Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Let's hear your latest stuff....right here (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=60365)

badperson 12-06-2004 10:55 AM

Re: Let\'s Hear Your Latest

Hey Chris;

Is that your favorite OH setup for situations, rock included? I remember you posted a song you mixed, but didn't track where the ride stood out a tad too much, and you said it was probably due to the OH setup on the tracking session. What do you think they used on that session?

thanks.

bp

Chris Cavell 12-06-2004 11:24 AM

Quote:

Hey Chris;

Is that your favorite OH setup for situations, rock included? I remember you posted a song you mixed, but didn't track where the ride stood out a tad too much, and you said it was probably due to the OH setup on the tracking session. What do you think they used on that session?

thanks.

bp

It's my favorite for Jazz...aamof...I don't think I've ever used it for rock. I don't really have a favorite for rock, just a few go-to methods. I usually wind up using a similar setup but ORTF instead of X-Y for rock. Occasionally, I'll try a strict x-y technique with 414's and add room mics (but only if the room kick's butt) if the ORTF doesn't work. In both cases, the tom mics are more present in the mix. If those two methods don't work, I usually start changing the kit around...starting with the layout and the cymbals then moving on to the toms and snare. That song I posted some time ago (i think you're talking about "moment")...I think the tracking engineer was nuts...he didn't use any "standard" stereo micing technique...it was some kind of funky mic-the-cymbals-from-the-bottom-instead-of-from-the-top modification of spaced pair technique...(I think the engineer must have misread a diagram somewhere.. ). His room mics were equally screwy...and sounded filtered or distorted, one being incredibly clean and the other super wet...It took a lot of painstaking work to get them to where they were in that post...

As a mixing engineer coming from a classical and jazz engineering background, I detest having to work with spaced pair...x/y and ortf are infinitely more versatile in the mixing phase, and produce a sound that is far more naturally balanced and pleasing to the ear imo.

Pete Weaver 12-06-2004 02:44 PM

Re: Mac Mixes!!!!!!!!

Hey Gang,

This is Pete from Half The World.

Thanks very much for the kind comments and reviews.
I thought I'd answer some questions about the signal chain used.

This was recorded and mixed 100% in the box, PTLE Digi 001 except for the front end.
All tracks were run into an Apogee Trak 2 24bit 44.1k and straight into Pro Tools.
Belive it or not we did NOT have a nice room to record in. This was all done in my
living room, which has not been tweaked in any way for acoustics. There is a doorway
heading into another room from my living room which is flanked by two little walls on either
side. This is where I put the vocal mic and I hang a blanket down the door surface so that as
the vocalist is singing their voice doesn't reflect off the door. This acts as a little
sort of "vocal booth".

The signal chain on the vocals was as follows:

Mary belting out her vocals into a Studio Projects C1
then into the Apogee Trak 2 (which is a killer mic pre and A to D) then straight into PTLE.
My plugin chain on ALL vocals for any session I do is the secret weapon.
1. Waves Renaissance compressor
2. Waves Renaissance VOX (set to the 25db comp preset, which makes the vocal JUMP out at you)
3. Bus a vocal send over to an aux input with delay and or reverb when appropriate.

Bass was recorded DI into the Apogee Trak 2 but next time I'll probably mic it as well.
I tend to run DAD valves on guitar and bass tracks and McDSP Analog Channel on other tracks
and most importantly on the Master Fader, and I mix into this plug from the get go.
Finally, we got the album professionally mastered.

Getting ready to start recording the new album now.

Roy Howell 12-06-2004 03:06 PM

Let\'s hear your latest stuff....right here

DR. Loop/Bob,
I was just looking for your new one and it's gone...I've been very busy lately and am trying to catch up. Repost it when you can...thanks, Roy

DR.Loop 12-06-2004 03:40 PM

Re: Let\'s hear your latest stuff....right here

Hey Roy,

Yea i deleted BrainFreeze1205 because of the lead guitar spots.I did not really like the way i ended each part and maybe a touch to loud in the mix it was starting to bug me. Hopefully i'll redo them... maybe.lol

I play bass in this too.

Well here it is the way it was before i took it down.

http://www.freewebs.com/fracturecomposer/music.htm

Bob

Roy Howell 12-06-2004 07:12 PM

DR.Loop,
Glad to get to hear it. Nice piece...very clean, and the solos are cool to me, because you're playing them in a different key position than one normally would, but it works. Nice to hear it with bass too...
Good stuff...
-Roy

DR.Loop 12-06-2004 08:55 PM

Thanks Roy

I am just about to finished working on a live 4 piece jazz band recording for a good friend of mine who is a unbelievable sax player(old school). There are 8 songs all together(jazz standards). Beautiful stuff. I'll ask him if he minds if i post 1 or 2 of them.I'm sure he won't mind.I think a lot of people here would like it.

Roy... maybe you will be interested in this. Another friend of mine Charlie(Chuck)Campbell of the Campbell Brothers Sacred Steel Guitars . He is a pedal steel guitar player.
www.campbellbrothers.com

Bob

Roy Howell 12-07-2004 12:41 AM

Thanks for the Campbell Bros. link...I listened to 'Don't let the Devil Ride'.....really interesting hearing blues played on a steel guitar...very cool.
-Roy

Roy Howell 12-07-2004 12:55 AM

Re: First tunes

Finne,
This is a really good song...as you mentioned, it deserves a better singer, but I think you've got a good mix going other than that. I definitely like the guitar sounds...enjoyed listening...Good job, and good luck with finding a singer.
-Roy

scottedog 12-07-2004 09:35 PM

Chris,

Those are some sweet sounding drums. Looking forward to hearing some vocals, too.

Aaron,

I like the harmonic structure. Wow, does that guy have a set of lungs!
I realize it's a sample, try putting in some breath breaks for some "fake realism". Nice version.