Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   What is the Hybrid Engine? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=413749)

loopzilla2 01-21-2021 10:49 PM

What is the Hybrid Engine?

I've been reading about the new Hybrid Engine coming for HDX users. One of its main features seems to be the ability to switch a plugin from DSP to Native and back again. Don't HDX users already have that? I've used the feature for years.

I'm confused about what the Hybrid Engine brings to the table. Can anyone share more info?

Bob Olhsson 01-22-2021 10:34 AM

Re: What is the Hybrid Engine?

My understanding is that the Hybrid Engine uses the native mixer with DSP only being used to reduce the latency of plug-ins on track inputs that are being monitored.

TOM@METRO 01-22-2021 11:14 AM

Look at the info and specs for the new Carbon interface. The Hybrid engine is described there.

originalscottyg 01-22-2021 11:17 AM

It's the same concept that they introduced with Carbon, but applied to the HDX infrastructure. It works exactly as Bob described, allowing you to use the native mixer and only use DSP on individual tracks that need low latency or to increase plugin processing power during mix.

I am assuming that it will allow voice packs to be used with HDX, meaning that voices are no longer tied to the number of cards. I am guessing that adding cards will unlock additional voices in Hybrid Mode, but that you will also be able to add voice packs without having to add additional cards.

Where are you reading about it? Have Avid made an announcement at NAMM? Or are you just reading the "Coming Soon" blurb on the product page?

DetroitT 01-22-2021 02:55 PM

Also it seems to have twin drivers. 1 for mac and 1 for Pro Tools exclusive.

My wonder is if you firmware to hybrid can you go back to the HDX mixer firmware?

Will Russell 01-22-2021 03:42 PM

from https://www.avid.com/products/pro-tools-hdx

The Hybrid Engine. Option coming soon to HDX Systems.

The Hybrid Engine maximizes the performance of Pro Tools by using your native CPU and HDX DSP processing at the same time. When you put a track in DSP Mode, the HDX Engine accelerates real-time AAX DSP plugins while your CPU plays back the rest of your mix. And because every AAX DSP plugin has a native counterpart, you can move seamlessly between worlds—just click a button. Record with HDX DSP power for near-zero latency monitoring. And work natively with the same plugins.

DetroitT 01-22-2021 04:23 PM

Just wrapping my head around change. HDX has been the closest to TDM II.

Theoretically...Hybrid Engine should be closer.

Thanks Mr. Russell.

Can’t wait to see and hear.
t

loopzilla2 01-22-2021 06:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the replies.

So we will run the mix engine natively now? I don't like how the native mix engine sounds compared to the HDX mix engine. Or at least I didn't the last time I tested it. Have things changed?

Yeah, I read the Carbon stuff and saw the coming-soon blurb. So there's a button to change a Native plugin to DSP while the rest of whatever plugins use Native - or DSP. But we've always been able to do that. So confused why I should want this? I mean, time will tell for sure.

Maybe it's to offload the mixing chores to the native CPU so the card can just run plugins?

LukeHoward 01-22-2021 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loopzilla2 (Post 2591120)
Thanks for the replies.

So we will run the mix engine natively now? I don't like how the native mix engine sounds compared to the HDX mix engine. Or at least I didn't the last time I tested it. Have things changed?

The mix bus is 64-bit floating point on both. There really should be no difference.

Quote:

Yeah, I read the Carbon stuff and saw the coming-soon blurb. So there's a button to change a Native plugin to DSP while the rest of whatever plugins use Native - or DSP. But we've always been able to do that. So confused why I should want this? I mean, time will tell for sure.

Maybe it's to offload the mixing chores to the native CPU so the card can just run plugins?
I imagine the card will still need to run the mix engine for tracks that are routed through DSP (otherwise it would defeat the point). Running the mix engine on the CPU for non-latency critical tracks will allow Avid to deliver higher voice counts on HDX.

loopzilla2 01-22-2021 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LukeHoward (Post 2591121)
The mix bus is 64-bit floating point on both. There really should be no difference.

Under about 20 tracks there isn't much difference. Mixes null pretty well except for verbs and real-time-generated effects. After 24 tracks (or so) all bets are off.