Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Let's hear your latest stuff....right here (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=60365)

xprod77 06-02-2003 10:20 PM

Re: Let\'s hear your latest stuff....right here

Quote:

i checked it out. i like that filter thing you got going on. i wasn't able to smooth out my filters very well. you gotta let me know how you did that. [/QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It's all about the Radium...that's the only reason I got it. For the knobs and faders! It's so easy to do well timed sweeps compared to a mouse.

X

Roy Howell 06-02-2003 10:32 PM

jlee462,
Very cool song... it churns. I like everything that's going on in this piece. The vocal is very good, though I agree that it could come up just enough to understand your lyrics. But, good job, man... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
~Roy

Roy Howell 06-02-2003 10:55 PM

xprod77,
Just checked it out...very nice in the phones, interesting panning and filter stuff happening. What is the organ sound or is it part of a loop?...I love those chords. Thanks for the listen...-Roy

Nippamuk 06-02-2003 11:10 PM

Roy, I can load the song if I right-click and "Save target as". Otherwise, I'm having some problems with the site. I'll have to give the hamsters a booster on their steroid shots.
Maybe... too many people are trying to download it at once keheheheheheh..... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Roy Howell 06-03-2003 12:10 AM

Captain Ben,
Sounds good. Some of those sounds are very interesting... what keyboards/software are you using for this one?.........thanks, Roy

Roy Howell 06-03-2003 02:10 PM

otto,
Hey man, these are really good songs, and I like the rawness of the productions. What kind of guitar is this (very cool), and where are you guys? By the way, 'freaks' and 'cold way out' are my favorites......... thanks, Roy

8mmOverdose 06-03-2003 07:26 PM

ok, first i have to say over the last few days i listened to the songs on the last 3 pages of this thread, and i think everyone is doing a great job. you really need to check this thread daily in order to keep up with the new songs, and i havent posted here in quite awhile. i have been tracking several projects for what seems like forever, but not mixing any of them. sooooo, with that said, here is a rough mix of one of these songs called rebecca. we still need to a few more tracks to it, but here it is anyway.

http://basstardz.dhs.org/DUC/DUC_MUS...se/rebecca.m3u

Captain_Pants 06-03-2003 10:59 PM

Roy Roy Roy, Thanks for the listen, sorry for the delay in feedback, been busy with work.

This song, I actually attained all the basic sounds from my Triton, but I did a lot of outboard processing on them. Like for instance, on the Chorus, I ran the extra drum track through an external fuzz pedal for that kind of dirty sound. The Piano I reversed it, then ran it through a reverb of some kind, the reversed it again to give it that "building up" kinda sound, and then I Time Comp'd it to 1/4 and then Time Expanded it by 4times to "digitalize" it, or basicaly just turn my nice waves into blocks.

Hope that shed some light on some things.
Thanks again.
=-ben

otto 06-03-2003 11:32 PM

heya Roy,
i'm from Australia (Victoria).
Glad you like the tracks - was actually my first go at recording drums. I really wanted the songs to sound like they didn't come out of protools.

It's interesting that you like the sound of the guitars - this was commented on as a weakness by some in other forums.
The guitars are a combination of my Yamaha Pacifica (with some single coil pickups from an old les paul lookalike) and my Rickenbacker 330 (which I haven't had for too long - was mainly used on "angel"). Amps used in various parts were a peavy classic and a marshall valvestate (both miced with sm57 through mindprint envoice).

I've also checked out a few of your songs - love your sound and style

cheers
otto

soundsurfr 06-04-2003 05:40 AM

Couple of recent TV themes:

www.soundsurfr.com/TV.htm

Calvin 06-04-2003 06:12 AM

Hey guys,
Here is a very simple acoustic guitar song that was originally a local punk rock bands favorite song, now the singer redid it in acoustic to put it out on a comp. Entire thing is done with a Studio Projects C1 and the digi. I hope you like it.

Her Loss Acoustic.mp3

Rabidium 06-04-2003 11:00 AM

OK, maybe I'm dumb or something, it seems like Josh's first post in this thread is a reply. I can't find 'walk the line', and if Howell's calling it extraordinary, I sure would like to.

Could you repost a link to it josh, for those of us who are dumb but still like a good song? 8o)

Oh, and Roy, I really like Moonbeam Seduction. The drums all reason? Why is it whenever I use reason it sounds like a drunken mule playing a broken bagpipe, but you make it sing like an angel eating a plate of fettucine primavera? Why?

