Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Let's hear your latest stuff....right here (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=60365)

dwkick 09-14-2003 09:14 PM

Re: Let\'s hear your latest stuff....right here

I don't know how much I can offer. I'm certainly not on the level most people on here seem to be on. To me it sounds like a heck of a start. Me being a drummer am not to fond of loops and machines but can appreciate them.. that could be part of the sterility of it. IMO. Bass line will help also. Again though I think it sounds good. Guitar has a good sound. Let me know when you've worked on it some more.

Steve

Roy Howell 09-14-2003 09:25 PM

DaBasstard/Brian....killer, man... Reason is amazing, but it's only as good as who's running it. Cool piece...
~rh

Roy Howell 09-15-2003 12:23 AM

remains,
I listened to the first two (so far), 'Best Friend' and 'Break'...the mixes sound really good. I like those 'stop' part chords in 'Break'...really different. And 'Break' is cool too... Good stuff, man.
thanks for the listen... Roy

Aussie169 09-15-2003 05:31 AM

Hey Rockrev
I think generally what has been recorded sounds good and clean, well done. My main concern is the tempo. I think it's a little on the slow and durgy side. I loaded the file into Soundforge and sped it up so that the song was 90% of its original length. It kicked along very nicely. Try it and see. If you don't have the means to do this, drop me an email and I'll send you my result.
Add in a fairly active bass line and you've got a good song.
Well done.

rockrev 09-15-2003 09:46 AM

Thanks dwkick and aussie,

Yeah, the bass line is a given. I'm hoping that it will fill in all of the low emptiness (as is should). As far as the tempo is concerned, well I've struggled with that for a while now. Sometimes I like it faster and sometimes I like it at a steady crawl. Maybe I'll play with it a little more.

I think what bothers me the most are the vocals. They sound thin with too much presence and not enough meat. I think it's more than EQ . . . must be the digi 001 pre. When I track the keeper vocals I'll try a Focusrite Green Range Voicebox but use the same mic (Mircotech Gefell UMT70S - the "real" Neumann). I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks again!

rockrev

Jay Terrien 09-15-2003 09:56 AM

PLEASE REVIEW!!

Here are some new MP3s, remixes where I added some compression on the master fader about as untastefully as you can imagine. I now get this tinny distortion when the vox and guitars crescendo. Back to the drawing board.

http://grasstain.com/mp3/Disarray/Alexis.mp3
"We all are lining up to see her tragic member in a jar!"

http://grasstain.com/mp3/Disarray/Float%20Up.mp3
"Oh, she wanted offspring. And I gave her DING DING WELL!!"

http://grasstain.com/mp3/Disarray/Missionary.mp3
"Jeffrey Dahmer handshakes with your family"

Jay

rogerhavoc 09-15-2003 12:13 PM

Hey Guys,

I have a new song HERE that is kind of Jazzy mixed up with Hip Hop. It is just a minute long tough... (Fast Downloading) I would appreciate if you guys could give me any suggestions… I’m not used to record Jazz and Hip Hop. Also I’ve been updating my web page , and fell free to visit. It’s not finished yet and comments would be welcome as well. Keep up the good work guys. BTW, I have a compilation with almost all songs from this thread…. GOOD STUFF!!!

Have a excellent and successful day,

Roger Havoc

da BaSsTaRd! 09-15-2003 12:57 PM

Quote:

BTW, I have a compilation with almost all songs from this thread…. GOOD STUFF!!!

i got you beat... check it out, and its stream-able...

haven't updated it in a while, but i have over 200 songs. maybe i'll do that this week...

rogerhavoc 09-15-2003 01:13 PM

da BaSsTaRd!

Excellent idea!!!
Thanks for checking my beat! If you want to add more of my stuff on your stream list, go to this LINK !!!

HIP JAZZ

Thanks

Roger Havoc

Drastikpup1 09-15-2003 02:25 PM

Hey Row how are you? I know we have not gotten along very well in the past but I am a fan of your songwriting, production and last but not least guitar skills.

I was just listening to your tunes on DaBastards site and I like it. Good use of synth bass in the first tune. I am hearing some ZZ-Top influence in the "ShutUpBabay Song" also some "Alice -N- Chains "Jar of Flies" style guitar influence.

What effects box are you running through?

Do you like Jerry Cantrell? I was allways a Alice -N- Chains fan.

So far my favorite is the "Gypsy Waltz" so many influences rolled into one. Very Very well done!

You are obviously a David Gillmore fan!!!!!!

Mudslide Blues is a good tune no bass line? Hi-Hats are a bit jumpy, maybee break out the crash and open hat or ride in some of the heavier parts?

Great guitar work on that track.

I like the rain stick intro on golbins moon. I hear an RP300 effect with the guitar? I also like the flam roll into the second verse for midi thats very real sounding.

See I am not such a bad guy, just too busy to devote 90% of my off time to the DUC.

Peace bro and keep up the inpiration for us. If there is one thing I learned from listening to your stuff it is that midi production can still be a very powerfull tool combined with some good old guitar and talent!!!

Peace!

Justin Lynch

I now want to break out my S5000 again and my JV1080 that have been collecting too much dust!

Thank You Roy!! I am now a Fan!!