Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Protools HDX with I9 Build (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=417534)

Rym 10-27-2021 11:29 PM

Protools HDX with I9 Build

Hi,

i want to swap my system from MacOs to Win. Now i need a little advice to buy the right stuff.

I thought about:

- Mainboard 299x or Z590 with thunderbolt
- I9 Intel 10900K or 11900k
- 32 GB Ram
- M2. 2TB Drive
- GT 1030 Graphic
- Win 10 Pro

what would you recomend ?

Thx for your Help

EGS 10-28-2021 07:14 AM

Re: Protools HDX with I9 Build

You should be golden!:D:D:D 10th or 11th Gen i7 or i9 builds are stable & crazy powerful. Mine (see sig) is solid. Windows 10 will run the last several versions of Pro Tools just fine. I'd use Windows 11 on a new build, though; you'll likely get there eventually anyway. Seems like 11 works with apps & drivers written for 10 - no drama. Check out the last few pages here for more build info & tips: https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=238426 Now, if you want bleeding edge (might as well, right?) see this: https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=417530 Note that AMD makes some great processors too; I just have no personal experience with them.

Rym 10-28-2021 10:35 PM

Great thx a lot. But will it run with hdx?

Best

Stefan

abc1mce2 10-29-2021 02:28 AM

Yes it should run HDX just fine. I have a 10th Gen. i9 10850K with a Gigabyte Z490 Vision D mobo and all is well. When building your system make sure you install Windows and get it running first before you install your HDX card (UAD2). If your using the internal graphics card you should be able to get the BOIS to post (viewable) immediately. When using a GPU card I had to re-seat it a few times before the BOIS would post (I can tell someone what I did if they run into any problems). You need to use a GPU card cause several plugins I use would not open (UI wasn't visible) when I used the internal graphics card so I had to use my GPU (You may or may not run into this problem). The HDX card for my build had to go in the 2nd PCIe slot or it wouldn't work if I remember correctly. I forget what slot my UAD2 card is in. I have my M.2 drive in the first M.2 slot so it's running off my CPU and not taking any of my six SATA lanes. All my UBS3 and USB2 ports are working fine. I'm not using the Thunderbolt 3 ports but I hear they work fine. Once you get everything running smoothly, please clone your system drive with Acronis or Macrium Reflect, Please do this ASAP. This will save you alot of frustration if your system starts acting funny or an Windows update breaks something. You can thank me later.

EGS 10-29-2021 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abc1mce2 (Post 2617432)
Yes it should run HDX just fine. I have a 10th Gen. i9 10850K with a Gigabyte Z490 Vision D mobo and all is well...

Great!

Rym 10-29-2021 10:12 AM

Great thx a lot!!

abc1mce2 01-17-2022 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abc1mce2 (Post 2617432)
Yes it should run HDX just fine. I have a 10th Gen. i9 10850K with a Gigabyte Z490 Vision D mobo and all is well. When building your system make sure you install Windows and get it running first before you install your HDX card (UAD2). If your using the internal graphics card you should be able to get the BOIS to post (viewable) immediately. When using a GPU card I had to re-seat it a few times before the BOIS would post (I can tell someone what I did if they run into any problems). You need to use a GPU card cause several plugins I use would not open (UI wasn't visible) when I used the internal graphics card so I had to use my GPU (You may or may not run into this problem). The HDX card for my build had to go in the 2nd PCIe slot or it wouldn't work if I remember correctly. I forget what slot my UAD2 card is in. I have my M.2 drive in the first M.2 slot so it's running off my CPU and not taking any of my six SATA lanes. All my UBS3 and USB2 ports are working fine. I'm not using the Thunderbolt 3 ports but I hear they work fine. Once you get everything running smoothly, please clone your system drive with Acronis or Macrium Reflect, Please do this ASAP. This will save you alot of frustration if your system starts acting funny or an Windows update breaks something. You can thank me later.

Just an update on my system build. I recently decided to Hackingtosh my mobo to accommodate my PT Carbon purchase (With the blessing of moderator SOUTHSIDEMUSIC). I had no hiccups in the process and very few workarounds for total mobo functionality. One of the 2 ethernet ports doesn't work, (2.5Gigabyte ethernet port) I'm using wifi for internet access, and one of my Pci-e slots acts funky when populated. Other than that I'm a happy camper. MacOS 10.15.7 and PT are working beautifully as a unit and Carbon sounds fantastic. This mobo is golden no matter which OS you decide to use.

dominicperry 01-18-2022 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abc1mce2 (Post 2625666)
Just an update on my system build. I recently decided to Hackingtosh my mobo to accommodate my PT Carbon purchase (With the blessing of moderator SOUTHSIDEMUSIC). I had no hiccups in the process and very few workarounds for total mobo functionality. One of the 2 ethernet ports doesn't work, (10Gigabyte ethernet port) I'm using wifi for internet access, and one of my Pci-e slots acts funky when populated. Other than that I'm a happy camper. MacOS 10.15.7 and PT are working beautifully as a unit and Carbon sounds fantastic. This mobo is golden no matter which OS you decide to use.

I'm sure this post (and probably some more details) would be appreciated in the Carbon forum, as a couple of people were trying to get Hackintoshes going for that.

Dominic

RackAddict 02-23-2022 08:13 PM

Is there any particular reason why i9 is aimed for as opposed to xeon processors in dual? Still better than a gold Xeon dual?

All the specs on the recommended PCs on the system requirements page say use xeons in HP computers. All of the 10 of the computers except the recommended laptop.

And yet most people I see in here are using i9s for their PT ultimate systems.

Computer shop told me i9 will load the software and plug-ins faster but that the xeons will be better overall and renders faster. And they don't even sell xeons so I'm thinking a crazy dual gold Xeon will be whey better?

abc1mce2 02-23-2022 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dominicperry (Post 2625710)
I'm sure this post (and probably some more details) would be appreciated in the Carbon forum, as a couple of people were trying to get Hackintoshes going for that.

Dominic

Done.
https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=416854&page=3