Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Why are so many of you beta testing 6.X & OSX?? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=30143)

woodywho 04-13-2003 10:23 PM

Why are so many of you beta testing 6.X & OSX??

I am seeing a very high # of:
"incompatibility issues", "crashes", "no omf", "scsi issues", "dae error this, error that", "bug this, bug that", "boot errors", "midi errors", "plugin issues", etc............

Why put up w/ it?? Are you struggling while on a clients dime or while they are present? To me it seems as if, this is the most buggy transition digi has come across yet and that is taking into consideration, the OSX(garbage) & PT6 combination!! [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

ronwasserman 04-13-2003 10:27 PM

Re: Why are so many of you beta testing 6.X & OSX??

Been running PT 6 and OSX for several weeks now. No problems at all.

G4 - Dual 1.25 - Mix Plus

digiengineer 04-13-2003 11:08 PM

Honestly, I've been using PT 6 since it was a beta. Other then a few window size issues, it's been rock solid for me.

Peterjk 04-14-2003 12:39 AM

Ron Wasserman.

I have the same setup as u. I have the new dual though, Mix cube, AND an old dsp farm.

I've had some blackouts. PT simply hangs or disapears. My suspicion goes towards my ram. What and how much do you hve installed?

Peter

audiobob 04-14-2003 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by woodywho:
I am seeing a very high # of:
"incompatibility issues", "crashes", "no omf", "scsi issues", "dae error this, error that", "bug this, bug that", "boot errors", "midi errors", "plugin issues", etc............
:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">hummm....guess we never saw any of those problems with OS9 and 5.1? Yeah, this place was a ghost town before X and PT 6 showed up.

Aquarius 04-14-2003 06:29 AM

I'm using it everyday with no major problem whatsoever [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
And yes, we're nerds so .... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

MAXIMUSIC 04-14-2003 07:54 AM

HD3/G4867 dual/ PT6.01 working great, no major problems, nothing never seen before!
If we didn't like this, we wouldn't even be talking about it!
Marcello Azevedo

Jeff D. 04-14-2003 08:37 AM

The ability to jump back and forth between Final Cut Pro and PT is fantastic.

Also, the new Digibase file browser significantly cuts the time necessary to audition & create audio tracks from CD - you just drag them from the CD onto a PT track, and poof! there it is.

Jeff D.

Bo Walker 04-14-2003 09:28 AM

Change is good.

New is fun.

Brad Cobb 04-14-2003 09:33 AM

6.0 has been rock solid everyday since installed. I've been working on 3-4 different projects, that all came from different rigs.

001/44.1-24
3 Core 44.1/16 changed to 88.2-24 for Overdubs and Mix
Mix Rig 44.1-24
HD3/5.3.1. 88.2-24

I’m on a HD3/733QS my cpu is slightly less responsive, to be understood with OSX. It did crash/freeze once in the past few weeks. I was importing 50 tracks of bgs into a huge session and it froze, rebooted and it never happen again.

There were some really dire scsi performance issues with the sessions that started on the 16 voice 16-bit machine. The “SSCI” fixed that. My firewire drive performance seems better than ever, 100+ tracks at 44.1.
The only drag is rebooting into 9 to use Jam.

All in all, I think it’s been pretty painless and the new features are nice to have. Some of the problems with these “problematic” rigs might have more to do with the maintence of OSX.

Other things to check out:

Repair Privileges
Boot w/ apple+s and run “fsck –y”….then “reboot”
And the best is Disk Warrior, boot and fix in 9 until the new version hits.