Thanks!
-Olaf

Roy Howell 06-04-2003 02:12 PM

Thanks Rabidium(Olaf)...an angel eating fettucini?... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] hehe.... I tell you, I use one-hit samples probably more than anybody I know around here. Brian(DaB) and some others do some very cool perussion in Reason, but I've never had it running well enough to use it. My friend, pk_hat just made me some excellent 90bpm loops I'de asked him for, and I've used one of them on a new song that Paul Curtiz and I have written. But, Paul and I are also doing a song with 'FunkyD', who's a real drummer(great drummer) here on the DUC. I do like these one-hit samples too though, because I can choose and control each individual sound. Looking at a PT session of one-hits, it looks rather complicated, but it's not that hard at all, and I've gotten quick with it too. I printed a screen of 'Moonbeam' that's shows some of the one-hits.
And thanks for the compliment... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
~Roy

http://basstardz.dhs.org/roy/images/...rumSampleView/

Roy Howell 06-04-2003 05:55 PM

You know, this thread is not just about getting feedback, but also giving feedback on other stuff too. So it's a good thing to see somebody give feedback on other people's music too, and I appreciate when somebody does that.
I'll be listening to some more as soon as I can.
-Roy

da BaSsTaRd! 06-04-2003 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by 8mmOverdose:
here is a rough mix of one of these songs called rebecca. we still need to a few more tracks to it, but here it is anyway.
http://basstardz.dhs.org/DUC/DUC_MUS...se/rebecca.m3u

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">sounds awesome, dude! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

da BaSsTaRd! 06-04-2003 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by soundsurfr:
Couple of recent TV themes:

www.soundsurfr.com/TV.htm

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">hey, i got a tv show and i need some theme music for it. its called "Starsky & da BaSsTaRd!" its about 2 rocknroll cops in NYC. and i drive a ferrari and live on a boat with an alligator as a pet. everynight we raid a different club in the east village. after the pilot gets signed, we're gonna raid some clubs in williamsburg too... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

seriously, sounds hot...

Roy Howell 06-04-2003 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Nippamuk:
Roy, I can load the song if I right-click and "Save target as". Otherwise, I'm having some problems with the site.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hey Nippamuk... I've tried it all, and it won't let me load the song. so, hmmmmm...(rubs his chin and ponders the mysteries of life...)

Roy Howell 06-04-2003 09:42 PM

Hey Robb(8mmOD),
Killer song, man... Acoustic guitar sounds full and deep, and the singer makes it all his... great job on the vocal (zat you, Robb?...) Fine mix so far, too...all kinds of possibilities on guitar for this... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] good job, Robb.
~Roy

byteme 06-04-2003 09:53 PM

Here is a new mix of song I tracked mostly through the 001. If ya got time, give it your best shot.
Download Link
http://play.mp3.com/cgi-bin/play/play.cgi/AAIAQg78MQDABG5vcm1QLAAAAFJ7VgEAUQEAAABDbTPePrGbSH GFTNNVbk mvX6Br6wY-/By_Yourself.mp3
Streaming Link (HI-FI)
http://play.mp3.com/cgi-bin/play/play.cgi/AAIBQg78MQDABG5vcm1QLAAAAFJ7VgEAUQEAAABDbTPePonJKp kkfU1Q__ l7yZ8TI78-/By_Yourself.m3u

Thanks
AJ

Calvin 06-04-2003 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Roy Howell:
You know, this thread is not just about getting feedback, but also giving feedback on other stuff too. So it's a good thing to see somebody give feedback on other people's music too, and I appreciate when somebody does that.
I'll be listening to some more as soon as I can.
-Roy

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
I konw that I don't ever give feedback on here, but I don't expect any either. Just thought I would through up a link in case someone was bored enough to download it. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Although I do occasionaly wander in here and download a few random songs. Really it amazes me what you guys come up with. I'm not nearly that creative.

Rabidium 06-04-2003 11:12 PM

Roy! Thanks for the printout. It really helped me understand how you were doing what you were doing. Funny, I'd actually done that with string samples in the past, but somehow had never translated that to drums. Anyway, I banged out a quick song tonight, and I think I have a pretty good grasp of how it all works. I'm going to try it on a real song tomorrow, I think I'll get great results. Thanks again.

Time For Go To Bed,
-Olaf
(Oh, and what ever happened to 'walking the line'? Maybe he pulled it?)

Roy Howell 06-04-2003 11:18 PM

Shut up, Calvin...you're sposed ta be helping me listen... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] you should be downloading and feedbacking, downloading and feedbacking, downloading an.........

Zen685 06-04-2003 11:37 PM

http://artists.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/E...k/index-0.html

The song is called Clowns. Let me know what you think.

flam-jam 06-04-2003 11:46 PM

I am new to posting on the DUC but I have been reading and learning from you guys and gals for the past couple years.

Here is a link to some songs of a band I produced a full length CD for. Beware: It is a nu metal type band.

