Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   AAX Plug-ins (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   How are AAX VI's working out in PT11? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=340565)

jumle 06-24-2013 07:12 AM

How are AAX VI's working out in PT11?

Hi folks

I've been anxiously awaiting PT11 for one specific reason, which is remarkably better performance with VI's, which have always been a pain in the ass for me (Pro Tools 9 on a Mac Pro 4,1) compared with almost any other DAW, as I believe it exposes the underlying flaws of PT code somewhat blatantly....
I always had ridiculously bad performance with this, while in Logic f.e., I could just keep stacking, stacking, stacking, stacking into the realm of the unnecessary..... ;)

How are the experiences from you guys so far? Any differences?
Track/instrument count? Stability? CPU loads? Anybody doing setups now, that they could never do before in PT?

Give some insight on your experiences with this :o)

clausiii 06-24-2013 07:23 AM

Re: How are AAX VI's working out in PT11?

It's definately better! I tried the PT11 stock VIs, and they run much better than the RTAS versions.
But i haven't tested them extensively, to be honest. Anyway, my first impression, very good!

Southsidemusic 06-24-2013 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clausiii (Post 2052855)
It's definately better! I tried the PT11 stock VIs, and they run much better than the RTAS versions.
But i haven't tested them extensively, to be honest. Anyway, my first impression, very good!

And ... The PT stock PI's and VI's are really way better than I thought. Never used the majority before as we have soo many great options on 3rd party so today tested Maxim, CS and the EQ7 and they are really good sounding :p

Maybe it's a good thing (or maybe not :p) that we have to make due with theße for a little while to find out how good (or bad) they really perform..

Onto the next batch to try out tonight. Fingers X'd :D

musicman691 06-24-2013 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jumle (Post 2052849)
Hi folks

I've been anxiously awaiting PT11 for one specific reason, which is remarkably better performance with VI's, which have always been a pain in the ass for me (Pro Tools 9 on a Mac Pro 4,1) compared with almost any other DAW, as I believe it exposes the underlying flaws of PT code somewhat blatantly....
I always had ridiculously bad performance with this, while in Logic f.e., I could just keep stacking, stacking, stacking, stacking into the realm of the unnecessary..... ;)

How are the experiences from you guys so far? Any differences?
Track/instrument count? Stability? CPU loads? Anybody doing setups now, that they could never do before in PT?

Give some insight on your experiences with this :o)

How are AAX vi's working in PT11?
If you use any third party vi's than it's a disaster. There's very few vi's in AAX 64 bit as of now. Nothing from Native Instruments, fxpansion, East West with the Play engine. That means any company that uses the Kontakt engine their product can't be used at this time in PT11. I tend not to use the stock Avid vi's as the sound does nothing for me.

nst7 06-24-2013 11:12 AM

Play 4, with AAX compatibility, comes out July 15th, FYI.

musicman691 06-24-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nst7 (Post 2053027)
Play 4, with AAX compatibility, comes out July 15th, FYI.

Major cool!:cool::cool::cool:

Carl Lie 06-24-2013 01:45 PM

I made tracks with Boom, Grand, DB33, Vacuum and Xpand 2 with chords of 7 tones repeating for 20 bars. I then selected these tracks and duplicated them 10 times for 50 more tracks.

After turning down the master I was able to run these 50 plus VI's with my CPU at 18%. I really look forward to more VI's to run.

Carl