Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Let's hear your latest stuff....right here (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=60365)

luffe 09-13-2007 11:58 PM

Re: Overnight Lows

Quote:

ha! Famous last words.

Doc

Hehehe.....heeeeeeh? I never thought of it that way...

luffe

Dogcode 09-16-2007 02:44 AM

Joz....

The track sounds great!.......but I think I`m hearing some Autotune issues especially in the first verse. As Doc said....maybe your using it for the Cher effect...but I`m personally not a fan of Auto tune. I`m using Waves Tune and find it to be brilliant.

jmo...

..Dog

Robbie Hollywood 09-17-2007 08:18 PM

Re: Mac Mixes!!!!!!!!

Quote:

Hi Friends. Here's a tune from a demo I just recently did for a local band.
I used:
003 console
P.T.L.E. 7.3.1cs2
Rode & Shure mics
Krank amps

GORILLA

I wish the vox were more in-your-face. I also wish I could tell you how to do that. Are your drum sounds recorded or programmed?

Joz 09-18-2007 03:01 PM

Wow, I've forgotten there was a chromatic auto tune in the verses, it was even tuning notes out of tune. I took the auto tune out and finalized the 2 mixes.
www.overnightlows.com/music/waitaminute.mp3
www.overnightlows.com/music/areyouready.mp3

Joz

Lanois WannaB 09-21-2007 09:27 AM

Here's a local band I just engineered/mixed/mastered/produced all on 002r.

The dowry

Guerilla recording at its' best. Crappy drums and amps, in even crappier spaces, but great songs.

Robbie Hollywood 09-21-2007 02:10 PM

Quote:

New one here. It's close but not quite all the way there. Well okay, "close" is a relative term. So, "close" given my limited abilities. Any and all critiques welcome and greatly appreciated.
Wheels
P.S. - This is the first mix with the Black Lion mod
http://www.songramp.com/mod/mps/view...?trackid=58959

I think it sounds good. What gear did you use besides the ProjectMix? Any external PreAmps or anything? Do you think the Black Lion Mod was worth it? I'm considering it. Can you tell the difference?

Wheeltard 09-22-2007 12:04 PM

Thanks Robbie. Per your questions, I've got an 002 desk and run PT LE 7.1 (latest cs -- I've no desire to jump to 7.3 given the gripes posted here). Externally, I use a tc electronic Gold Channel digital pre. I LOVE that thing. I run the "Gold Vocal" preset on my vox with an Audio Techna AT2020 mic. I actually have an ADK $600 tube mic, but that lil' AT2020 with the tc just beats everything I have. I also use that pre with the close mic preset along with a SM57 to mic my lil' Fender Champ-like 8" amp.

My acoustic guitar and bass are run through a Presonus Eureka pre. I fiddle and tweak to suit. Sometimes I like to split the bass line and run it through the Eureka and the other signal through my lil' Korg bass emulator. But mostly I run it through the Eureka. My drums are EZ Drummer and I run individual outs to separate audio channels for the entire kit. I research my grooves and fills and then "play" 'em. I then go back and stack my tracks with samples from my Yamaha DTXtreme IIs elec. kit. Mix 'em down to stereo channels and voila! Sampled drums that don't sound too "sampled."

I have Waves SSL4000 plug package, but since I've gotten the McDSP Project Studio bundle, that's pretty much all I use in terms of compressors, verbs and EQs during mix. I love that bundle. The best $400 or so you can spend IMHO. Didn't really know what people were talking about when they would say this eq or that compressor is "transparent" until I got the McDSP. You can carve so much in terms of eq that it's not even funny. I wish I knew more about eq'ing but I can tell that in the hands of someone who does, this puppy will allow you to do real sonic sculpture. Alas, I'm not that guy.

Finally, and I apologize for running on, I do believe the mod has give me a more "open" sound to my tracking and mixes. I think there's a level of detail, especially in both the bottom and top end that the improved pres and converters give me. But I wouldn't rule out the placebo effect either. However, as a 002 owner, I can't get the full Tweakhead mod which gives you the added power stage enhancements. That's for 002R owners only. But from what I've read from those testimonials, those guys and girls are like Moonies they're so sold on the sonic difference it makes. So, short answer, I'm glad I made the investment. For me, any advantage I can get is going to help me and my stuff.

Of course, your mileage may vary.
Best,
Wheels

Magnus Hedlund 09-25-2007 06:33 AM

Hi!

I've uploaded a song called "Kentucky Train" on MySpace...
Hope you like it.

MySpace.com/magnushedlund

-Magnus

PookaStew 09-26-2007 05:58 PM

Quote:

Hi!

Hope you like it.

-Magnus

Love it -- and requested to be friends.

Who did the drums?

Magnus Hedlund 09-27-2007 12:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Hi!

Hope you like it.

-Magnus

Love it -- and requested to be friends.

Who did the drums?

Thank you for your kind words, and I accepted your request just now... Your music is awesome.
The drums are made with a little friend called "EZ Drummer", actually, that's one of my best friends for the moment.

Take care, and again, thanks.
-Magnus

MySpace/magnushedlund