Thanks

www.mp3.com/_eskalith

archtop 06-04-2003 11:50 PM

about clowns:
That snare has a wierd sound sound to it.like a flat 5 intervel with clanking steel underneath.

8mmOverdose 06-04-2003 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Zen685:
http://artists.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/E...k/index-0.html

The song is called Clowns. Let me know what you think.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">weird, i just posted a reply and its not here. i suck at typing, so this reply will just say. . sounds good to me!
[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

soundsurfr 06-05-2003 05:23 AM

Quote:

hey, i got a tv show and i need some theme music for it. its called "Starsky & da BaSsTaRd!" its about 2 rocknroll cops in NYC. and i drive a ferrari and live on a boat with an alligator as a pet. everynight we raid a different club in the east village. after the pilot gets signed, we're gonna raid some clubs in williamsburg too...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Working on the theme music now...

It's sort of a *Bond meets Sesame Street* kind of vibe. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Roy Howell 06-05-2003 06:37 AM

I listened to these 3 late last night...I'll try to catch all the ones I've missed (Greg, I want to hear the above prequel to 'Starsky and DaBasstard' later today... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ).

Zen685,
Good song...I like your overall concept very much. Really nice voice too...I think the guitar breaks could be better to live up to your unique voice. Just some tweaks mentioned above on the drums...but nice song. Thanks for posting... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Calvin- These acoustic guitars are done very well, and it's a good mix. Thanks for posting it.

IntelDoc-
Sorry it took a while...very cool song... the singer reminds me of Mark Knopfler (as does the song, sans his guitar work). You did a good job IMO on the drums... Nice work...thanks, Roy

ptrbas 06-05-2003 07:14 AM

For Nippamuk,

This link should work. web page

Again a great song Nippa, your mother is great (can I book her.. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ) and your daughter is very sweet.

Greets,
Pieter

Nippamuk 06-05-2003 08:30 AM

Pieter, thanks for the feedback, and for finding the missing link ( I always thought I was the missing link). Book my Mother? You can HAVE my Mother. She's 75 and single, guys.

And Roy, you are right about this forum being all about giving feedback. Giving feedback to ME ONLY! And make sure it is POSITIVE! There, now that that's cleared up, we can get on with our lives. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
So having said that, here are some reviews of recent songs:

Inteldoc and Jo2: I havn't been able to download your songs; I'll keep trying.

XPROD: Yeah, cool filtering. I've wanted to try that on a particular song for awhile now, but couldn't figure out how to do it properly.

Captain Pants:( I forgive you for slandering us Canucks for not joining your goofy war): I love that fat synth at the beginning. This person must have been very special. Was this a real person who died? The emotion really comes through.

And RH, Jeez, how many songs have you written? They are all just great. You're really starting to get on my nerves! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I've never heard a Strat snarl like that!

Roy Howell 06-05-2003 08:45 AM

Well Mr. Nippamuk... thanks to Pieter, your latest masterpiece has graced my speakers, and they will never be the same...and nor (as Will Ferrell would say), shall the world!... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Man, I loved it... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Your mother obviously has a great sense of humor to've done this with you... she was great. And the music sets the mood perfectly. I love where it 'builds' about midway, and then just kind of...dwindles back down a little...(so serious... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )

Hey man, I love these...keep em coming. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
-rh

soundsurfr 06-05-2003 08:48 AM

Byteme -

Listening now. Tight band, good vocalist, nice guitar work. Who does that vocalist remind me of? Dang.

Good stuff - Could use a little more bottom end maybe?

Swaphappy 06-05-2003 09:21 AM

Thanks for the views Roy.
See next page...

Nippamuk 06-05-2003 09:30 AM

Some more feedback:

Pieter: Great rockin songs.I liked the bass on "Destination Anywhere". Nice to hear real live drums!

Calvin: "Her Loss" is a great tune. Acoustic music lives!

hydrafonic: I listened to "wnqd". Good rockin tune; I liked the guitar harmonies.

Jeremy: "Lost" has a nice thunky snare. I'm a big fan of nice thunky snare, or any snare that is off the beaten track. ( Hmmmm- "off the beaten track"). The song is very "thick".

Someone did a song called "Capairhush" but I can't figure out who did it to thank them for posting it. I really liked it except for the drums in the background, which I felt didn't really add much to the song. But that's just me.

Boy, lots of new songs posted lately. This must be the longest running thread that ever was.

