Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Let's hear your latest stuff....right here (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=60365)

a u t o h y p n o s i s 04-09-2004 10:25 PM

Re: Let\'s hear your latest stuff....right here

I have this one synthpop song I'm working on called "I Will Remember Everything" that I'd like some opinions on. I'm done tracking it and am working on mixing/self-mastering it.

The trouble I'm having is that I get drastically different levels of bass when I listen to it on different systems, and that's making it hard to know how to mix the bass track. My monitors have only 4-inch speakers, so the low-end frequency response isn't the greatest, which makes things that much more difficult.

If you guys could, download this mp3 of the song, listen to it and let me know what you think about the overall mix, but particularly the bass level. Perhaps the bass needs to be EQed a certain way? I still have a lot to learn about everything in recording, including mixing/EQing.

And for those of you who like to know such things, here's what I'm working with on this song:
Pro Tools LE 5.1 with Digi 001 on PC
KRK V4 monitors
Roland XP-80 workstation
Shure SM-58 mic

Nathan

PS - When you're done with your critiques, trash the mp3, as I don't want unfinished versions floating around anywhere. Once the final version is online, you'll all be welcome to download and share it at will.

gracejames 04-10-2004 12:46 PM

Roger:

That video was really cool! Man...i'm diggin it.

Happy Easter to you all.
=james

nightshadecrisis 04-10-2004 01:22 PM

I love Wallace and Gromit, IMO second in claymation only to Nightmare Before X-mas. Great job man!
ev

groovilator 04-10-2004 03:47 PM

Autohypnosis - I a/b'd your mix with a couple of cuts off of The Police's "Ghost In the Machine" that were in mp3 format as they were the only synthy tunes like that that I had at the ready. ("Spirits In The Material World" didn't work that well since the bassline seems to doubled w/ gtr. "Darkness" worked much better.)
My synopsis is that while the overall mix was pretty good, I could've used a little more bass and slightly less vocal with maybe a touch more reverb on the vocal to open it up a little although really vocal works fine like it is.
As for specifics on the bass I'm not sure if it needs more volume or just more bottom or maybe a little of both. My advice would be to do what I've done and a/b it with one or two tunes that are similar in sound. Make sure that you listen to everything at the same volume and in the same format. Putting the songs on a CD and comparing the differences on different systems would be a good idea.
Good luck.
Oh and I really like the trippy part toward the end.

Roy Howell 04-10-2004 11:18 PM

autohypnosis-
Quote:

If you guys could, download this mp3 of the song, listen to it and let me know what you think about the overall mix, but particularly the bass level.

Nathan,
I think your bass level is fine, as well as the overall mix. I would like to hear more than just the XP-80 (like maybe some guitar), but it's a good song. Be sure and post it if you do a remix.
-Roy

a u t o h y p n o s i s 04-11-2004 12:59 AM

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Chris Cavell 04-11-2004 06:32 AM

Autohypnosis,

About I will remember everything. The bass mix level sounds okay, maybe just a tad hotter (1 to 2 dB) would work well for synthpop. As far as getting the bass to be similar across several systems, that's more a mastering thing with synth stuff...try a multiband comp on the final mix paying careful attention to the two lowest frequency bands.

The mix is okay, I think perhaps the string/pad melody at the begginning could come down and sit a little better at the beginning. By today's standards for synthpop though, it seems a little plain. I suggest listening to Stings newest album, 'Sacred Love' for some ideas about additional effects, automation, and panning ideas that could really bring the mix to life (you could have loads of fun in the 'bridge/breakdown' thing starting around 2:45). Just my impression. I also think roy's right in wanting to hear some more solo/live instruments (like guitar) placed in alongside the synthwork. I hope some of this helps you turn this into a monster piece. Thanks for posting it.

-Chris

badperson 04-11-2004 09:01 PM

Here's a new one.

I'll catch up on some listening tomorrow.
bp

groovilator 04-12-2004 11:47 AM

Really nice tune, bp. You've got a very straightforward, matter-of-fact style in your writing that I dig. (That I envy, in fact - I always end up writing these crazy tunes with abstract topics.) And the recording has a nice two-guys-hanging-out-on-the-porch-with-their-guitars feel (although I assume it's all you). Yeah, when I was teenager I would, in fact, hang out jammin on the porch with my best friend and my wah pedal (and sometimes all my pedals).
Nice work, badmofo.

-----------------
tonyreymusic.com/secret_page...ssshhh

Micah777 04-12-2004 12:31 PM

groove- cool stuff.

autohypnosis- I like the tune but I agree with Chris's comments it's just a little plain. I realize it's a demo though.

bp- cool song. I think the vocals are a little loud in the beginning compared to guitar. Also, my cheapo speakers are getting buzz in them because the level's too hot. It might just be acoustic guitar buzz though. I think I hear a little of both. I have that problem a lot. I get a mix finished then check it on my cheapo computer speakers only to find I'm overdriving them so I have to drop all my levels.