Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Let's hear your latest stuff....right here (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=60365)

groovilator 04-25-2004 12:15 AM

Re: Let\'s hear your latest stuff....right here

Olaf, I only got about 15 seconds of it. Sounded cool but what happened to the other nine minutes and 45 seconds? Also can't get your website when I click on your link. Damn computer boxes!

groovilator 04-25-2004 01:15 AM

Heerz u phun wun phor phans uv phonky phewzhun. Recorded around 6 years ago with bassist Jeff Plant and drummer Matt Thompson (who now tours with King Diamond) while we were all students at the University of North Texas (in case you're wondering - yes, I knew her). Live trio recorded by a not-very-serious engineer onto ADAT. First take sucked and was trashed. Second take was golden. Transferred it to my Tascam MKII cassette 8-track so I could work on it along with some other stuff I was recording. I overdubbed a rhythm guitar track - clean tone with Rotovibe - and Jeff overdubbed his bass solo. Left it alone for a few years then several months ago transferred it into PT. I think my friend Danny did some mixing on it at some point then I messed with it...anyway, cool jam with some particularly raucous interplay toward the end. I've always been pretty pleased with the guitar tone on this in spite of the rather humble rig: Carvin DC127 w/ Seymour Duncan humbuckers, Dean Markley practice amp, Boss Blues Driver, Morley volume.
Can't seem to get a direct link to the track. Just click below and scroll down to "Well You Needn't."
--------------------
tonyreymusic.com/secret_page...ssshhh

Aussie169 04-25-2004 02:43 AM

Just set up an Mbox on another computer. We did a quick test session. This is also my first session that is tracked totally through my new Buzz Audio preamp.
It's a Shadows goes British type instrumental. Very quickly done and the only plug-in effect is some delay on the lead guitar.
Guitar is a $50 Les Paul style copy through a little Roland box. An EV RE38N/D sits in front of that and sends its signal to the Buzz and then to the Mbox.
The bass is a cheap SX plugged straight into the Buzz. A Waves RenComp is on the channel but that's it.
The Organ is a Roland GR33 guitar synth, again into the Buzz instrument inputs.
Drums are just some simple loop beats from a Zoom RT123.
No eq in sight. Just an L2 on the master fader.
It's raw, but it's meant to be.
Enjoy

Here it is!

Aussie169 04-25-2004 03:24 AM

Hey Groov

Great jam. Must have been a buzz to play. It's a pitty the drums have that background sound. He's obviously a great player, As you all are. I enjoyed it immensely.
Thanks for posting it.

katoramone 04-25-2004 04:21 AM

Hey Joe,
I think I'm like you I know I can sing people say I can sing but I hate my voice on playback.You sound perfect for the song, and this coming from a guy who likes band written - anti singer/songwriter stuff. Once again good song I listened to the whole thing (not typical for me).
If it helps..... you remind me of Cat S. with a hint of Neil Y. vocaly.

katoramone 04-25-2004 04:28 AM

BTW Here is my little bit for you all. As you will see if you go to the band site we dont have tones of great big name gear for recording but what we have worked well.(BTW yes thats alot of Behringer stuff including the MX9000 console).13 Tracks Recorded on a D24. only 3 mixed so far...hard to please 4 painfully anal performers.
http://www.garageband.com/artist/FLOOZY

Joe Evans 04-25-2004 06:52 AM

Thanks Katoramone,

I don't like my own voice, that's for sure. Funny, I never thought of Cat Stevens or Neil Young although I did grow up listening to both of them quite a bit. Maybe in my older years their influence is poking through. Thanks again for the compliment and for listening to my music.

I will listen to your stuff as soon as I am at a computer that has speakers. (I am at work and none of the systems have audio for some reason.)

--joe

Rabidium 04-25-2004 10:53 AM

Quote:

Olaf, I only got about 15 seconds of it. Sounded cool but what happened to the other nine minutes and 45 seconds? Also can't get your website when I click on your link. Damn computer boxes!

Hey, you're right, I have no idea how that happened...? I'm doing this website myself, which is restricted by the fact that I'm a complete imbecile! A mendicant! A baffoon! I was going to spend several hourse f'ing with it, but I realized that it's all shiny and bright outside, so I'm going to the damn beach, and I'm screwing with computer stuff tomorrow, damnit!!!

Thanks for checking on it though, groovy, It'll be up tomorrow!
-Olaf
"Hey, Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat!"
"But that trick never works!"
"This time for sure!"

groovilator 04-25-2004 11:32 AM

Quote:

...I'm a complete imbecile!

Hey, me too! Let's start a religion. We'll call it imbecilianitiism. We'll just have group meetings instead of sermons and all of our time at the meetings will be spent trying to figure out how to pronounce the name of our religion. Eventually, of course, we would end up splitting into a radical right and a radical left which would be based entirely on a difference of pronunciational interpretation. For fun we could make it an east coast/west coast thing, like rappers, but have the left in the east and the right in the west so it would be ironical.

--------------------

groovilator 04-25-2004 12:13 PM

Joe, really nice job on "Little Miami." Good song, good track and I agree with the cats on here who said the vocal was just fine. It does give it the kind of straightforward quality that this song demands. However...

Quote:

Maybe you can find somebody here to resing it if you're not quite satisfied with the vocal

If you want to send or post an instrumental of this I'd be happy to send you back a vocal track. I'm sort of what you might call a "character vocalist" (like a character actor). At my "job" shows I'll do Jimmy Buffett, then Bob Marley, then Michael Jackson, then Nelly, then Al Green, then Sting, then John Mellencamp....for real, with all emotional content included and then some. So this would be like eating cookies for me (I LOVE EATING COOKIES!) but you could, of course, take it or leave it afterwards.

Getting back to the song, it kind of reminds me of Jimmy Buffett (but in a good way) and really does cut right to a "that's exactly how I feel" experience that most people have had. Me, I've been married twice and it seems the most poignant moments of those relationships was the moment of realizing "this is over." So, thanks a lot for dredging that s$%& up for me, sol (sobbingoutloud).

But seriously, folk, really good work and I always respect when one can lay one's soul so bare as this.
BTW, since you mentioned that this is not what you normally write, I'm looking forward to hearing your other stuff. Don't make us wait! We want it now! AAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!
--------------------