Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Digi 001 and other software... (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=58766)

mikedaul 02-26-2001 04:11 AM

Digi 001 and other software...

How does the Digi 001 handle other software - specifically cubase, gigastudio, etc. ?

thanks.

IOP Drummer 02-26-2001 09:24 AM

Re: Digi 001 and other software...

Digi 001 comes with wav drivers that allow almost every other program to use the first 2 chanels or the 001 card. Whether those first 2 chanels is the pre's or the s/p dif input is determined by the hardware settings. As far as Gigastudio goes, it will only use compatible cards, such as the Delta stuff. (I use the Delta 66 with it) In PT Gigastudio's 4 ports show up, but I have found that these don't work right. Sequencing is flawless, but playback never happens right. I have' to route the MIDI out of the DIGI card and back into my MidiSport Interface for GigaStudio to trigger the performances right. Don't know if it's my setup or one of these actual programs. I figure it's Pro Tools, cause every other Program on earth uses GigaStudios Virtual ports flawlessly, and PT is so not good for MIDI yet. Now, some programs like Logic audio support Digidesign, and have something called Direct IO. Within logic's hardware setup, you can initialze the Direct IO and use all 18 in and outs on the digi card. I'm not usre what other programs have Direct IO, but it's really handy. If you're a logic user, go to the DUC to find out how to get logic and 001 to work flawlessly. There is some workarounds that are needed, and there are NUMEROUS posts on them. Good luck!

nakedsingularity 02-26-2001 09:55 AM

Cubase and Giga won't work. Logic will only if you disable the wav profiler for the Digi 001 in the multimedia properties and remove the 001's MIDI drivers (actually, you can use 001's MIDI but it will crash Logic each time you exit).

Cakewalk is fine if wav driver is disabled from Cakewalk audio setup. Nuendo is no good. Quartz loads, then crashes.

Wavelab seems to work fine though, and if you install a different MIDI driver for your serial port, and set up Logic correctly, it seems to work fine as well, though some VST plugins still seem to crash it. Also, trying to access the 001's hardware setup from within Logic will crash it on occasion.

Hope this helps. Pulled enough of my own hair out - hate to see others in the same boat.

mikedaul 02-26-2001 11:08 AM

Thanks for the help - I was debating going to a digi 001 in order to use protools LE over protools free, but it seems that it's not worth the extra ducats - at least in the scope of my current needs.