Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools M-Powered (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Control Surface for PTMP (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=148848)

CrateDigger 10-11-2005 12:12 PM

Control Surface for PTMP

Some people may already know this but for those who dont...If you want a control surface for your Pro Tools M-Powered system but are on a budget and can't afford one such as the Command8 or Mackie Control, The Behringer BCF2000 has a hidden Mackie BabyHui preset added to the units firmwear and can be activated very easily with the touch of a button. You can then tell Pro Tools you are using the Mackie BabyHui in the Control Surfaces Setup Menu...Its as easy as that..Hands-on-Control at a fraction of the price...Its has increased my workflow a greatdeal, now I can make slight automation changes without the use of the mouse..A Preset guide is available from their website with all the instructions in Pdf format...I hope this Helps someone and is explained well enough.

nikki-k 10-11-2005 06:45 PM

Re: Control Surface for PTMP

or this...
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...ixIO-main.html

audiocase 10-12-2005 08:24 AM

M-Audio Project Mix I/O v The Behringer BCF2000 -

wow...a whopping $1050 difference in price.

estregan 10-12-2005 08:42 AM

Quote:

M-Audio Project Mix I/O v The Behringer BCF2000 -

wow...a whopping $1050 difference in price.

Yup! That's because Project Mix I/O is like a Digi 002, only better and cheaper IMHO

audiocase 10-12-2005 04:59 PM

Yeah, that may be true,

but the BCF2000 is still the " budget daw controller" as the poster put it.

The Project Mix I/O is something I shall consider if I win the lottery

magiccafe 10-13-2005 04:49 AM

Anyone tried the Kenton Control Freak??

R1ch 10-16-2005 08:03 AM

Hey Crate Digger,

Have you managed to turn automation on from the BCF???

CrateDigger 10-16-2005 08:50 AM

Yes...once you have activated BabyHui mode, the 'edit' button on the bcf2000 becomes the shift button (2nd fuction button). Then solo's 1-4 (the first 4 buttons under the encoders) become the automation functions (off, read, write and touch) for the selected track...I hope this helps.

Fingermouse 10-19-2005 03:58 AM

Thanks for the original post, CrateDigger...

I wasn't previously aware of the BCF2000's emulation modes so was still looking elsewhere for a decent control surface for ProTools. I've got an Event EZbus which I use with SONAR, but since reading your post and subsequently having a good trawl online for reviews, I now have a BCF2000. It's exactly what I was looking for at a fraction of the price I was afraid it was going to cost...

So now I've got a slightly odd setup with an EZbus working as a control surface for SONAR (where most of my virtual synths live) connected via ADAT lightpipe to my FW1814, which feeds into PTMP and is controlled by the BCF2000. SONAR and PTMP are on different computers and linked together by MIDI... If PTMP 7's MIDI capabilities are considerably better than the current version, I might one day be able to drop SONAR completly (Pro Tools is just so much better for audio).

With sufficiently long power and USB leads, the BCF2000 is also just about small enough that it's possible to cart it around my studio and maintain pretty good control no matter what instrument I'm in front of. Definitely recommended.

R1ch 10-19-2005 01:39 PM

Quote:

Yes...once you have activated BabyHui mode, the 'edit' button on the bcf2000 becomes the shift button (2nd fuction button). Then solo's 1-4 (the first 4 buttons under the encoders) become the automation functions (off, read, write and touch) for the selected track...I hope this helps.

@CrateDigger, Yah I'm aware of this but to no prevail, nothing seems to happen.

I believe you press shift+solo3 (to write automation) and push in the encoder that corresponds to the track you want to write to.