Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   East-West Opus software (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=416442)

Media Man 08-01-2021 04:53 AM

East-West Opus software

Is anyone having trouble using East West Opus and it's sample libraries as a plug-in to Pro Tools?

Asking for a friend. He has no problem recording numerous midi tracks that play back just fine using the Opus Player plug-in, but when he closes the session and re-opens the next day, or even a few minutes later, Opus plug-ins are randomly greyed out and inactive, and cannot be re-activated, with various error messages that Opus tech support says Avid does not even understand. Closing and opening a second time causes more Opus tracks to become inactive.

A new beta version was provided, but the problem was not fixed at all .... now just an error message about "lack of resources", which can't possibly be true.

Asking for a friend. Everything else in Pro Tools is working fine.

Question #2 ... what is your sample library of choice for orchestral type stuff?

Media Man

His system is Pro Tools 2021.x
Lenovo i7
Windows 10
SSL 2+

cqd 08-01-2021 05:28 AM

Re: East-West Opus software

Opus does still seem a bit temperamental in pro tools..

I've been hosting it in ve pro, and it's been fine, but there can be moments where I'm holding my breath..

I'd imagine it will keep getting more stable, but yeah..

My next/first choice would be cinesamples..
But again you've to host in vepro for better performance really..

Media Man 08-02-2021 09:54 AM

In the case of my friend the problem is consistent.

You can create a session with many instances of Opus on instrument channels, and it all works just fine.

But when you close the PT session and open it later, random tracks are "inactivated" and cannot be reactivated without an error message. We have not determined if they are in reverse order of when they were created.

Closing it again, and re-opening it later results in MORE tracks becoming inactivated.

Media Man

Obsidian Dragon 08-02-2021 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Man (Post 2609363)
now just an error message about "lack of resources", which can't possibly be true.

His system is Pro Tools 2021.x
Lenovo i7
Windows 10
SSL 2+

May we have some more information about the system? It may be hardware conflicts, software conflicts, plugin compatibility, RAM limitation, drive storage limitation, processing threads, system configuration or optimizations settings, etc.

This will provide information on how to post system information so people can help.

LightWing 08-02-2021 03:02 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I've had this issue since DAY ONE Opus was released. Worked with the EW Director of Support and they made several fixes to Opus over the first weeks of it's release and could never solve this exact problem. I was so frustrated I just said to heck with it and have been using it under Studio One 5 where it works flawlessly.

LightWing 08-02-2021 03:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
System is a Dell 7910, 2 x 10 Core Xeon Processors, 128GB RAM, All SSD Drives, latest version of PT. Tried generating a Sandra report the that kicked an "unexpected error".

Media Man 08-02-2021 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon (Post 2609436)
May we have some more information about the system? It may be hardware conflicts, software conflicts, plugin compatibility, RAM limitation, drive storage limitation, processing threads, system configuration or optimizations settings, etc.

This will provide information on how to post system information so people can help.

System details in the first post. Plenty of RAM and system and sample library on SSD drives.

cqd 08-02-2021 04:43 PM

Have you opened Opus in standalone and adjusted how much was loaded into ram?..

Think that made a difference for me, but yeah, Vienna ensemble made it workable..

Media Man 08-02-2021 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LightWing (Post 2609447)
I've had this issue since DAY ONE Opus was released. Worked with the EW Director of Support and they made several fixes to Opus over the first weeks of it's release and could never solve this exact problem. I was so frustrated I just said to heck with it and have been using it under Studio One 5 where it works flawlessly.

Sounds about right. No tech support number we can find. No coordination between different tech guys that respond to live chat.

Got a new beta a few days ago and error message switch to "not enough processing power", which is not the case.

Media Man 08-02-2021 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cqd (Post 2609454)
Have you opened Opus in standalone and adjusted how much was loaded into ram?..

Think that made a difference for me, but yeah, Vienna ensemble made it workable..

Didn't notice that adjustment, nor was it mentioned by tech support. I'll look for it.