Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2018 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=157)
-   -   Recording late with -ve user offset on delay compensation (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=403966)

smokeydan 04-02-2019 03:36 PM

Recording late with -ve user offset on delay compensation

Hi,

I have had an issue today where audio I have recorded has printed late (around 1400 samples late) on the timeline - The performer noticed first, and after a bit of experimentation (recording the click track back into ProTools via the foldback whilst making various plugs inactive/trying different routing etc)

I eventually determined that the issue was that some time ago, I had put a -ve user offset of 1400ish samples on an unrelated audio track (to get a distant ambient/room mic to play back in phase with a close mic.) When I set the user offset to zero, protools records the click just 84 samples behind the grid - which I'll put down to converter delays etc and is obviously far more acceptable (The signal path for foldback monitoring in this studio means the audio is being converted from digital>analog>digital>analog again because of the way the Hearback system is being connected)

This isn’t something I have encountered before, although I regularly use this technique to time align room mics - Is this expected behaviour and I just hadn't noticed before? I can’t find any reference to this in the Pro Tools manual.

Or is it a bug or undocumented change in the behaviour of the delay compensation system - if so, since when has it worked this way?

Has anybody else had this issue?

I’m using a trashcan mac, High Sierra, PT Ultimate 2018.12 (I think!) & a sonnet Chassis with HDx cards

smokeydan 07-16-2019 02:55 PM

Re: Recording late with -ve user offset on delay compensation

Just me then?

Husmas 08-16-2020 07:33 AM

Little late, but nope.
Did you ever fix this?

pherzfeld 06-15-2021 03:22 PM

I had this issue today, over a decade later. Any info?

smokeydan 02-02-2023 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pherzfeld (Post 2604370)
I had this issue today, over a decade later. Any info?

Honestly, I don't know if its been fixed or not, I just stopped using -ve user offsets!

albee1952 02-03-2023 11:19 AM

Need more info before any help. What is the maximum latency on any track? Exactly how are you(the player) monitoring?(IOW, is the player listening to the main mix). Any latency inducing plugins on the master track? I ask because I did plenty of recordings with VI's in PT 2018 and never had an issue(but I run Windows):o