Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2020 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   Can someone please explain Ableton Link (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=412150)

TornadoTed 10-07-2020 06:10 AM

Can someone please explain Ableton Link

Can you sync Ableton Live and Pro Tools via Ableton link running on the same computer? I know it can be done using ReWire but only with a 'light' version of Ableton with lots of features disabled.

Every mention I have seen says that it can sync with another Ableton Link device as long as they are connected to the same LAN, no mention of the same computer.

I currently sequence my MIDI hardware with Pro Tools and use it as a live digital mixer monitoring all my hardware synths where I can mix, add effects and process etc. I would be interested in moving the MIDI sequencing side to Ableton. How would it work with setting up the audio interface, MIDI interface etc. Can 2 DAW's share devices?

Marsdy 10-07-2020 07:01 AM

Re: Can someone please explain Ableton Link

Quote:

Originally Posted by TornadoTed (Post 2579648)
Can you sync Ableton Live and Pro Tools via Ableton link running on the same computer? I know it can be done using ReWire but only with a 'light' version of Ableton with lots of features disabled.

Every mention I have seen says that it can sync with another Ableton Link device as long as they are connected to the same LAN, no mention of the same computer.

I currently sequence my MIDI hardware with Pro Tools and use it as a live digital mixer monitoring all my hardware synths where I can mix, add effects and process etc. I would be interested in moving the MIDI sequencing side to Ableton. How would it work with setting up the audio interface, MIDI interface etc. Can 2 DAW's share devices?

Yes Link works with both DAWs running on the same computer. Just enable Link in both PT and Live. It depends what you want to do though because it’s not the same as syncing using MTC.

Linking MIDI between DAWs can be done with IAC on a Mac. I’m connecting Live or Logic audio to pro tools via hardware. I have a Focusrite Rednet PCIe card piping audio via Dante into an Avid MTRX Studio via Dante.

Stephen Bond 10-07-2020 07:55 AM

Using two apps on the same computer means they are inherently on the same network. I have only tried it with iMachine 2 on the iPhone with the MacBook. It certainly played back in sync AOK so I am sure those on the same PC will be good too?

Stephen

ratava911 11-17-2020 03:59 PM

I know this used to be (or perhaps still is) using rewire to route ableton into pro tools.. .How is it done with ableton link? I've tried changing the output for tracks in ableton but I can't figure out how to get them to connect in protools

Is rewire still needed??? If not, how do you route ableton tracks to audio/instrument tracks from ableton to protools??

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsdy (Post 2579650)
Yes Link works with both DAWs running on the same computer. Just enable Link in both PT and Live. It depends what you want to do though because it’s not the same as syncing using MTC.

Linking MIDI between DAWs can be done with IAC on a Mac. I’m connecting Live or Logic audio to pro tools via hardware. I have a Focusrite Rednet PCIe card piping audio via Dante into an Avid MTRX Studio via Dante.

Sardi 11-17-2020 05:59 PM

Link only provides tempo sync. It does not pass audio.

ReWire has been deprecated so there won’t be support for it moving forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ratava911 11-17-2020 06:01 PM

oh wow.. that sucks. I guess I'll see if re-wire works in 2020.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sardi (Post 2584060)
Link only provides tempo sync. It does not pass audio.

ReWire has been deprecated so there won’t be support for it moving forward.

Sardi 11-17-2020 06:04 PM

If the goal is to pipe audio from Live to PT, you might need to use Ableton Link for the sync and then use something like Loopback to route the audio back into PT.

Ben Jenssen 11-17-2020 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sardi (Post 2584063)
If the goal is to pipe audio from Live to PT, you might need to use Ableton Link for the sync and then use something like Loopback to route the audio back into PT.

That is mac only. Core audio on mac.

ratava911 11-17-2020 06:54 PM

Could someone give me the steps to do this... Sorry. This is documented absolutely nowhere! I have been googling for hours!!!

Sardi 11-18-2020 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen (Post 2584064)
That is mac only. Core audio on mac.

It is and the poster in question lists Mac OS in his system specs.