Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 12 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Commit always consolidating clips? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=380712)

bing181 05-09-2016 05:46 AM

Commit always consolidating clips?

Trying to get my head around Commit.

Have some tracks with separate clips, but when I Commit, the resulting .cm track is always consolidated - even with "Consolidate Clips" disabled (not selected). Same whether I Commit an Edit Selection or whole track.

???

Thanks in advance.

DetroitT 05-09-2016 05:57 AM

Re: Commit always consolidating clips?

Since 12.5 not in 12.4?
Mac / PC

bing181 05-09-2016 05:59 AM

Ah … I'll answer my own question. I'd delete the post, but can't see how to do it … mods?

Anyway, it's because of the -144 dBFS noise floor. It seems that there are any number of plugins that have low level noise going on in the background, and I seem to use at least one of them on every track (e.g., Saturation plugin, Slate VMR or VTM etc.). These are enough to trigger the audio detection algorithm in Commit.

Any chance of a user-selected threshold, or a work around? Useless for me as it is.

Drew Mazurek 05-09-2016 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bing181 (Post 2355489)
Ah … I'll answer my own question. I'd delete the post, but can't see how to do it … mods?

simply click edit post.

As for Commit, simply use "selection" rather than selected tracks.

bing181 05-09-2016 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek (Post 2355501)
As for Commit, simply use "selection" rather than selected tracks.

If you mean "Edit Selection" as opposed to "Selected Tracks", it makes no difference to the result described above. I'm always getting consolidated clips - because of the plugins and the -144 threshold it seems.

Unless of course I do it clip by clip ... which isn't an option.

Drew Mazurek 05-09-2016 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bing181 (Post 2355504)
because of the plugins and the -144 threshold it seems.

got it. yes, dither, analog modeling, verb tails all have content down there.

bing181 05-09-2016 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek (Post 2355508)
got it. yes, dither, analog modeling, verb tails all have content down there.

Which makes Commit useless in many cases - or almost all of mine.

Drew Mazurek 05-09-2016 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bing181 (Post 2355512)

IMO, the concept of Commit is to render out and "future proof" tracks you're "done" with. It's perfect for that.

Stig Eliassen 05-09-2016 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bing181 (Post 2355512)

I'm sure you are aware of this, but as long as you're using plugins that introduce noise/saturation/etc, that is what you're hearing coming through your mix buss, and will therefore be commited. Separated clips in the timeline won't affect that.

bing181 05-09-2016 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stig Eliassen (Post 2355522)
...but as long as you're using plugins that introduce noise/saturation/etc, that is what you're hearing coming through your mix buss, and will therefore be commited. Separated clips in the timeline won't affect that.

Of course. But this is an hour-long session with a dozen or so Cues for a film with bits and pieces all over the place. It has to go to someone else for further editing, and having 40 or or so hour-long clips on each track would be catastrophic in terms of continuing to work with the material. It's essential that all the individual clips remain as they are, noise/saturation/etc. notwithstanding.