Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Windows (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   *Fixed*3rd party interface/*Broken*Avid Support (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=304711)

crandallwarren 07-21-2011 08:54 PM

*Fixed*3rd party interface/*Broken*Avid Support

The Original Problem
Upon first attempting to use my Roland UA 101 interface with PT9, I would then get this error message:

“You are running out of CPU power. Elastic Audio Processing could not keep up. Please switch Elastic Audio tracks to render mode, disable Elastic Audio processing or remove some RTAS plugins (-9403)"

For the first week that I had PT9 installed, this error was rendering it totally useless.

The Fix

Apparently, this error has something to do with the two versions (dpm or dpm.rsr) of the Elastic Audio plugin that are contained at:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\DigiDesign\DAE\Plug-ins

The error is resolved by simply moving one of the versions of the plug-in (it doesn't seem to matter which) to the 'unused' file.

The Ironic Journey I took to find the solution
After attempting to troubleshoot a variety of settings. I filled out a very detailed tech support form and sent it off to Avid. The support staff wrote back, basically sending me a link to the standard Windows 7 Optimizations.

I took their advice and made all the necessary adjustments. And to my surprise. It worked. I had no idea which adjustment had been the magic fix, but I didn't really care since PT9 was now recording and playing audio through the UA 101 just fine.

But then... I noticed that somewhere in the process I had erased all of the included plugins. So I wrote to support again. And they said, that at the step where the "W7 opts" it advices deleting C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\DigiDesign\DAE\DAE Prefs, I had mistakenly deleted the entire DAE folder.

Support then said that I would need to completely un-install, re-install and re-perform the W7 Opts. And so I did...

But, much to my frustration. After all that, I found myself getting the exact same error message I had started with:

“You are running out of CPU power. Elastic Audio Processing could not keep up. Please switch Elastic Audio tracks to render mode, disable Elastic Audio processing or remove some RTAS plugins (-9403)"

So, I double checked all the W7 Opts. Double checked that I had deleted the correct folder this time. I even un/reinstalled all my drivers for the UA101. But nothing would work. Finally I decided to try deleting the entire DAE folder again... Which worked... But again, I lost all the plug-ins.

So, I finally had a hunch that it was something to do with the plug-ins itself. And by long trial and error, I discovered the above fix of removing one of the versions of the Elastic Audio Plugins.

Now, Here's my frustration
First: It was clear from the beginning that the error had something to do with Elastic Audio. And yet, Avid Support's response included nothing concerning that feature. Furthermore, if there is a conflict between these two file formats... Am I really the first user to experience this? Somehow, I doubt that.

Second: It turns out that none of the advice Avid had given me made any difference to the situation at all. It was only due to the fact that I mistakenly deleted the plug-ins folder, that I happened to stumble upon the solution.

This whole experience has made me feel completely disenchanted with the support from this company (not a great feeling for the second week of using their product). The support staff obviously did not spend any time considering my situation and instead shot back a cookie cutter response with 0% effectiveness.

My only consolation
At least this was my "one free" support form. Because if I had paid for this, I'd be much more pissed off.

cwsand 07-21-2011 09:46 PM

Re: *Fixed*3rd party interface/*Broken*Avid Support

Good job tracking down the problem! I've never really dealt with Avid support on any technical issues, but I've gotten great help from the HOBO's here in the DUC.

TCM 07-22-2011 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crandallwarren (Post 1817590)

Now, Here's my frustration
First: It was clear from the beginning that the error had something to do with Elastic Audio. And yet, Avid Support's response included nothing concerning that feature. Furthermore, if there is a conflict between these two file formats... Am I really the first user to experience this? Somehow, I doubt that.

Second: It turns out that none of the advice Avid had given me made any difference to the situation at all. It was only due to the fact that I mistakenly deleted the plug-ins folder, that I happened to stumble upon the solution.

This whole experience has made me feel completely disenchanted with the support from this company (not a great feeling for the second week of using their product). The support staff obviously did not spend any time considering my situation and instead shot back a cookie cutter response with 0% effectiveness.

My only consolation
At least this was my "one free" support form. Because if I had paid for this, I'd be much more pissed off.

Well, my experiences in the past, about 3 years ago were also quite "disenchanting", but I thought they reorganized their support!?

Although I understand all the reasons of the "difficulties" of the PC-Platform, I still find the support essential for customer retention.
Or they should make their product more "compatible".

On the other hand, support is where companies usually try to save money (that CEOs use to give themselves a pay rise). But this is the wrong way IMHO.

crandallwarren 07-22-2011 01:12 PM

Thanks for your comments everyone. I'm thrilled to finally be starting some projects in PT9. It seems to be working great now!