Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools | Carbon (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=161)
-   -   PT Ultimate License Granted with Carbon (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=418452)

tomhartman 01-04-2022 04:47 PM

PT Ultimate License Granted with Carbon

Hey folks, using this on my main Mac. Thinking of getting a laptop for another room.

Does this license I received allow me another install so I can run it on two Macs?

Thanks
Tom

albee1952 01-05-2022 07:53 AM

Re: PT Ultimate License Granted with Carbon

No, but you can install Ultimate on as many computer as you want and move the iLok to the computer you wish to run. If you need to run both at the same time, you will need to purchase a second license:o Do you really NEED Ultimate? Unless you work in surround or Atmos, regular Pro Tools covers a lot of ground.

abc1mce2 01-05-2022 03:53 PM

Another option. Assuming you have the Pro Tools Standard license that came with Carbon (The Ultimate license was a promo until 12/31/21) you can buy a 2nd iLok and register it to the same account you have now and move the PT Standard license on one iLok and the Ultimate license on another. This way you can use both licenses at once, one on your existing setup and the other on your laptop. Do remember if you want to keep your PT version current and access the Complete Plugin Bundle after your one year of support and upgrades, you'll need to buy two different support plans. One for PT Standard and one for PT Ultimate with the Ultimate Support Plan being the more expensive of the two. You have to assign the 2nd iLok to your current account cause the promo Ultimate license can not be sold or transferred to a different iLok account.

tomhartman 01-06-2022 11:16 AM

Oh for heaven's sake, why didn't I think of that LOL

Thanks so much! Yeah I just want to do minor stuff in another room "vanilla" is fine for that, will do!

Much appreciated! I forgot I had a license for it along with Ultimate.

Tom

dominicperry 01-06-2022 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomhartman (Post 2624697)

Thanks so much! Yeah I just want to do minor stuff in another room "vanilla" is fine for that, will do!

Tom

This may not work as the two licenses - Ultimate and Standard - sit under the same bundle on the iLok, as a "Locked Group".

abc1mce2 01-07-2022 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dominicperry (Post 2624707)
This may not work as the two licenses - Ultimate and Standard - sit under the same bundle on the iLok, as a "Locked Group".

As stated by Avid their separate licenses and actually the Standard license included with every Carbon purchase is a 1-year Subscription Perpetual Parachute (if you don't renew the subscription after the year's end or any year thereafter it turns into a Standard Perpetual license) This was done so that you'll always have a PT license for use with your Carbon. The Ultimate license and Auto-Tune Hybrid license promo between September and December 31 was an incentive for new buyers. Avid had a little blowback from early adopters about the promo and gratefully decided that all previous Carbon purchasers would receive an Ulitmate license free of charge (just not the Auto-Tune Hybrid license). So every purchaser before Dec.31 has a 1-year Subscription Perpetual Parachute license and an Ultimate Perpetual license with 1 year of support and upgrades. The only thing with the promo Ultimate license is it can not be sold or transferred to a different iLok account, it must remain on the iLok account you attached your Carbon purchase too. Like any other license on your iLok account, it can be moved between different iLoks on the same account. What would be the purpose of having 2 licenses if you couldn't move them to separate iLoks to use on different machines?

Also, I should mention that users like myself that already own a PT Ultimate or Standard license on a current support and upgrade plan prior to purchasing a Carbon has a separate option to either;

A) Take the 1-year Subscription Perpetual Parachute License or
B) Extend your current support and upgrade plan by 1 year.

Better yet here's the Avid link to answer all your questions.
https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...FAQ/Carbon-FAQ

dominicperry 01-07-2022 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abc1mce2 (Post 2624792)
As stated by Avid their separate licenses and actually the Standard license included with every Carbon purchase is a 1-year Subscription Perpetual Parachute (if you don't renew the subscription after the year's end or any year thereafter it turns into a Standard Perpetual license) This was done so that you'll always have a PT license for use with your Carbon. The Ultimate license and Auto-Tune Hybrid license promo between September and December 31 was an incentive for new buyers. Avid had a little blowback from early adopters about the promo and gratefully decided that all previous Carbon purchasers would receive an Ulitmate license free of charge (just not the Auto-Tune Hybrid license). So every purchaser before Dec.31 has a 1-year Subscription Perpetual Parachute license and an Ultimate Perpetual license with 1 year of support and upgrades. The only thing with the promo Ultimate license is it can not be sold or transferred to a different iLok account, it must remain on the iLok account you attached your Carbon purchase too. Like any other license on your iLok account, it can be moved between different iLoks on the same account. What would be the purpose of having 2 licenses if you couldn't move them to separate iLoks to use on different machines?

Also, I should mention that users like myself that already own a PT Ultimate or Standard license on a current support and upgrade plan prior to purchasing a Carbon has a separate option to either;

A) Take the 1-year Subscription Perpetual Parachute License or
B) Extend your current support and upgrade plan by 1 year.

Better yet here's the Avid link to answer all your questions.
https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...FAQ/Carbon-FAQ

I don't have any questions. And that article doesn't mention Ultimate at all.

However, my point still stands - the Standard and Ultimate licenses are contained within a single Locked Group on the iLok.

abc1mce2 01-07-2022 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomhartman (Post 2624697)

Tom

No problem. Were here to help each other out.

abc1mce2 01-07-2022 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dominicperry (Post 2624807)

However, my point still stands - the Standard and Ultimate licenses are contained within a single Locked Group on the iLok.

Your correct on both, that was the wrong link. Here's the correct link:
https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...Q/Carbon-Promo

Ultimate and Standard are on the same locked group if you only purchase a single Ultimate license as you mentioned. The Carbon PT subscription perpetual parachute license is a separate license from the Ultimate/Standard license that your or I have or the promo Ultimate license that came with Carbon before Dec. 31, 2021. In other words, they are an unlocked group. The Ultimate license will be locked with a Standards license as you said but the Subscription Perpetual Parachute will be separate from the other license. This is no different than you purchasing a subscription to use on a 2nd machine than the Ultimate license you're running on your current machine.

This has been discussed here before and it's in the article. They are 2 separate licenses.

abc1mce2 01-07-2022 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dominicperry (Post 2624807)

I believe the misunderstanding was my fault by calling the included Carbon Pro Tools Subscription Pereptual Parachute a Pro Tools Standard license (in terms of functionality that what it is).

The Ultimate and Perpetual Parachute Licenses are separate and not a locked group.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.