Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Let's hear your latest stuff....right here (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=60365)

Aussie169 04-22-2004 11:40 PM

Re: Let\'s hear your latest stuff....right here

Quote:

Quote:

hey olaf, i was cruising through Roy's music and found one with some vocals on it, a very fun piece called Cellphone Blues, im not sure if its Roy or not, but its definitely worth a listen, in fact....im listening to it right now!
ev

Definitely a must listen! Funny lyrics and some of Roy's blazing and inventive blues noise. That's not Roy on the mic, it's a collaboration with someone else who is, BTW, a fantastic singer. Definitely in Roy's league. But there is one somewhere on here with a RH vocal, I think it's about a vampire or something. Great tune anyway. Can ya hep us out here, RoyMaBoy?

I can help you out there..... it's Paul Curtiz

AfricanCaneKing 04-23-2004 10:46 AM

Check out more stuff from The Cane king

True Love: feat Jennifer Composed by BeJay, Engineered By African Cane Kng

i recorded this the other day and havent had the chance to mix it properly apart from the template plugin/presets i use.

The Champ: Feat Cassim, composed by Bejay, recorded and engineered by African Cane King

i recoreded this a few hours ago, and im looking for feedback, i personally think the chorus could be better, but the verses are good, any feedback is appreciated.

ps before ripping the sound quality a little disclaimer: THE Afro Cane is not Responsible for the quality of recordings made a few hours ago

Joe Evans 04-23-2004 11:41 AM

Hey guys,

This is my first post on this thread. This is a song I wrote and recorded last year on a friend's Digi001 system (before I bought mine). The drums and bass are samples played on a keyboard. I am playing all instruments and doing the vocals. This is not really typical of what I normally write, but it was written during a breakup with my wife so it sort of reflects that. I am not a vocalist so any pointers in that direction would be helpful. Tear it up guys!

--joe

Little Miami

Roy Howell 04-23-2004 11:47 AM

groovilator,
Yep, that's Paul Curtiz(Belgium DUCer/great singer/writer) on vocals on 'Cellphone Blues'. The intro to that song was the reason we wrote the song. I was just basically jamming with a room mike on, and my cellphone rang, which messed up the recording. Instead of killing my phone, I decided to keep that intro and have it kick into some harder blues. I asked Paul if he would sing it, and the next day he sent those lyrics and killer vocals. I didn't try to make the production perfect. We just had fun with it.
The cool thing is, Paul just completed video/music work on a new documentary movie about 'bikers' in Belgium, and he used that 'Cellphone' guitar intro in the movie.(and another song of mine). So that's gonna be cool.

Rabidium/Olaf,
On the mandolins...I played the mandolins on 'Madness", but I originally played them in another song of mine. I 'lifted' my own tracks to do 'Madness and Magic'. So in that sense only, they're samples.
But also, at the time when I recorded them, I created a few scales of one-note mandolin samples (by miking the real mandolin, one note at a time). Then Bastiaan created an NNXT refill using these mando samples for me, so they can be played on keyboard. They work really well for some things.

thanks, Roy

Roy Howell 04-23-2004 05:01 PM

Joe,
Glad to see you posting your stuff...nice song...I like the mood you set up with it. Maybe you can find somebody around here to resing it if you're not quite satisfied with the vocal. What kind of 12 string are you using on it?
thanks, Roy

Joe Evans 04-23-2004 09:18 PM

Thanks Roy,

Actually that is a 6 string Seagull that I double tracked. I intentionally tried to play a little behind on the second take to make a little chorusy (is that a word) sound. I did end up putting a small amount of chorus from a plug on both takes and panned them full left and right. I rolled off everything below 80Hz to lose the boominess. (I think it was 80, it might have been higher)

Tell me honestly, do the vocals sound as bad as I think they do or is this just the typical hyper-critical stance most people take when they hear their own voice?

Thanks again.

--joe

Aussie169 04-23-2004 09:35 PM

Hey Jo (sounds like a good name for a song)

Good job on the track. Sounds great. I think your vocals are fine. And really they are the kind of lyrics that no one else will do justice to. They are probably too personal to you to be sung by anyone else.

Joe Evans 04-23-2004 10:09 PM

Thanks Mark,

I appreciate that. Most of the songs I wrote at that time were all pretty personal and assuredly mean more to me that anyone else so you may be right. I *was* hoping that my voice fit the mood of the song.

How do you guys take a song that starts out very personal and make it more broad in appeal? I mean, the kind of song that when you hear it on the radio you say, "yeah, that's exactly how I feel". Do you get what I am asking?

--joe

Roy Howell 04-24-2004 10:44 PM

AfricanCaneKing,
I think you're doing a good job with these mixes. I like the instrumentation and the groove in both of these. Is the guitar in 'The Champ' from Reason?
Good job... -Roy

Rabidium 04-24-2004 10:55 PM

Hi, guys, glad to see my lengthy comments were helpful to some. It's nice to give feedback, and it helps me focus on what's important to me in music. All of the music here is really good.

So I have a new album May 1st, it's a little different from what I normally hear here, but hopefully some of you will give it a chance. It's basically a full album, meaning I don't have a single to offer, so for now I'm just going to put up the first ten minutes or so and see what you think. This is my Retro Techno album, it's called "House of Slovenly Truth", and its meant to be a deconstruction of sorts of techno music, through the filter of all the video games I played as a kid.

Feel free to be honest and open with criticism/critiques, I won't take it personally. This isn't the kind of music I listen to, so making it has been an interesting dynamic for me. I'd love to get specific feedback on the mastering, because I've struggled with it, right now it sounds a bit harsher than I think it might, and the overall level may not be loud enough. Tell me what you think! And if anyone here listens to/makes techno music, I'd love to chat or email personally, I think you can send me an email by clicking my name.

House of Slovenly Truth
-Olaf