Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Eleven Rack (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   11 Rack to PC Connection Problem - Help Please (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=341972)

InnerSpark 07-18-2013 09:36 AM

11 Rack to PC Connection Problem - Help Please

Hello, first post here. If anything is out of decorum, please let me know, so I can edit the post to match it.

I've been a 11R user for four years, and have loved it since. However, I recently built a new machine and now I've run into problems. My new DVD drive wont recognize the DVD. It worked just fine on my previous PC, but once I click setup, it goes to a small grey window that freezes.

I contacted support, and I was directed to download mirrors, to get all the necessary PT8 LE via download, as well as all the updates 11R drivers.

The PT8 LE installs work just fine. When prompted to connect to the PC and to power on the 11R to begin the installation I click "ok" and it installs fine, but I've been noticing that my machine doesn't even recognize the 11R to begin with. I launch PT 8 LE and obviously I get stuck at the loading screen asking me to "connect my 11R to continue" dialogue box.

I don't know why, but my PC won't recognize the device at all. Won't even show up in device manager, doesn't show as attached hardware, and Windows doesn't even make the obligatory "beep" when new peripherals are connected. The USB drives are fine, and the USB cable from the 11r -> is fine (used it on my external HD and worked just fine) so I'm not exactly sure what the problem could be. I dear hope that its not a damaged USB port on the rear panel of the 11r.

It worked great on the old machine, and literally moved it to the new machine hours later to no avail. That was a week ago, been googling, searching, anything I could, exhausted my support via e-mail and am forced to purchase a ticket with AVID or I was advised to come here.

Any help, is deeply appreciated.

The Specs:
-Intel i7 3770k (stock @ 3.5ghz) on a Gigabyte Z77x D3h TH motherboard
-Windows 7 64bit Ultimate
-Digi Eleven Rack version 2.0.1. / Build 0.1.5.7
-Pro Tools 8 LE 8.0.4
-16gb of Samsung 12800 PC3, 2x 8gb

Peripherals:
-Standard PS-2 keyboard
-RAZER Imperator USB 2.0 Mouse
-Logitech Desktop microphone USB 2.0
- WD External HD 1gb USB 2.0
-Creative Audio 2.1 speakers

Drives:
-Samsung 840 Pro 256gb SSD (boot, OS, software drive)
-2x Seagate 1TB 7200rpm Harddrives set in RAID 0 (storage/temp file drive)
-All ports connected via eSata 6

Trouble shooting I've had:
Described and detailed above.

Sandra Report:

SiSoftware Sandra

ID
Host Name : WIN-3CIATTVLUKK
Workgroup : WORKGROUP

Computer
Model : GigaByte
Serial Number : To be fille***********
Chassis : GigaByte Desktop
Mainboard : GigaByte Z77MX-D3H TH
Serial Number : To be fille***********
BIOS : AMI (OEM) F5 10/12/2012
Intel vPro : 8.01.00.1248
Total Memory : 16GB DIMM DDR3

Processors
Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (4C 8T 3.8GHz, 3.8GHz IMC, 4x 256kB L2, 8MB L3)
Socket/Slot : FC LGA1155

Chipset
Memory Controller : Gigabyte Core (Ivy Bridge) DRAM Controller 100MHz, 2x 8GB DIMM DDR3 1.6GHz 128-bit

Memory Module(s)
Memory Module : Samsung M378B1G73BH0-CK0 8GB DIMM DDR3 PC3-12800U DDR3-1600 (11-11-11-29 5-40-13-6)
Memory Module : Samsung M378B1G73BH0-CK0 8GB DIMM DDR3 PC3-12800U DDR3-1600 (11-11-11-29 5-40-13-6)

Video System
Monitor/Panel : LG IPS277
(1920x1080, 27.2")
Video Adapter : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 (8CU 1536SP SM5.0 1GHz/1.2GHz, 512kB L2, 4GB 7GHz 256-bit, PCIe 3.00 x16)

Graphics Processor
OpenCL GP Processor : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 (1536SP 8C 1GHz/1.2GHz, 512kB L2, 4GB 7GHz 256-bit)
Compute Shader Processor : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 (1536SP 8C 1GHz/1.2GHz, 512kB L2, 4GB 7GHz 256-bit)
CUDA GP Processor : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 (1536SP 8C 1GHz/1.2GHz, 512kB L2, 4GB 7GHz 256-bit)

