Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   the MIDI sequencer in Protools!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=60300)

jmoss501 09-25-2001 08:07 AM

the MIDI sequencer in Protools!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Should I use the midi sequencer in Protools 5.1? For some reason it does not make any logical sense to me and I have used them all. The audio portion is great, but the midi sequencer is suspect. Please let me know if I should spend more time trying to learn the midi sequencing portion of Protools LE or should I use another midi sequencing program like Sonar, which I think, is great.

merwin 09-25-2001 08:11 AM

Re: the MIDI sequencer in Protools!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jmoss501,

What seems to be the trouble? I found the sequencer in PT LE extremely easy to use and it more than meets my MIDI needs. If you want to do stuff like style templates and like that, then look elsewhere. What's giving you problems exactly?

merwin http://www.Synthtank.com

jmoss501 09-25-2001 08:23 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by merwin:
jmoss501,

What seems to be the trouble? I found the sequencer in PT LE extremely easy to use and it more than meets my MIDI needs. If you want to do stuff like style templates and like that, then look elsewhere. What's giving you problems exactly?

merwin http://www.Synthtank.com
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have been using cakewalk and sonar for awhile now and I never once picked up the manual but with this sequencer I find my self always reading to figure simple things out about the sequencing functions. I basically just use the regular midi functions, Quantize, loop and basic editing features

Mr_Seven 09-25-2001 08:41 AM

It's a very capable sequencer for the basics. Don't give up. But if you're going to get more complex or want more power then you might look elsewhere.

HeftyLefty 09-25-2001 09:16 AM

Call me crazy, but I really like the midi features of PT LE 5.1.1
I have found that it really does the job for me. In the editor window, the midi is right next to the audio, so I can get an overview of how my midi is going.
The quantize features work quite well. Controllers numbers are easy to assign and draw. Good draw options. I drew this hard panning thing with the zigzag tool in one swipe. I also like the way I can drag around the velocities in the way that the velocities stay varied while they are all increased.
For like audio/groove template stuff, I never liked any other sequencer anyhow, so ReCycle 2.0 has been my weapon of choice.
jmoss501, feel free to ask some specific questions to this post, and I can do my best to help, and share some of my tips and shortcuts.

kcarter 09-25-2001 10:02 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by jmoss501:
I have been using cakewalk and sonar for awhile now and I never once picked up the manual but with this sequencer I find my self always reading to figure simple things out <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That is funny to me, because I had the exact opposite reaction. When I tried to use Cakewalk, I found it to be very non-intuitive, yet after I learned the audio portion of Pro-Tools, the MIDI section seemed to be a breeze to use. What I perhaps miss the most however, is being able to undo Quantize at any point in the future. I used to do that a lot. I'd quantize something and move on. Days later I'd notice a section I didn't like. I could un-quantize just that section, and re-quantize to a different resolution. With PT, once you close your session, the changes are permanent.

Mr_Seven 09-25-2001 06:52 PM

Roy,

Open a session. Maximize either the mixer or edit window. Do a [ALT]+0 (or MIDI>QUANTIZE). What happens?

DV

Roy Howell 09-25-2001 10:01 PM

What happens is, either my Transpose or my Quantize window open, exactly as they should.(Transpose being Alt.+T, which some say causes the same problem).
They are smaller than the Big Window I'm in, which is understandable.
When I'm through, I hit their little X, and they go away.
I've understood what others have said, but I haven't had that problem.
Does yours not respond correctly?

QuikDraw 09-25-2001 10:25 PM

I tried it. I see what happens. It doesn't bother me. I don't work with either window maxed. I size them both so that they almost fill the workspace. I can see just a little piece of whichever window I'm not working in. Lets me switch between mix and edit windows with one effortless click of the mouse. I might be loosing a little display area by not maxing the windows, but the easy switching and lack of MIDI Quantize window sizing problem are well worth it. Acutally, I never even thought about maxing either window until I read this post. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Mike

Virtual 09-25-2001 10:57 PM

I noticed that problem right away since I like to maximize the views. PTLE doesn't behave this way on a MAC. I hope this is something that can be fixed in a newer version.