Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Tips & Tricks (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Sony EQ vs Waves Linear EQ in mix (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=9184)

dirktones 07-29-2002 01:50 PM

Sony EQ vs Waves Linear EQ in mix

What is your opinion on the Waves EQ vs Sony Eq in the context of a mix (rather then in mastering) on stuff like drums, vox, etc.

Jules 07-29-2002 04:26 PM

Re: Sony EQ vs Waves Linear EQ in mix

The Sony EQ has a sample delay of 4 samples.. I thought the Waves one had a very large sample delay... or am I confusing that with a mastering version.... I duno..

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Corey Shay 07-30-2002 01:48 AM

The linear phase eq is the mastering eq. It seems that is what dirktones is referring to. I tried the waves demo once on guitars and I was quite impressed. I felt both the sony and waves held up very well, but unfortunately the delay on the waves was much too high. I didn't spend too much time comparing because of the delay problem, but I was certainly intrigued. If I bought the Waves linear eq, it might be more trouble than it's worth to get it in time with the rest of my tracks.

jackruston 07-30-2002 03:20 AM

Corey is right. The delay is just too great. It's fine if you just have to nudge things a tiny bit, (and you dont really have to bother with 4 samples on a guitar) but when you're dragging regions all over the place it's a nightmare. The sony is also easier to use.
J

uno1234 07-30-2002 03:53 AM

I don't like the Waves linear EQ because it's sound is good but overrated, and it's so darn hard to use. Not only is there a very large sample delay, the plug takes up an excessive amount of DSP and functions very slowly. The controls are slow to react, and there is a pop as Waves usual when you cut in and out the low freq. The Sony Oxford GML is way way waaaayyyy better in terms of functionality, and arguably comparable, if not better, in terms of sound. At least it's easier to use, so as a result, I naturally EQ better!

etherize 07-30-2002 04:50 AM

I wonder if Jules is Beta testing the upcoming GML EQ....just smile if the answer is yes Jules [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I am putting off my purchase of the Sony EQ until Massenberg comes out... Hopefully it will be priced better...

JJ-SOUND 07-30-2002 03:52 PM

The Waves Linear phase EQ is completely different type of EQ then Sony EQ or any other EQ like Waves RenEQ and many others.

Sony and the other introduce phase distortion, these filters are sometimes called minimum phase filters. on the other hand LinEQ and LinMultiband are based in linear phase filters. the only way to achieve this is by introducing a latency on the audio! the more the latency the higher resolution are the filters. The benefit of these filters are that the group delay of each frequency is constant and the phase is linear. this allows you to manipulate the sound in a very different approach. The Lin EQ is good if you are looking for new sounds and tools. If you are looking for "analog" type tools, you need to look at Sony and RenEQ

RenEQ has been doing very similar curves and controls. Also RenEQ has a very short latency...

dirktones 07-30-2002 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by JJ-SOUND:
The Waves Linear phase EQ is completely different type of EQ then Sony EQ or any other EQ like Waves RenEQ and many others.

Sony and the other introduce phase distortion, these filters are sometimes called minimum phase filters. on the other hand LinEQ and LinMultiband are based in linear phase filters. the only way to achieve this is by introducing a latency on the audio! the more the latency the higher resolution are the filters. The benefit of these filters are that the group delay of each frequency is constant and the phase is linear. this allows you to manipulate the sound in a very different approach. The Lin EQ is good if you are looking for new sounds and tools. If you are looking for "analog" type tools, you need to look at Sony and RenEQ

RenEQ has been doing very similar curves and controls. Also RenEQ has a very short latency...

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thanks for clearing that. Here are my problems with Renn EQ: First off, when I try to cut lower midrange with it, say from close mic'd drums or muddy vocals, I find it a bit akward sounding. I also think the high end is brittle if pushed too hard. Most importantly, and I've seen others say this, it kind of puts an overall "haze" on the track it is used on. I've been using Filterbank with better results but am still looking for better. The Sony seems the way to go.

Mikey MTC 07-30-2002 11:40 PM

I think they're two completely different beasts and they're both brilliant. EQ is such a difficult thing to describe but here's my take on it:

The Oxford adds a colour and the Lin EQ is almost seemless. Recently I've been using the Oxford almost all the time, but the other day I had to remaster an old vinly recording from the 70's and the Oxford wasn't doing it for me. I pulled out the Lin EQ and it just made it sound right without sounding like it was doing anything. It added no signature to the sound.

I've almost come up with a personal rule that if something needs colour or warmth, go for the Oxford. If something is already very coloured and just needs ridiculously clean EQ without any attitude, the Lin EQ is the gun.

I'm so glad to have both!!

Jules 07-31-2002 12:41 AM

No ... I dont have HD (yet) - so I cant Beta test for GM. Although he did hook me up personally for his GML Sony version. Rocking guy that he is....

Sigh....its not all a bed of roses in beta land...

[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Very hard day with beta stuff today and all I need to do is mix! HArooomph!

[img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]