Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Windows (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Digi 003 | Lucid External Clock (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=418593)

bwilliamsmusic 01-16-2022 12:57 PM

Digi 003 | Lucid External Clock

Hey everyone!! Hoping all is well.

I recently secured a Lucid Genx192 clock and have set it to be the master for the interface.

My question is this.

Anytime I restart the computer, the 003 defaults back to its internal clock. Is there a way to set it where it should always be looking for a clock or do I have to change clock settings every time I launch a session?

To note: I have Windows set to use the Realtek Audio Device as the default, so the 003 is only being used for Pro Tools.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Darryl Ramm 01-16-2022 01:22 PM

Re: Digi 003 | Lucid External Clock

Hi Welcome to DUC

You may not like this answer, but unless you need to connect multiple boxes with clocks and support multiple clock formats, I'd leave the 003 using it's internal clock and stop using the Lucid box. I very much doubt you will hear any difference and it's' just another box to have to faff around with.

I'm guessing you only have the 003 and no other external boxes with challenging clocking issues. And going down the clock jitter rat hole... maybe they exist but I could never find a good technical review of these boxes that showed detailed jitter measurements, i.e. a phase noise spectrum. The 003 is an old box, it's got sonic limits with it's preamps, and some with converters, but better clocking is unlikely to help in a significant way. Even if you have the most pristine/demonstratively low phase noise clock.

Darryl Ramm 01-16-2022 01:55 PM

But back to your original question, I *think* the 003 should remember the preference setting, especially if all you are doing is rebooting your PC. I don't have a 003 to test with.

One way to maybe make this not work is power up stuff so the 003 does not see the external clock, it may then revert to internal. Try powering up the clock first.

If you are still having problems, maybe others can help you, and it might help if you describe exactly what you are using for clock (wordclock, S/PDIF coax in?) and how you are powering on devices.

Ben Jenssen 01-16-2022 01:56 PM

I agree very much with Darryl. I've used many consumer-grade audio interfaces thru the last two decades, and the quality you get these days is miles above that of the 003 days. Todays devices just sound so much better.

If you really like the daw controller functionality of the 003, get a cheap used Command|8 together with a nice modern interface taylered to your I/O needs, shouldn't cost you more than a few hundred dollars. The C8 still works great w/PT. Later you might move on to an S1 perhaps.

But the sound of the 003, external clock or not, is not up to date.

albee1952 01-16-2022 02:47 PM

What exact version of Pro Tools? I remember a few versions not remembering the clock settings(and I used this exact setup several years ago). The only other thing that comes to mind is to make sure the Lucid gets powered up with or before the 003. Having said that, I also remember not hearing any notable change in sound, with or without the external clock.:o

bwilliamsmusic 01-16-2022 04:43 PM

Thanks for the welcome, Darryl. Fantastic answers and very much appreciated.

I usually power the clock first, then the 003. Connecting via digital coax.

The sound of the 003 is definitely not up to date. I use external pres to work around that. I just enjoy the 003 as a control surface because it still locks so well with PT.

I may take what Ben said to heart and just grab another interface and C8. The new Avid controllers... I just don't like. Especially the S1.

bwilliamsmusic 01-16-2022 04:44 PM

albee... I'm using 12.5 at the moment. It may just not be able to remember to look for the clock. It may just be time to upgrade it all and step into 2022.

bwilliamsmusic 01-16-2022 04:45 PM

Ben... thank you so much for your answer. I appreciate you. May be time to jump into 2022!!

bwilliamsmusic 01-16-2022 07:32 PM

Just tried to lock the 003 to my old Presonus D8 via ADAT to see if it would remember those settings and upon restart, it's not remembering those settings either.

This is interesting.

Darryl Ramm 01-16-2022 08:07 PM

You mean retain the setting in the 003 control panel without Pro Tools running? Or are you looking at this in Pro Tools? I don't have a dog in this cat fight, or a 003 to check with, but might help to explain what you are looking at :-)