Storage Devices
Intel Raid 0 Volume (2TB, RAID, SCSI-4) : 2TB (D:)
Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series (256GB, SATA600, SSD) : 238GB (C:)
2x Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 (8.5GB, ATAPI0/SATA600, 3.5", DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 768kB Cache) : 8GB (E:)

Logical Storage Devices
FUJI RAID0 (D:) : 2TB (NTFS) @ Intel Raid 0 Volume (2TB, RAID, SCSI-4)
시스템 예약 : 100MB (NTFS)
Hard Disk (C:) : 238GB (NTFS) @ Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series (256GB, SATA600, SSD)
Pro Tools LE (E:) : 8GB (CDFS) @ 2x Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 (8.5GB, ATAPI0/SATA600, 3.5", DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 768kB Cache)

Peripherals
LPC Hub Controller 1 : Gigabyte Panther Point LPC Controller
LPC Legacy Controller 1 : T2 87-28
Audio Device : Gigabyte Panther Point High Definition Audio Controller
Audio Device : nVidia GK104 HDMI Audio Controller
Audio Codec : nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra [NV40.0]
Audio Codec : 1 0001
Disk Controller : Gigabyte Panther Point 6 port SATA AHCI Controller
USB Controller 1 : Gigabyte Panther Point USB xHCI Host Controller
USB Controller 2 : Gigabyte Panther Point USB Enhanced Host Controller #2
USB Controller 3 : Gigabyte Panther Point USB Enhanced Host Controller #1
SMBus/i2c Controller 1 : Intel ICH SMBus

Printers and Faxes
Printer : Microsoft XPS Document Writer (600x600, Colour)
Fax : Microsoft Shared Fax Driver (200x200)

Network Services
Network Adapter : Qualcomm Atheros AR8161/8165 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20) (Ethernet, 100Mbps)

Operating System
Windows System : Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 6.01.7600
Platform Compliance : x64

Thank you all so much!

YYR123 07-18-2013 10:40 AM

Re: 11 Rack to PC Connection Problem - Help Please

Thanks for the Sandra

Can u hook up the eleven rack to another PC ? Maybe a friends house or a laptop? That's gonna be the telltale factor

Benoni 07-18-2013 02:36 PM

So nothing happens if you turn on the PC, let it boot, then turn on the 11R? You don't get a little chime or anything?

Are the drivers installed?

What exact version of LE8 did you install? You need at least 8.0.1 and you should be using 8.0.5.

If you just have 8.0.0 installed, apply the 8.0.5 update, restart the PC, and try again.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...667?popup=true

Do the drivers show in Programs and Features? Do you have the Eleven Rack Control panel showing in Windows Control Panel?

Are there any settings in BIOS that you may have changed regarding USB?

Do other peripherals work in the SAME port that the 11R is plugged in to?

Have you tried a different USB port? Try them all. Are they USB 1.1, 2, or 3 ports?

InnerSpark 07-18-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benoni (Post 2064165)
So nothing happens if you turn on the PC, let it boot, then turn on the 11R? You don't get a little chime or anything?

Are the drivers installed?

YES, 1.1.6

What exact version of LE8 did you install? You need at least 8.0.1 and you should be using 8.0.5.

Interesting development, I have 8.0.4 installed on my computer, I visited the link and downloaded the 8.0.5 updater and it gives me the error "This updater cannot locate a valid Pro Tools installation on your system. Press OK to continue." Which is nothing short of bizarre. I have 8.0.4 CLEARLY installed, and appearing in my Control Panel.

If you just have 8.0.0 installed, apply the 8.0.5 update, restart the PC, and try again.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...667?popup=true

Do the drivers show in Programs and Features? Do you have the Eleven Rack Control panel showing in Windows Control Panel?

YES

Are there any settings in BIOS that you may have changed regarding USB?

NO

Do other peripherals work in the SAME port that the 11R is plugged in to?

YES. ALL PORTS ARE WORKING PROPERLY. ALL TESTED ON VARIOUS PERIPHERALS.

Have you tried a different USB port? Try them all. Are they USB 1.1, 2, or 3 ports?

YES, I HAVE TRIED. ONLY USB 2 AND 3 ON MY COMP, TRIED THEM ALL, AND NOTHING.

