View Single Post
Old 06-20-2021, 01:23 PM

Default Re: Please help with 'Cannot initialize device...' when hitting play

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
Make sure Windows isn’t using your Tascam as the “default sound device.” Avid is a diva (which oddly enough is avid spelled backwards) and doesn’t like to share the hardware. Assign all Windows sounds to the onboard soundcard, and let Pro Tools have the Tascam.
Thank you for the try, but this did not resolve the problem.

Windows default output/input device is set to be my Realtek audio device. Windows sounds play from that Realtek device.

Under the advanced section of the windows sound device settings, I can also see that Protools is set to use the Tascam for input and output, while all windows sounds are set to use the 'Default'. And default is set to be the Realtek.

In the Windows control panel, the Realtek is set to be the default.

I still cannot switch to a Protools session with a different sample rate - unless I first create a new blank session at that new rate.

When in this 'can't initialize US 16x08...' state, closing Protools takes forever (like 20 minutes?!?) which is of course terrible with a room full of musicians!! So I end up forcing it to close.

Sweetwater says to hold down N while Protools boots. This lets me see a list of audio devices to use. My choices are Realtek, and Tascam. So I chose Tascam, but the problem remains.

Yet, if I tell Protools to create a new blank session at the new sample rate, I can close that new session, and Protools is now in a state that it opens the desired session at the new rate.

So Protools is able to initialize this interface. It seems, but only by creating a new session?!?

I sent a request to Tascam but they have not responded.

I can't tell if this is a problem with Windows, Tascam or Protools!?!

It sure seems like a Protools problem since Protools is able to initialize the Tascam by creating a new session at the new rate.

ASUS PRIME Z390-A / Intel i7 rackmount PC
Windows 10 home 64 bit
Pro-Tools 11.3.1
AIR Instrument Expansion Pack v2
WAVES Platinum plugin bundle
Tascam US-16x08 Interface
100% Analog real time monitoring 16x4
Yamaha 16 channel MG16XU Analog Monitor Mixer
Yamaha MX-88 / Novation XiO keyboards
Mackie 4-channel headphone amp
Adam A8X monitors
Blue / Shure, etc. microphones

Estonia 6' 8" Parlor Grand Piano
Yamaha Studio Drum kit

https://www.dc-choppah.com/

Last edited by DC-Choppah; 06-20-2021 at 01:50 PM.