Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   any idea what these strange files are?? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=61320)

murph16 12-11-2001 03:26 PM

any idea what these strange files are??

Ever since I re-installed Pro Tools after a reformat a while back, I have a couple of strange folders and I don't know what they are.
Every time I open ProTools and click on open session, the "Choose session" window opens. In that window, there is a folder called "PT Files" (normal) and another folder marked "Restore" (i think this used to say "ProTools" before the re-install. I'm curious because the folder is kinda light-shaded, like it's not a full folder.
When I open it, inside there are two files...
one that looks like a driver/dll file that's named "desktop" and another named "SRDISKID.DAT".
I don't dare click on them for fear that something weird might happen.
If anyone knows, what are these? Can I move them? Should I move them?
They seem like they should be in a registry somewhere, but that's where my computer knowledge ends.
Everything is working beautifully on my system, but I'm being a bit anal. The simple answer is, of course, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", I know, but I just did a massive junk-file clean-up and regained 3 gigs on my drive, and I wanted to figure this nonsense out at the same time.

Regards,
The Stupid Question King [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Mark_Knecht 12-11-2001 05:27 PM

Re: any idea what these strange files are??

Murph,
I think the name depends a bit on which OS you're using, but on Win ME the Recycle Bin actually puts a greyed out folder on each drive called Recycled. From memory I though maybe on Win 98 or maybe NT it was called Restore.

Anyway, if you go poking around in your Windows directory, you should see a few more of these dudes. They are 'hidden' directories, but you have an option set to show you hidden directories, so it's doing that. The color lets you know it's not a normal folder. Double check me by right clicking the folder and checking out its properties. If I'm correct it should say hidden.

Cheers,
Mark

murph16 12-11-2001 05:37 PM

Mark,
Right On! It does indeed say Hidden. So now what? What should I do with it? Leave it alone? Is it deletable? Probably not. Should I move it?
I know it's not hurting anything. It just bothers me for some stupid reason.

BTW: My buddy and bass player for my band is named Mark Knight. I think Knecht is the same name in another language. No?

mattm 12-11-2001 05:55 PM

hey there murph106 and mark,
it's a part of windows me (and xp) called system restore. it's a hidden system folder that hangs out in the root directory of each drive where the operating system takes a "snapshot" of the os setup at pre determined intervals (you can also make them manually) to allow you to back-step incase, for example, you install new software and everything goes pear-shaped. use it with caution, though, as files not in my documents are treated with little respect! i personally choose to disable this feature but there's probably no need for you to do so.

learn more about it by opening help from the start menu and typing "system restore" in the search box.

~matt

murph16 12-11-2001 08:13 PM

Wait. I'm confused now. I don't have ME or XP. I'm running 98SE. Always have been. That is, always have been since I got ProTools. This computer came with Millenium (Gateway), but I put 98SE in before I installed PTLE.

Why would I have a Restore folder if I'm not running XP or Millenium? And I'm not quite sure I'm understanding you guys. Why is this folder sitting in my D drive next to my PT Files folder?
It only showed up there after I re-installed Pro Tools. Could that have something to do with it?

I appreciate the time, guys. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Mark_Knecht 12-11-2001 09:19 PM

Murph,
I'm pretty sure it was there all the time, or didn't need to be there until something was deleted.

Go to My Computer, open it up, go to Tools-Folder Options-View and look for 'Show Hidden Files and System Folders. Tell the system to NOT show them to you.

You'll be happier! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Mark

murph16 12-11-2001 09:27 PM

THAT'S what I'm talkin 'bout!!!
Thanks Mark. That did it. And I am happier!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Man, tech support has got to be thrilled to have this DUC! Imagine how long on-hold times would be if we had to go to them for these stupid questions??

You guys ROCK!! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Bastiaan 12-11-2001 10:26 PM

Knecht in dutch (and i also think in german) means helper/apprentice. Now i think the original meaning of knight is the same, but evolved to the guys wearing all the armour. (helpers for the blue-blooded)

Bastiaan

PS. i am dutch....

Mark_Knecht 12-12-2001 07:34 AM

Bastiaan,
Your definitions are very similar to what I learned in high school German here in California.

My understanding is that Knecht meant knight in old (Gothic?) German. From what I understood it branched and when two directions:

1) Some sort of a helper or butler, based on the idea that a knight was a servent of the king.

2) Some sort of foreman for a farm or collective, based on the idea that knights rode horses. (Knecht & Kleinknecht come from this derivation?)

Anyway, I have this old family tree that a Great Grandparent did with over 300 names going back into the 1500's. Wanna help me translate? I'll give you an honorary Knecht title for doing the dirty work! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Cheers,
Mark

mattm 12-12-2001 09:45 AM

hmmm. interesting. restore folder in 98SE huh? perhaps it's left over from when you used ME, assuming the drive it is on was there whilst ME was still the installed OS. that's the only thing i can think of as i can tell you with good authority that no version of windows 98, released or beta, prior to ME incorporated system restore...