Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   MIDI (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   USB Midi in PT LE8 (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=264897)

-Dialogue 01-21-2010 07:37 PM

USB Midi in PT LE8

Heyhey!

Will a USB to MIDI I/O cable work with myset up (002rack that already has the MIDI I/O being used and PT LE8)? I'd like to connect my MIDI keyboard via USB to MIDI I/O cable. I can see the "USB MIDI In" on the instrument and MIDI track, but I select it and record enable, start hitting keys on my keyboard, but nothing shows. Do I need to set up the USB Midi somehow, or will it simply not work?

Thanks!

DonaldM 01-22-2010 08:25 AM

Re: USB Midi in PT LE8

Are you saying that if you instantiate a VI on an instrument track, say Xpand, and play that track via your midi controller, nothing happens?

flommer 01-22-2010 10:33 AM

What keyboard are you talking about? What model?

Open up Audio Midi Setup (from the Utilities folder) and look at the MIDI window.

You may need to do some configuration in there or install a driver possibly..

"USB MIDI In" is a very generic description and it tells me that the device is maybe not being fully recognized by OSX

-Dialogue 01-22-2010 03:17 PM

The keyboard is VERY OLD. It's a Concertmate 980

What configurations would I need to do, or would I still be able to get a driver for this?

-Dialogue 01-22-2010 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonaldM (Post 1539019)
Are you saying that if you instantiate a VI on an instrument track, say Xpand, and play that track via your midi controller, nothing happens?

I guess haha. I play the keyboard and nothing happens on the Midi track. I have an Instrument track setup with the Grand VI set on the inserts and on the Midi track I have it setup to the Grand.

This might help. When I have my E-drum set plugged in with Midi into my 002rack, it shows up on the MIDI track using the Grand VI instead of using the USB Midi in cable. Even though I have the USB Midi In selected on the track.

flommer 01-22-2010 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -Dialogue (Post 1539288)
This might help. When I have my E-drum set plugged in with Midi into my 002rack, it shows up on the MIDI track using the Grand VI instead of using the USB Midi in cable. Even though I have the USB Midi In selected on the track.

Wait a second.. That's a different kind of problem.

If you do this:
New session

New instrument track. Do not change any inputs or outputs.

Insert a plugin. Xpand or whatever.

Record enable the track.

Play the keyboard...
Are you saying under these exact circumstances that you get no reaction on the Instrument track?

If so check 2 things: Setup>MIDI>inputs make sure "USB Midi device" is checked so it is available as an input. Also make sure "MIDI thru" is checked (options menu I think)..

I initially thought that your keyboard had a USB connector, but I see that you must be using something like this: 1 x 1 USB MIDI Interface

-Dialogue 01-23-2010 01:27 AM

Yes, exactly. I am using a 1 x 1 USB MIDI Interface cable. I did as you said. I did not create a midi track, only a new session with an instrument track with xpand2 as the insert, record enabled. I play the keyboard and nothing.

The USB Midi Device is checked aswell as MIDI thru.

flommer 01-23-2010 09:33 AM

OK, now you need to go through the process of elimination to figure out what is the source of the problem..

Connect your e-drums to the MIDI USB adapter... If they work then that points to the keyboard..

Connect the keyboard to the 002 MIDI ports.. If that works then that points to the USB-MIDI adapter..

If the problem is the keyboard, then get the manual online and really study the MIDI implementation. You may have to change some setting so that it actually transmits MIDI. Those beginner/consumer type keyboards really don't seem to have been designed to be good MIDI controllers... You will definitely be better off in the long run picking up a proper MIDI controller keyboard and most of them have USB built in.. These would be a good starting point. If your needs are very basic then a Korg NanoKey is about $50..

If the problem is the cable, then go to the mfgr's website and see if a driver is required or available. I have a MIDIsport 2x2 interface and it does require a driver on OSX, so the assumption is that other MIDI USB devices may as well..

-Dialogue 01-23-2010 02:53 PM

Ok, thank you. I'll do some tests tonight and let you know!

-Dialogue 01-24-2010 01:03 AM

I plugged the keyboard into the Midi port of the 002 rack and it worked perfectly. After some attemps I went in and messed around with some Midi settings and I got it to work. Just had to set up it, by default it was connected, but the Ins and Outs weren't setup inside midi devices?? Anyways, thanks for all the help!