Thank you all for the quick replies. It turns out, perhaps PT 8 LE didn't install correct? I don't even know if its relevant because the PC itself doesn't recognize the unit. Perhaps my original PT8LE install didn't complete fully cause the 11r didn't connect during installation?

Sigh

InnerSpark 07-18-2013 08:39 PM

- Nothing happens when I turn on the 11r. Nothing, no chime, no "new hardware found" no nothing.

-Driver 1.1.6 for 11r is installed.

-LE8 8.0.4. I went to the download link to update to 8.0.5 but when I tried to apply the update it says, "Installer could not locate a valid version of Pro Tools on your system. Press OK to continue." Which is strange, cause I downloaded 8.0.4 from the avid site, per customer service, and installed it. It is showing.

-Drivers show in Program and Features and CP.

-BIOS is the same.

-ALL usb hubs and ports are fine. Only 2.0 or 3.0 on my MOBO. All periphals work well and fine.

I am worried that the 8.0.5 installed didn't go through. I find it odd that they can't find a valid PTLE installation when there clearly is one. Perhaps the installation failed cause the 11R itself could not connect to the PC?

Darryl Ramm 07-18-2013 10:40 PM

Where is the Pro Tools LE software itself installed? It should be on the C: drive.

Why are you using RAID anything on a Pro Tools system? Pro Tools does not typically like RAID and certainly a bad idea with old LE systems. Not that this will cause this problem but you don't want to do this.

What does the device manager show for the Eleven Rack state? Absolutely nothing? Uninstall and reinstall the driver (with the Eleven rack disconnected). Do all the usual USB debugging steps. Disconnect as many other USB devices from the PC as you can. Do a full power down/restart of the PC (do frequently between other tests). Try all the USB2 (not 3) ports. Try several different "known to work" USB cables (I don't care that this particular cable or or port works for another peripheral, that does not guarantee it will work OK for theEleven Rack, try several other cables/ports)

Can you test if the Eleven Rack is even seen over USB on another computer?

Have you done all the standard systems optimizations, disable USB power management etc. etc.?

Does the Eleven Rack still work OK stand-alone? You can try doing a memory reset on it (front panel user options, will erase all user rigs etc.), although I doubt that will help.

The CD/DVD drive does not work, the Eleven Rack is not recognized, is anything else wrong/broken with this PC?

Darryl

Darryl Ramm 07-18-2013 10:54 PM

I am not following why Sandra is showing the DVD contents apparently mounted on a RAID volume (2x Seagate drives). I suspect you have some fundamental issues there that need fixing before you do anything else. Start by blowing away the RAID setups and just use those drives separately. If things still misbehave reinstall Windows from scratch. Then install Pro Tools on the C:/SSD Drive.

It looks like you went with the default partition on the Samsung 840 Pro, for better sustained write performance I would leave 20% or so free space if you can. But either way make sure TRIM is enabled for this drive in Windows. And also check the drive is running the latest firmware (use the Samsung Magician tool).

Darryl Ramm 07-18-2013 11:29 PM

And since you had problems it sounds like you were not able to follow the Windows 7 specific install/upgrade instructions about not connecting the interface before installing 8.0.5, so uninstalling and reinstalling Pro Tools may be needed anyhow. See http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...667?popup=true

lspaulsp 07-19-2013 07:16 AM

Did you swap out the USB cable? Mine was bad.

albee1952 07-19-2013 07:35 AM

Just to recap what I see as the important details:
Make sure RAID is NOT enabled
Drives should be set to AHCI in BIOS
Try another USB cable
DO NOT use a USB3 port(the blue ones)
Update the USB3 drivers(so the blue USB3 ports can be used for other USB devices)
Go to Control Panel>Uninstall a Program and uninstall Pro Tools(power the 11R OFF)
Download LE version 8.0.3 AND 8.0.5(.0.3 is a full installer, .0.5 is an update only)
With the 11R powered OFF, run the 8.0.3 installer, and when it asks for the interface to be connected, DO NOTHING. Just click Okay, let it finish and reboot. Then run the 8.0.5 updater. When the updater asks for the interface, power the 11R ON, wait a few seconds, then click okay, let it finish and reboot. Now cross your fingers:D

One last point to remember, if you see any popups saying "New Hardware Found", do NOT click on them at all. Ignore them and they will disappear on their own. Fingers crossed:o