Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   How to play X seconds before record Protools 8 (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=237774)

Matt Darcy 01-27-2009 07:37 AM

How to play X seconds before record Protools 8

in protools 7.4 I'd position the blue marker at the top of the screen, then position the first red marker say 3 seconds after it, to show the start of the recording, then the final red marker to position the end of the recording.

eg:

x (start player) | (start recording) blah blah blah | (end recording) blah blah blah

In protools 8 I can only get blue markers in play mode, and red markers in record mode, I can't figure out how to set a playing start point and then highlight the record section, or even how to just play say 3 seconds of the track then drop in recording in pro-tools 8.

This was straight forward in 7.x but I'm not getting it in 8.

RussUK 01-27-2009 07:48 AM

Re: How to play X seconds before record Protools 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Darcy (Post 1343097)
in protools 7.4 I'd position the blue marker at the top of the screen, then position the first red marker say 3 seconds after it, to show the start of the recording, then the final red marker to position the end of the recording.

eg:
x (start player) | (start recording) blah blah blah | (end recording) blah blah blah

In protools 8 I can only get blue markers in play mode, and red markers in record mode, I can't figure out how to set a playing start point and then highlight the record section, or even how to just play say 3 seconds of the track then drop in recording in pro-tools 8.

This was straight forward in 7.x but I'm not getting it in 8.

This should happen if you adjust the pre and post roll in the transport.

Matt Darcy 01-27-2009 07:51 AM

interesting, I'll look at that now.

thanks

Matt Darcy 01-27-2009 11:17 AM

sorry to be dumb on this, but I can't see the settings in pro-tools 8 where are the pre/post settings ?

gdugan 01-27-2009 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Darcy (Post 1343255)
sorry to be dumb on this, but I can't see the settings in pro-tools 8 where are the pre/post settings ?

In the Transport Window.

Choose "Window>Transport." See page 134-137 in the PT 8 Reference Guide.

Matt Darcy 01-28-2009 02:29 AM

perfect, thanks for the help/reference guide,

djmichael.london 01-28-2009 01:31 PM

:-)another way to give yurself a head start..

from where you want to start recording click and place the cursor on that starting point of that track, make sure of course its enabled. then hold down options and click on the track where u want it to start playing as a pre. then hit f12 to record or cmd spacebar whatever u use.