Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Getting full 128 channels in Atmos with MTRX Studio and HDX (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=415736)

Goombot 06-14-2021 12:28 PM

Getting full 128 channels in Atmos with MTRX Studio and HDX

Is the only way to get 128 channels to the renderer while using a MTRX Studio with HDX or Hybrid to have 2 MTRX studios? Is that even possible?

creativecontrol 06-14-2021 01:39 PM

Re: Getting full 128 channels in Atmos with MTRX Studio and HDX

Yes, it is possible to deploy a dual MTRX Studio system connected to 2 HDX cards. Each HDX card would be fully connected to dual 32-channel DigiLink ports per box.

HDX A (1,2) to MTRX ST A (1,2)
HDX B (1,2) to MTRX ST B (1.2)

This gives you the ability to stream a full 128 channels from Pro Tools into the dual MTRX Studio units. From there, you would patch 64 channels of Dante on each MTRX Studio.

MTRX ST A: Source (Input) = DigiLink, Destination (Output) = Dante: 1-64
MTRX ST B: Source (Input) = DigiLink, Destination (Output) = Dante: 1-64

These would then be patched in Dante Controller 1-128 input a Focusrite PCIeR card attached to a dedicated RMU system running DAMS such as a 2018 Mac Mini. From there, you would patch out of the PCIeR into MTRX ST A which would be your primary monitor which could run up to a tuned 9.1.6 Atmos setup.

It's also possible (though not sure if Dolby signs off on it) to run the 2 HDX + PCIeR inside of a more capable computer like a 7,1 and repeat the exact same Dante and DADman patches.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Goombot 06-14-2021 02:01 PM

Thank you for the detailed answer Jeff. I'm most interested in the last part of that. I have one MTRX Studio now running in Native with the Atmos Production Suite and getting full 128 channels. I do have one HDX card and was going to buy another to take advantage of the Hybrid Engine. I do have a current Mac Pro 16 core with 192 gigs of RAM. So if I get the 2nd MTRX Studio, the second HDX card and the Focusrite Dante card can I get 128 channels via the Production Suite while taking advantage of the Hybrid Engine?

creativecontrol 06-14-2021 03:21 PM

Yes. I'm presuming Dolby would prefer you run DAMS however I believe DAPS should also work.

Jeff

Goombot 06-14-2021 03:22 PM

Great! Thank you Jeff.

LukeHoward 06-22-2021 05:08 PM

Is it possible to use the same DAPS workflow with DVS instead of a dedicated Dante card (assuming you don't mind the limited channel count)?

I'm interested in dipping my feet into Atmos, but want to be able to use my HDX hardware inserts for reverbs etc (which has I understand I can't do with Dolby Audio Bridge).

Or would the Dolby send/return plugin workflow be better?

creativecontrol 06-22-2021 05:12 PM

Although not qualified by Dolby, yes you could do this. Send / Return is not for the faint of heart. It can work, however the infrastructure of the required template is complicated and all of the delay offsets are manual since delay comp doesn't work automatically.

Jeff

LukeHoward 06-22-2021 05:17 PM

Thanks Jeff for the prompt reply, appreciate it. I will DVS a go and, if things get more serious, look into a Dante or MADI option. :cool:

JCBigler 06-28-2021 07:05 PM

Hey wait a minute...does DAPS work on Windows now? :eek:

creativecontrol 06-28-2021 07:22 PM

DAMS is cross-platform and DAPS is Mac only.

https://developer.dolby.com/tools-me...tes/downloads/

best,

Jeff