Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Windows 11 Support for Pro Tools (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=417605)

richardgreen 10-31-2021 05:29 PM

Windows 11 Support for Pro Tools

I am purchasing a new Windows based workstation that has Windows 11 Pro on it. Any ideas if Win 11 is supported yet? Do I need to get the vendor to install Windows 10 instead?

JoelG 11-01-2021 04:37 AM

Re: Windows 11 Support for Pro Tools

Here are the system requirements: https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...m-Requirements

No official Win 11 support yet. That said, I've been running it for a few months now without issue. If you're a home project studio, I'd say give Win 11 a try, if you're earning your living with Pro Tools, then I'd probably sitck with Win 10.

Joel

albee1952 11-01-2021 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richardgreen (Post 2617875)
I am purchasing a new Windows based workstation that has Windows 11 Pro on it. Any ideas if Win 11 is supported yet? Do I need to get the vendor to install Windows 10 instead?

Three things come to mind:
1-it can be dangerous to jump onto anything in its first release(it's likely to have lots of issues to iron out)
2-if you are buying an "off the shelf" PC, that can be a bad option for Pro Tools. I would do one of three things here; buy a PC from a company that builds computers specifically for Pro Tools(like pro-tools-pc.com or sweetwater), build a PC according to known-working specs(for hardware AND software), or go with an Avid-approved PC(like the HP X820/840 line)
3-if you are certain the new PC is PT-compatible, then yes, I would ask the vendor to install Windows 10 Pro. Because of the timing here, you would almost certainly be able to upgrade to Win11 for free when its had some time to get updates to solve the initial bugs(which every OS has)

TOM@METRO 11-01-2021 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoelG (Post 2617895)
Here are the system requirements: https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...m-Requirements

No official Win 11 support yet. That said, I've been running it for a few months now without issue. If you're a home project studio, I'd say give Win 11 a try, if you're earning your living with Pro Tools, then I'd probably sitck with Win 10.

Joel

Good advice, Joel.

EGS 11-01-2021 10:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm curious about 11, but I'll stay with 10 for now. Also, they have not yet pushed it out to me. Here's what they send me:

albee1952 11-02-2021 05:08 PM

I'm all for trying it, but I am also for always having a backup plan(tough to have a backup plan on a fresh PC though). My #2 and #3 points still should be considered:o

EGS 11-14-2021 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2618140)
... tough to have a backup plan on a fresh PC though ...

Why would it be tough?:confused: If I got a fresh PC, one of the first things I'd do is install Macrium Reflect or Acronis (or similar) and take a full boot-drive image. Then, I'd start removing bloatware, adjusting Windows settings, optimizations, etc. Take other boot images as you proceed.

JoelG 11-14-2021 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EGS (Post 2619336)
Why would it be tough?:confused: If I got a fresh PC, one of the first things I'd do is install Macrium Reflect or Acronis (or similar) and take a full boot-drive image. Then, I'd start removing bloatware, adjusting Windows settings, optimizations, etc. Take other boot images as you proceed.

I don't think I would bother with any of that. First thing I do is wipe it and install fresh. It's quicker and less hassle than trying to remove all the bloatware. And you know you don't have any lingering registry entries or files kicking around.

Joel

EGS 11-14-2021 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoelG (Post 2619341)
I don't think I would bother with any of that. First thing I do is wipe it and install fresh. It's quicker and less hassle than trying to remove all the bloatware. And you know you don't have any lingering registry entries or files kicking around.

Joel

Great! Even less bloatware! Windows still installs some, though.

PhilipKapadia 11-14-2021 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2617973)
Three things come to mind:
1-it can be dangerous to jump onto anything in its first release(it's likely to have lots of issues to iron out)
2-if you are buying an "off the shelf" PC, that can be a bad option for Pro Tools. I would do one of three things here; buy a PC from a company that builds computers specifically for Pro Tools(like pro-tools-pc.com or sweetwater), build a PC according to known-working specs(for hardware AND software), or go with an Avid-approved PC(like the HP X820/840 line)
3-if you are certain the new PC is PT-compatible, then yes, I would ask the vendor to install Windows 10 Pro. Because of the timing here, you would almost certainly be able to upgrade to Win11 for free when its had some time to get updates to solve the initial bugs(which every OS has)

Sometimes I find the official avid qualified system list to be snake oil.

I run Media Composer almost daily and a bit of pro tools. Believe me, Media Composer is far more resource heavy and complex than Pro Tools. Avid says that Media Composer/Pro Tools runs better on qualified systems... I have been running a Ryzen/GTX PC build for years and haven't yet faced one issue due to my system configuration.

It's also worth mentioning that Avid cannot test every system in the world, so there are systems out there that perform just as well as qualified ones for a fraction of the cost... just because avid doesn't have the resources to test that particular config.

There can be instances where some components are not compatible with the code MC/PT runs on, so yes I agree... it's worth checking the known-working specs :)