Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Let's hear your latest stuff....right here (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=60365)

Jorge442 02-27-2002 10:06 PM

Re: Let\'s hear your latest stuff....right here

IOP Drummer

awesome! phew......fo´ real, i liked the panning effect with the synth/keys.......how did you do it? sounds killer!

I started to think that maybe the vocals needed to be a little brighter, but then again they do sound nice and warm the way they are,,,,,

speaking of panning, nice job Roy! Lovers actually made me tickle, that MUST be good!
very nice

jorge

Roy Howell 02-27-2002 11:51 PM

tcnort/Travis,
I just listened to your stuff, and man, it's refreshing. It's not super-slick production stuff, but you sure do make honesty sound great. I certainly prefer it to a one-key drum loop 'song'.

Deep Pitt is right, 'Hey Yeah' is killer, but I like 'Brain Magic' myself. Exceptional songwriting man. Made me want to sit in with you guys... (If you need any guitars or slide, let me know ...).

You asked me about 'Lovers'. For one thing, I played what would normally be one 16-bar Strat part as 4 separate 4-bar parts, and panned each separately. Nice effect. But, I also created a bunch of Strat samples using different harmonics and things, and used them in the background. Thank you for your complement, too.

Roy

billt 02-28-2002 06:48 PM

Roy,

I just listened to "Lovers". What a fabulously full, lush sound! Your playing is great, as always. The sampled Strat approach is very unique.

BillT [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

BigRedButton 03-01-2002 10:51 AM

BigRedButton 03-01-2002 10:55 AM

By the way...

Roy, great stuff - very moody!

The quality of stuff posted around here has been especially great lately. Keep up the good work y'all!

Roy Howell 03-01-2002 11:10 AM

BRButton, Bill,and Jorge, thanks VERY much.

~Roy

jon sutton 03-01-2002 05:19 PM

tcnort. brain magic reminds me (just a tad) of neil diamond. and THAT kicks ass.

IOP Drummer 03-01-2002 06:46 PM

Jorge -
The panning effect on the synths was done this way -
I took the original synth and audiosuited on a new track a nasty chorus/phaser. I probably created it with the digirack delay, as they are great! Anyway, the effect had real wide depth and a medium rate. Like a real chorusy out of tune up and down sound. I then put a delay on it with medium feedback, to kind of smooth it all out. I then barely mixed it in, with the original keys panned dead center and automation -panned the effected one all around. Just made one pass with autotouch and the mouse! The thought of doing this came to me because the original keys part just stopped dead and it annoyed me, the sudden change. I just wanted to smooth it out. For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, go to
Genomefactor and check out the song. The part I'm talking about is the second verse.

Oh, by the way the drums are 4 mics in a garage. I Just used 1 tom, 1 cymbal, kick, snare, ride and hats. Rooms were SM57's with an oktava 012 on the snare and an SM81 on the kick. How's that for experimenting? Came out sounding pretty good if you ask me.

Threnody 03-01-2002 07:32 PM

Hey Jorge,
Man I was checking out you site, and I got to listen to your stuff, I just want to tell you that it's really good. Man you're a killer on the drums, and bass on "worms" sounds great too as well as the guitars, keep it up!!!
Let us know when the cd come out.

My Threnody

GP 03-01-2002 10:14 PM

Roy, when's the album..er...cd coming out! BTW, I think it should be called "Lovers". Great work bro. I like the sampled Strat idea. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]