Pure 06-05-2003 09:43 AM

Alright, here's my latest stuff. Check out OrganGrinder. Although I'm not a big fan of converting my .wav files down to 128kps for Mp3.com, you can still here what I've done with the kick drum on this tune.
http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/501/...nd_design.html
Let me know what ya think. Cheers. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Swaphappy 06-05-2003 10:02 AM

Quote:

Thanks Rabidium(Olaf)...an angel eating fettucini?... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] hehe.... I tell you, I use one-hit samples probably more than anybody I know around here. Brian(DaB) and some others do some very cool perussion in Reason, but I've never had it running well enough to use it. My friend, pk_hat just made me some excellent 90bpm loops I'de asked him for, and I've used one of them on a new song that Paul Curtiz and I have written. But, Paul and I are also doing a song with 'FunkyD', who's a real drummer(great drummer) here on the DUC. I do like these one-hit samples too though, because I can choose and control each individual sound. Looking at a PT session of one-hits, it looks rather complicated, but it's not that hard at all, and I've gotten quick with it too. I printed a screen of 'Moonbeam' that's shows some of the one-hits.
And thanks for the compliment... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
~Roy
http://basstardz.dhs.org/roy/images/...rumSampleView/

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I like this Roy!
Thanks for taking the time to post those views of the samples.
That is the approach I have been taking lately and I kind of figured you did it that way sometimes too. But those pictures clarify so much
so quickly.
I have made drum and bass tracks for six gospel songs now and put them on CD.
Now when I go to play I just pop in the CD and it's like having a drummer and bass player right there. No hassle with trying to get real musicians to show up on time. He he
I run the output of the Cd player through may bass amp and it sounds very real. I usually put a little guitar lead-in right at the beginning of each track to give me time to jump in with my rhythm guitar before I start singing. It keeps me steady on the beat which helps. Great thread you have going here and so many talented people.
Maybe some of it will rub off on me.

I can't wait until the I can get the 002R on a notebook then I can have a portable band right with me
and have control over all the instruments.
Suppose a the bass player actually shows up!
All i have to do is mute the bass track and BINGO
the bass in now live. Or if I want to record the pianist while I am playing then I will be ready when the pianist lays out sick. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
This has big possibilities.

Roy Howell 06-05-2003 10:29 AM

That's good, Swap. I was hoping that showing a screen would take some of the mystery out of it, because it's not as hard as it may seem. Man, you should see these guitar and mandolin sample sessions I do, where each track is a separate note (so there are 32 notes inititially). The 'runs' go up and down look like letters... like big W's or N's or whatever, and it just looks so cool. I love to watch em play back. I am fascinated with the art of sound now. We used to be so limited compared to what is possible now.

Swaphappy 06-05-2003 10:50 AM

Quote:

That's good, Swap. I was hoping that showing a screen would take some of the mystery out of it, because it's not as hard as it may seem. Man, you should see these guitar and mandolin sample sessions I do, where each track is a separate note (so there are 32 notes inititially). The 'runs' go up and down look like letters... like big W's or N's or whatever, and it just looks so cool. I love to watch em play back. I am fascinated with the art of sound now. We used to be so limited compared to what is possible now.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Mandoline, [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
My wife and I both play a little bluegrass style mandoline. So you sampled a bunch of notes or did you get them somewhere? Do you have samples for down picks and up picks. What about HO's, Slides and trills? It would be interesting for me to try that sometime. Guess you have been getting into the sampling buisness in a big way lately. Have you figured out how to program your keyboard to play the samples?
Guess I ask too many question but I'm thankful you and the other buffs are around to help me out.

Some great songs have been posted lately.
I think we need a DUC radio station so everyone could be on the charts. Maybe DB could put all the songs in streaming audio and have a charts page on his site.

da BaSsTaRd! 06-05-2003 11:10 AM

http://basstardz.dhs.org/DUC/DUC_MUSIC/-=DUC=-.m3u

I've had this up for a while... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Captain_Pants 06-05-2003 11:13 AM

Nippa: First, thanks for the checking that tune out. I really appreciate it. That song is actually about two people. I just mixed them into one person. The first, was my best friend when I was a bit younger, he lived less them a block from my house, and we used to hang out everyday. One day as I was walking over to his house, I noticed his mom was outside crying, and I asked her what was going on. She told me he(Clinton) had brain cancer, and it wasnt looking good. She advised me that its probably not a good idea to come in right now as everyone was very emotional. I came back a few weeks later, and it was probably the saddest moment of my life. This little boy, 12 years old, face all swollen from the medication, he was probably bloated 50 pounds or so, he couldnt see anymore cause of the swelling, and I remember all he would say when I would talk to him was how much he couldnt wait to get better so we could hang out again. A few days later as I was walking around my town, i felt that supernatural feeling, and sure enough, I had found out that he had passed away moments before I called his house to check on things. I have never felt as much like i had a big hole in my heart after that. Something I had held so dearly was just gone in a flash. That is who the song is really dedicated to. But, I also mixed in one of my girlfriends I had. It was similar expierience, but definately not as emotional for me.

Thanks for asking. Wow, what a book ive written here. Sorry [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
=-Ben