Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   M Powered Protool 7.4 Compatible Desktop Computer (HELP PLEASE) (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=243631)

glfmusicman2 04-09-2009 01:24 PM

M Powered Protool 7.4 Compatible Desktop Computer (HELP PLEASE)

Hello guys, this is my first post and I really need some help. I am not a technical cpu person when it comes to builds, that being said I am looking at buying a new desktop cpu to run protools on. I have been running it on my laptop and I am trying to set up a desktop system. I am planning on buying a white box unit but I get so confused with all the tech talk and opinions. Will someone post some system congigs that they are using sucessful so that I can tell the builder what I need.
I will be running protools 7.4 with m audio interfaces(firewire 410 and mobile pre) XP 32 bit.

I want to purchase a dual core machine with 4 gig ram. I already own the OS and don't really see a need to buy a new one to get the max speed out of 8 gig. I figure that with 32 bit I will only use about half of 8 so I will just buy 4 and be through with it. PLEASE HELP GUYS!! Everyone else talks about a MAC. I can't afford a mac, We are in a recession!! LOL

TOM@METRO 04-09-2009 02:49 PM

Re: M Powered Protool 7.4 Compatible Desktop Computer (HELP PLEASE)

glfmusicman2, welcome to the DUC.

You don't need to post this multiple times. And the MAC forum is not the best place to be if you have already decided not to use one.:D

Cheers.

glfmusicman2 04-09-2009 11:06 PM

Thanks Tom @ metro. Like I said this was my first post and I didn't really know what I was doing. Thanks for the welcome and by the way, no hard feelings to the mac guys. I would rather have a Mac, just can't afford it right now so I got to work with what's in my budget.

tridev 04-18-2009 11:31 AM

What is your budget?

glfmusicman2 04-21-2009 01:26 PM

As little as possible. Maybe about $600. I don't need a competition system!! We are running PT 8 192 HD on a SSL 9000 Mac cpu Quad in our studio,I just need something for my home studio to do a little mixing and editing to help keep down studio cost on things that I can do at home and I know that PC systems are less expensive than Mac. I have been using my Dell Duo laptop which does the job, but I would like to start using it to record location audio and buy the desktop for home work; that way I won't have to be constantly hooking it up and unhooking it when I do location audio tracking. A good duo core with about 4 gig will be all that I need and I know that the i7 or anything of that nature is not in the budget

TOM@METRO 04-21-2009 03:56 PM

The board that I have (the P5Q Deluxe) will do what you are looking for. It will run a dual core if that’s all you want although a Q6600 quad can be had dirt-cheap now. The onboard firewire has been trouble free. Toss in the RAM and a cheap ATI video card and go.