Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   OT: making money.... (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=74151)

biff 05-13-2003 07:48 AM

OT: making money....

Hello all!

im currently waiting for the delivery of my digi 002 and awesome new computer system components. I have bought the system with a friend who i have a built a studio with in a converted victorian coach shed. This kit will mean the completion of our studio system and also the end of all our budget (largely sourced from student loans). Although the prospect of the studio being finished is very exciting i have now come to realise that i have spent all my money!

For about three years now i have always had this reserve of cash waiting to buy my studio gear, however it was always comfortinng to know i had it if ever i needed a bit for bills etc.

I suppose what i am concerned about is now that i have made such an investment how am i going to get it all back and hopefully carve a living from it???

i was just wondering how the people on the DUC manage? do you use your studios as commercial facilities? are you making production music...what?

any advice...or even just a shoulder to cry on would be greatly appreciated!

[img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

dodo 05-13-2003 07:58 AM

Re: OT: making money....

When someone comes to your studio make sure the client knows what your job is. Are you gonna be enginner, producer, or both? Make sure you charge more and get a contract if you are producer.

Sit with the client before the session and explain both and find out what their needs are.

biff 05-13-2003 08:01 AM

what we are hoping to do is take only solo people and duo's and produce them. so they come with basic songs and arrangements and we make them a little beefier! is there a market for this?

anyone in here doing any library/production music?

Chris Cavell 05-13-2003 08:16 AM

this is an expensive as hell hobby for anyone approaching it that way; I think we all intend to hopefully recoop the expense of our rigs at the very minimum. I've been lucky enough to be part of some well-equiped but poorly staffed facilities. I've gotten a bunch of customers come seeking independent work from me after dealing with my coworkers. Networking can do wonders, and don't make yourself scarce around the live music scene in your area. Someone looking to do a demo or just break away from their own band for bit to get some of their own songs down will inevitably hear about your setup and start considering it over the much pricier "professional" studios. Do a few "demo" albums for your band and give them away to other musicians for their "opinion". If you know you did a darn good job, you will probably spark some interest with this guise. If you find yourself absolutely needing work, no matter what the quality of musicianship, place a classified ad. You'd be surprised how many amateur musician's think they are ready to do an album, and have the money to do so. You say alot of this was built on student loan money; put up some flyers around campus. Colleges are hotspots for bands with dreams. Most importantly, is to keep the attitude (it helps if it's genuine) that you are not above anyone musically, that you're genuinely intrigued by other's projects, and really would like to be a part. And most important of all, get the credit on the album. Get a website up just for the studio, not associated with the band. Get all your friends bands to post links to it. Try to get people you work with to put links on their sites too. I know this may come off a bit Machiavellian, but if you're genuine and excited about the studio, you probably won't ever have to think of any of this, it will just happen.

By the way, nice website for Anechoic, I was surprised at just how fast it loaded on my dialup, and all the way from the UK!

biff 05-13-2003 08:39 AM

thanks chris thats great advice. i think showing genuine interest in what people do will certainly be a factor in getting people in the studio. i cant imagine showing inetesrt will be that hard as music is awesome!!!

thanks for the comments on the site....that is another thing i hope to d to earn a crust...flash web sites for bands and artists. i also did this for my girlfriend www.brainsfairies.co.uk

Chris Cavell 05-13-2003 09:14 AM

Brainsfairies is nice and all, but I like anechoic's better. The disign however is beautiful. I wish there was more content though.
Here are some examples of some friends flashed sites that I am really impressed with (maybe there's some inspiration/ ideas to be gained from them, I don't know):

www.marcbroussard.com
www.strawboss.com
www.davebarnes.com
www.32studios.com

32studios is a web design company a friend is part owner of. Check out their resume pages for a few examples. Don't steal though! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Good luck on the other side of the ocean! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

BigRedButton 05-13-2003 09:18 AM

Biff -

Welcome to the clubhouse!

My basic philosophy regarding recording for profit is as follows:

Your clients pay for (in order of importance):

1. Your talent as an engineer and/or producer.
2. What you bring to the table that your competitors don't.
3. Your recording and mixing environment.
4. Your gear.

Notice that gear is last. A great engineer can get blood from a stone. A lousy engineer can have top of the line gear, and produce a product that could kill weeds.

You've obviously invested a lot of cash in your facility, and it's understandable that you'd like to see a return, but the fact is, it will take time, and most likely, even more financial investment.

My advise to you is, be more concerned about helping your clients produce the best music possible, than about "getting you money back". Starting you own business is ALWAYS financially risky, and very few small business owners see a profit within the first few years.

Accept ALL types of clients, in ALL styles of music. You never know where your niche market may be. At first, while you're still finding your feet, charge very little for your services (I'm talking bare bones project rates), but deliver your best results. Your name is all you have in this business, and if you do outstanding work, your name will get out there.

Just remember, just because you have a room and some gear, no one owes you anything. This is the path you chose. Do it first and foremost for the love of music, and everything else will be gravy. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Be sure to keep us updated with your progress!!!

BigRedButton 05-13-2003 09:27 AM

Upon re-reading my post, it may have sounded like I was comming down on you. I hope this is not how you take it, as it was not my intention.

I really wish the highest levels of success for all my DUCkie brothers (and maybe one day, sisters).

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

biff 05-13-2003 09:33 AM

thanks for the advice button...dont worry i didnt take it badly. i know it will be hard but at the end of the day id be happy living in a shed as long as i got to be involved in music all my life.
its just my missus might kill me and trade me in for a chartered accountant... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Toby Gray 05-13-2003 09:54 AM

If you are going to to treat it as a business for profit learn the demographics of your location and who's your competition. I don't care for folks who set up in their living room or basement and declare it a place of business. I know some incredible talented folks who've done this and failed miserably over time. Go for clients with money, i.e. churches, corporations, etc. most musicians don't have squat to spend on recording unless they have day jobs. If you do deal with musician's projects make sure you let them know how much a completed project will cost them and get them to put some money down up front and then pay as they go.
Consider how many hours you put into a project and make sure you get compensated for it far above minimum wage! Put some money into advertisement and personally make the rounds to perspective clients to introduce yourself and your skills. Make sure you keep track of ALL of your tax deductable expenses, these may be one of your biggest avenues towards turning a profit.

Good luck!
Toby Gray