Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Error Launching Video Engine (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=421862)

kol12 10-02-2022 01:31 AM

Error Launching Video Engine

Is anyone getting "Error Launching Video Engine - there may be a problem with the installation" since installing the latest update? I tried running Pro Tools with administrator privileges which didn't help.

noiseboyuk 10-02-2022 01:40 AM

Re: Error Launching Video Engine

I had this on my first install of 2022.9. I uninstalled, restarted, re-installed, restarted and then it came back happy.

I never learn. I should ALWAYS install this way - my first attempt was just uninstall / reinstall with no restarts in between, and Pro Tools simply doesn’t like it.

EDIT - I say it came back happy - the video engine is now fine, but Melodyne is not working on stereo files. The fact others don’t have this makes me think it might still be a slightly screwed up install, even though I restart between every step.

kol12 10-02-2022 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noiseboyuk (Post 2648979)
I had this on my first install of 2022.9. I uninstalled, restarted, re-installed, restarted and then it came back happy.

I never learn. I should ALWAYS install this way - my first attempt was just uninstall / reinstall with no restarts in between, and Pro Tools simply doesn’t like it.

EDIT - I say it came back happy - the video engine is now fine, but Melodyne is not working on stereo files. The fact others don’t have this makes me think it might still be a slightly screwed up install, even though I restart between every step.

Interesting. Some folks here have said new versions should install over the top of existing ones without any issues (which is what I had been doing). I personally prefer to uninstall and reinstall new software.

Edit: Not sure why it would only affect a few either but everyone's systems are unique and things can go wrong...

noiseboyuk 10-02-2022 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kol12 (Post 2648981)
Interesting. Some folks here have said new versions should install over the top of existing ones without any issues. I personally prefer to uninstall and reinstall new software.

Again, I think it’s the computer restarts between each step that seem to make a big different with Pro Tools.

I thought that last time I installed I didn’t restart and got away with it so I foolishly tried it one more time. Sometimes you might get away with installing over the top of an existing install, but for me far often than not it’s taken far longer to then have to then redo it all painstakingly because something broke the first time.

The Pro Tools installer (on Windows anyway) is truly awful. It’s normal here to have to wait entire minutes with no sign of activity or even a setup screen before it suddenly lurches into life. And it’s incredibly unreliable. Why with all that fuss it cannot do it its own housekeeping for a tidy and reliable install each time is beyond me.

Napping 10-02-2022 09:24 AM

Just wanted to shout out Guy for sharing his install process! In the middle of a film project I installed 2022.9 and had the same video engine error. Following manz suggestions, uninstall/restart/install/restart, got me back in the game. Very much appreciated!!! 💪

Obsidian Dragon 10-02-2022 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Napping (Post 2649026)
In the middle of a film project I installed 2022.9 ...

In the future, I would avoid doing an update in the middle of a project. There can be a lot of things that go wrong. It is not worth the risk. Updates can wait.

In my case, I try to have two working systems. That way, if one goes down, I have another system to keep working. I just move my ilok to the other system.

mandal 01-20-2023 12:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
:(
...installed 2022.12 - and bang..."Error Launching Video Engine"

I have also tried to...

After uninstalling Avid Pro Tools from Windows Apps & Features > Programs and Features menu and restarting, Avid Video Engine remains installed.
To uninstall Avid Video Engine, select it from the same menu and uninstall it as well.

Uninstalling Pro Tools does not uninstall all components that are installed with Pro Tools (PT-202003)
When you uninstall Pro Tools using the Programs and Features Control Panel, some components that are installed with Pro Tools are not uninstalled
(such as Avid Effects, Avid Application Manager, and Avid Application Manger Helper).

Use the Programs and Features Control Panel to uninstall these components separately.

:confused:
:confused:

But still...

https://duc.avid.com/attachment.php?...1&d=1674222500

Please advice...

sw rec 01-20-2023 07:44 AM

Unless something has changed recently, no, you can’t “install over a previous version” on Windows. You are, or at least have been in the past, prompted to uninstall your existing version first.

mandal 01-20-2023 08:29 AM

From the documentation…

. Close all sessions and Quit Pro Tools.
2. Go to Control panel > select Programs and Features select Avid Video Engine then select Uninstall.

Install the Avid Video Engine from the Pro Tools Utilities.

1. Copy and Paste this to search C:\Program Files\Avid\Pro Tools\Pro Tools Utilities\Avid Video Engine
The Avid Video Engine Install Shield Wizard will popup then proceed to install.

:confused::confused::confused:
I don’t have the Avid Video Engine in that folder…

...the same problem in this thread
https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=421441

685 01-20-2023 11:31 AM

I've had this happen on 2022.12 about 2 weeks ago. I restarted the computer and everything ran fine. Hope you get it going.