Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Artist Series (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Share Your Favorite Transport Setups.. (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=325128)

tomhartman 07-07-2012 09:38 AM

Share Your Favorite Transport Setups..

As a new user of Transport and Mix, I've set up some things I use often as shortcuts, but got to wondering what many of you have found super helpful to have and how yours is set up to make things move as quickly as possible.

Anyone like to share their setup ideas and what works well for you?

Thanks
Tom

sartis 07-08-2012 10:10 PM

Re: Share Your Favorite Transport Setups..

I have an artist control and would enjoy seeing other peoples setups as well.

Ryan Young 07-08-2012 11:14 PM

Hopefully these captures are explanatory enough :) I'm mostly a post-production guy and I use these primarily for my dialog editorial and during the mix. I use a combination of hotkeys, macros, window layouts, and memory locations. Hope these give some ideas to you.

Here's an old template I made, but it shows what it looks like on the unit.

Surface - Page 1

Surface - Page 2

Touchscreen - Page 1

Frank Kruse 07-08-2012 11:43 PM

Only slightly off-topic:

Is there a way to take my personal setup to a different studio? Is there a way to export/import the setup and then import a page into the other control without wiping the custom settings on the other unit?

Also:
How can I move my softkey sessings from page 135 to page 1 without manually setting everything up from scratch again?

Cheers,

frank.

JR Fountain 07-09-2012 07:03 AM

On the soft keys mine looks like this...

Preview - Suspend - Latch - Touch - Trim - Read

On the number pad it's...

Write to end - Continuous (No Scroll w/Shift) - Enable plugin
Punch Preview - Enable volume - Enable send volume
Auto Match - Enable pan - Enable send mute
Mem Loc - Mem Loc - Mem Loc
Mem Loc - Mem Loc - Mem Loc
Show all tracks

I'm a post guy as well. Hope that helps.

JR

Ryan Young 07-09-2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kruse (Post 1947235)
Is there a way to take my personal setup to a different studio?

Yes, you can find your user set here:
Macintosh HD>Library>Application Support>Euphonix>UserSets>MC2User>MC_USER_SET__Roo t>Pro Tools 10Mac.xml (if you're using PT10)
It must be named "Pro Tools 10Mac.xml" or "Pro Tools 9Mac.xml" for it to work. If you're overwriting an existing user set, make sure to back everything up and rename properly.

Quote:

Is there a way to export/import the setup and then import a page into the other control without wiping the custom settings on the other unit?
I'm not too sure.

Quote:

How can I move my softkey sessings from page 135 to page 1 without manually setting everything up from scratch again?
If you edit that "Pro Tools 10Mac.xml" file, you'll find something like this...
<NormalKeys>
<Control ID="SoftKey1" TYPE="SmartSwitch">
<Label FONT="Arial Bold" FONTSIZE="12.0000" NAME="Declicker" NOTEXT="1" TYPE="Text"/>
<CommandSet SUBTYPE="OneShot">
<Command ID="1" TYPE="Key">\p. \p1 \p* </Command>
</CommandSet>
</Control>

It's a bit of coding work but once you get the hang of it, you're just swapping whatever command is on a certain button and telling it to do what's on the other page.

Frank Kruse 07-09-2012 12:05 PM

Thank you Ryan!

This is very helpful info.

Frank.

ivid 08-29-2012 08:12 AM

Im new to PT world (have been using Logic for years... just installed PT10 and making a slow migration over).

Is it possible to setup MCContol softkeys to insert a specific plug in (say in the first available insert slot of the selected track)?

ideally i'd like to have a screen of softkeys with my most-used plugins and use that to insert them onto a selected track. (btw, if anyone has figured out a way of doing something similar in logic -- would love to know too :) but dont think you can actually do that in logic. Looking at some of Ryan's screenshots -- looks like you have softkeys/hotkeys assigned to specific plugins. is that for PT?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Young (Post 1947228)
Hopefully these captures are explanatory enough :) I'm mostly a post-production guy and I use these primarily for my dialog editorial and during the mix. I use a combination of hotkeys, macros, window layouts, and memory locations. Hope these give some ideas to you.

Here's an old template I made, but it shows what it looks like on the unit.

Surface - Page 1

Surface - Page 2

Touchscreen - Page 1

ivid 08-30-2012 09:04 AM

Im new to PT-World (have been a Logic user for years and now making a slow migration to PT10).

Looking at Ryan's screenshots - looks like some of your softkeys (or hotkeys) are linked to specific plugins. Is this possible in mcControl w/PT10? ideally, what im trying to do is have a page of softkeys with a bunch of my mostly used plugins so that i can insert one of the plugins into the first available insert slot of the selected track. I dont think its possible in logicpro (if anyone has figured out a way to do it -- i would love to know as well). is this something that can be done with PT?

thanks

Ryan Young 08-30-2012 10:58 AM

Unfortunately, you can't really pull up the RTAS plugin on a selected track, with one hot key. What I did was recalling a window configuration with AudioSuite plugins. Here's what you'd do, if you wanted to do that:

Open the plugin of choice.
Place the plugin (and everything else) where you want on the screen.
Store a new window configuration (lets use #1)
Set your McControl's button to perform a EuCon action of recalling window configuration #1 or have it execute the following keystrokes (for #1, perform the following keystrokes on the numerical keypad)
. 1 *
Name the button to whatever you'd like

Enjoy!!