Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Collecting Rare Multitracks? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=290688)

tha]-[acksaw 12-26-2010 05:03 PM

Collecting Rare Multitracks?

A good friend hooked me up for the holidays. I got some very rare multitrack mixdowns, that were dumped from 24 track tape to digital files. There are some Beatles stuff, some Motown stuff, some Nirvana B Sides, its crazy. I was talking to another friend last night who has quite a collection of jems himself. I was wondering if anyone on the DUC collects this kind of stuff, or maybe knows of a place online where people can trade or swap this kind of rare stuff.

Thoughts?

guitar486 12-26-2010 05:05 PM

Re: Collecting Rare Multitracks?

I have some Beatles ones myself, and I'm working on getting Queens Bohemian Rhapsody from a buddy of mine. Not sure of trading centers online but I'd be interested to find one myself!

tha]-[acksaw 12-26-2010 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitar486 (Post 1726725)
I have some Beatles ones myself, and I'm working on getting Queens Bohemian Rhapsody from a buddy of mine. Not sure of trading centers online but I'd be interested to find one myself!

Haha! I got the Bohemian Rhapsody. We must know the same people!

guitar486 12-26-2010 05:44 PM

We may indeed :)

DrFord 12-28-2010 07:07 PM

Hack!!!!
Hook me up I want to remix!!!!!

Merry Xmas to you my friend
Doc

justus1900 12-29-2010 05:55 AM

I would love to have some of these Classic Multitracks. I love to sit back and Mix other peoples material. I pulled the Peter Gabriel stuff from The RealWorld site and listening to Kate Bush's voice soloed was a Dreaming come true. Please hook me up also.

SteveJobs 12-29-2010 08:13 AM

I have some Simon and Garfunkle that I have been mixing. The guy who runs the local vinyl store sent me it. I am waiting on him to send more, they are recordings I have never heard before.

guitar486 12-29-2010 08:27 AM

We should set up a way to swap all of these. Maybe we could create a dropbox account and put one or two of the multitracks in it at a time for a period of like 3 days? Just keep rotating until people don't have anything else to share. If people are into it I can set this up.

aka21stCentury 12-29-2010 08:57 AM

I own Kate Bush's first solo album but the songs were too sad, even for me, but I loved that Fairlight 2. Her brother... well he's a awesome musician too, quite upbeat in fact.

I hope these were not recorded on those Rev A Ampex machines.... speed control issues.

Sorry to be a bummer... Except... if it was that first Sade Album. Man... so much in there mixed out or down so low. Programming too... nearly inaudible. Amazing recording and mix. She's touring one last time. If anyone here can mix an album like that, we'll you got my vote to run the Amek up at Studio D (except someone already has that seat).

Oh... Telefunken Tube Compressors used when cutting masters. 5 sweepable frequency bands, Q, and level. That is the final peice in the jigsaw puzzle. I was friends with a multi-gold record producer engineer/mix/mastering engineer who never EQed, just worked his magic on that Telefunken compressor. So the 16 track or 8 track used to mix to 1/2 inch isn't the final mix, as he compressed frequency bands and set Q and levels. The Human Beingz released a box set I hope they had Ken's son remaster that 1/2 inch first on that big ol Telefunken. Grand Funk too if they are planning a box set, or the Dukes or the James Gang... even The Outsiders.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...of-world-tour/

waltz mastering 12-30-2010 08:43 AM

Sure, it's all out there in cyberspace...Bit torrent...there is not much difference in stealing this music as opposed to any other....it's still illegal, and posting about obtaining illegal music on boards like this is probably not the smartest idea.