Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Expert Cirtification: Employment? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=172782)

RobertMonaghan 07-20-2006 03:12 PM

Expert Cirtification: Employment?

Hey guys! I'm juggling the idea of getting my expert cirtification form DigiDesign, and I was wondering what jobs that I could land, without a bachlors. I'll have my AA in 3 months, and I was wondering what oppertunities I would have of landing a good gig or a good job. Is it worth the money to get the cirtificate and not the bachlors? I've been looking on job boards and I can't seen to find anything on Pro Tools experience wanted, etc.... SOMEONE PLEASE INFORM ME!

Robert

EAR 07-20-2006 04:21 PM

Re: Expert Cirtification: Employment?

I would adivise you to wait until Digi gets their training thing worked. I feel like they have dropped the ball. I completed my Digi PT 7 User Certification 2 months ago. I still have not received my Certificate! I still have not been able to create a PT 7 Certified User listing on the Digi website! I still a have not received my Free swag! I still have yet to be able to use Digi logos on my business cards.

I teach at a Community College and find the lack of response of Digi's part unprofessional and unacceptable. If I conducted business the way this has been handled, I'd be looking for a new job.

Certification classes the first 2 days were a complete joke. The instructor spent over half the time screwing around on the internet showing students different sites unrelated to course content.
We received about 3-3.5 hours of traiing each of the first 2 days. 1 student even stopped coming because it was so unprofessional in his opinion. Let me clarify that this was a Pro School and not Digi conducting the training.So I do not hold Digi accountable for what happened in the class, just the follow thru. By the way, I did successfully complete all of my examines.

Because of Digi's unresponsiveness I think that they are sending the message that certification is not really something to be acheived.

By the way, Digi makes their money by selling the training materials to the Training Centers. I don't know how much they regulate them.

RobertMonaghan 07-21-2006 02:42 PM

Quote:

I would adivise you to wait until Digi gets their training thing worked. I feel like they have dropped the ball. I completed my Digi PT 7 User Certification 2 months ago. I still have not received my Certificate! I still have not been able to create a PT 7 Certified User listing on the Digi website! I still a have not received my Free swag! I still have yet to be able to use Digi logos on my business cards.

I teach at a Community College and find the lack of response of Digi's part unprofessional and unacceptable. If I conducted business the way this has been handled, I'd be looking for a new job.

Certification classes the first 2 days were a complete joke. The instructor spent over half the time screwing around on the internet showing students different sites unrelated to course content.
We received about 3-3.5 hours of traiing each of the first 2 days. 1 student even stopped coming because it was so unprofessional in his opinion. Let me clarify that this was a Pro School and not Digi conducting the training.So I do not hold Digi accountable for what happened in the class, just the follow thru. By the way, I did successfully complete all of my examines.

Because of Digi's unresponsiveness I think that they are sending the message that certification is not really something to be acheived.

By the way, Digi makes their money by selling the training materials to the Training Centers. I don't know how much they regulate them.

Thanks man, it sounds like they don't have their stuff together. I better just get my bachlors in music!

EAR 08-26-2006 11:30 PM

Re: Expert Certification: Employment?

Quote:

Update:
Still haven't received my Digi PT HD 7 Operators Certificate or free swag, nor can I create a listing, or retrieve logos and artwork. What's up?

Kurdt 08-27-2006 07:24 AM

What does the institution you took the test at say about this? Leading up to when I was certified I was concerned about what version I would be certified for. I was trained on both 6.4 and 7.1. After much communuication with Digi it was found out that they are still in a "transitional" period and were still only offering version 6x training, not yet 7. So I became certified for 6x. No problem really, I have been using 7 since day one at home and the certification was just a natural part of my education.

But interestingly enough I was able and did create a profile for myself the same day I passed, received my certificate and swag in the mail about a week later, and am able to download the logos.

Again, all this happening within the last month or so...

blue demon 08-27-2006 01:52 PM

It's been my experience that being pro tools certified means nothing in the real world. I also think that having an AA is not enough. You should have a BS under your belt. Many places I've dealt with when looking for a job want someone with a BS at least. No one has ever asked or required that I be pro tools certified. People want to see experience and a BS on your resume.

EAR 08-27-2006 09:09 PM

Update 08/27/06:

http://www.promediatraining.com/foru...asc&highlight=

Barnabas 08-28-2006 07:01 PM

Contact the businesses that you would like to work for and ask them what kind of certification they are looking for in new hires.

evoltuions_end 09-03-2006 05:16 AM

i study at the only authorised trainer in my state, and ill admit it took them 2 months to send out the training manuals for PT7. im reading through it now and the caption of a picture says 'type image caption here'.

my training is over 3 years, but ill have an internationally recognised advanced diploma of audio production. but hoesntly, at the end of the day, you either know how to use PT or you dont. thats that bascially..

bigbadhenchman 09-03-2006 02:02 PM

Quote:

my training is over 3 years, but ill have an internationally recognised advanced diploma of audio production. but hoesntly, at the end of the day, you either know how to use PT or you dont. thats that bascially..

Internationnallyh recignised as what?

I'm sorry, but i work at one of the largest facilities here in Vancouver, and noby cares anythign about any kind of digi certification.

And it's not how good you know pro-tools either. It's the job you DO when using it.
I don't care how quick you are on the program. if what you deliver is crap, you won't get hired again.
Certification or not.