Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Licensing & Accounts (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   Pro Tools Cost Analysis... (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=416733)

Justin1524 08-24-2021 04:14 PM

Pro Tools Cost Analysis...

Let's say I own and have maintained my Pro Tools Ultimate Perpetual License every year since, I dunno, since they started yearly fees. Before that, I just bought for a reasonable fee every time a major new version came out and got bug fixes for free. This sums me up well. Let's say I decide, nope I'm not gonna pay the yearly fee anymore and my license expires. What are my options?

1.) Reinstatement fee? Is there one? Terms? How much?
2.) Re-purchase Pro Tools Ultimate Perpetual for a whopping $2,599.00
3.) Purchase a Carbon interface for a whopping $3,999 and get the software free (limited time?).
4.) Purchase a new Pro Tools Ultimate subscription for $799 for a year and live with the fact that I'll have to renew at $799 per year instead of the $399 renewal Perpetual users get yearly? And worse if my subscription lapses (vs Perpetual) my software stops working? Who wants that?

Given these insane options, as a customer, as a consumer, how am I supposed to decide? I'm not a lawyer but this kind of price discrimination seems potentially illegal to me. Can a case be made that this pricing policy is, in fact, a Robinson-Patman violation?

Does it bother anyone that Adobe's all apps pricing is $52.99 a month, and if you just wanted Photoshop it'd be $9.99 a month whereas Pro Tools Ultimate is $89.99 a month?! For a single program?

Avid, I'm not trying to be an ass here, really I'm not. I understand you're a company in business to make money and raise the stock price - nothing wrong with that. But this pricing, these policies, they defy logic and just need to be changed. Please stop alienating your customers.

BScout 08-24-2021 05:04 PM

Re: Pro Tools Cost Analysis...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin1524 (Post 2611568)
I'm not a lawyer but this kind of price discrimination seems potentially illegal to me.

There is no price discrimination. All legally protected classes are charged the same amount/have the same offerings.
Quote:

Can a case be made that this pricing policy is, in fact, a Robinson-Patman violation?

No. Robinson-Patman is for distributors charging different amounts to different retailers (across state lines.) (A) The pricing is consistent. (B) Consumers are not retailers.

Quote:

Does it bother anyone that Adobe's all apps pricing is $52.99 a month, and if you just wanted Photoshop it'd be $9.99 a month whereas Pro Tools Ultimate is $89.99 a month?! For a single program?

There are other commercial programs that charge a lot more than that for single program.

Avid, you should probable create a "moan zone" forum for posts like these.

EGS 08-25-2021 08:31 AM

I agree that PT is pricey. Options: you can certainly vote with your wallet & switch to another DAW. Or, freeze your rig in time and don't upgrade.

albee1952 08-25-2021 12:42 PM

2 thoughts:
1-do you need Ultimate? Regular is much less money.
2-assuming you make a living at this, its yet another tax write-off.

Bob Olhsson 08-26-2021 12:14 PM

Avid's corporate customers love subscriptions. Subscriptions are 100% tax deductible as is gear rental. Most broadcasters along with big recording and film studios are renting absolutely everything.