Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Windows trouble and install (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=142413)

Ricochet 07-21-2005 05:48 AM

Windows trouble and install

Hey wsup everyone, this is Rick. I've only posted a few times on here, so i still feel like a newbie. I noticed that no one as of yet has answered 3 posts posted by 2 different people on getting the blue screen when launching pro tools. I am having the same problem now, except it's a little more serious. I had pro tools working fine and dandy AND THEN.... I uninstalled norton internet security from my pro tools computer because i don't have the internet on that computer. After that, pro tools wouldn't launch, said something about missing driver device or something. I tried reinstalling, installing the interlok thing from pace's website, and restarting my computer. ON top of all that, i tried re-installing windows and starting all over from scratch and i think that did nothing to help either.

My sistem is:
AMD Athlon 64 1.8GHz
Asus A8V Deluxe
1 GB Ram
Windows XP Home w/ SP 2
I'm not sure what video card
Seagate 80GB Barracuda
Seagate 200GB
I guess my first question would be, is there anyway to uninstall windows xp in order to reinstall or reboot without a reboot disk?

My second question is the same as other people about the blue screen. How do we fix that? Please help!

madrock 07-22-2005 02:19 AM

Re: Windows trouble and install

if you want to reinstall windows, you will need to boot from the Windows XP install CD and have your Windows serial number handy.

firstly, you will need to determine the make of your video card. right click My Computer then select Properties. select the Hardware tab then click Device Manager. open the Display Adapters tree to determine the type of video card in the system.

if your system hard drive is SATA, you will need to make a driver disk. instructions on how to do this can be found on the ASUS drivers/utilities CD.

BE SURE YOU HAVE BACKED UP ANYTHING IMPORTANT BEFORE CONTINUING.

next, boot from the Win XP CD (if you have a SATA system drive, hit F5 when prompted to install the drivers from the floppy you made earlier) and when it asks if you want to repair the current installation, hit Esc to continue with a fresh install.

select the current system partiton as the place to install and perform a quick format (NTFS) on the next screen.

after windows installs, you will need to load some drivers from the ASUS CD and the appropriate driver for your video card.

if you are running PTLE 6.4 with XP SP2, you will need to download the 6.4cs9 update from the digi website and the latest PACE Interlok drivers.

with a fresh install of Windows, you should have no problems what so ever with this motherboard.

Ricochet 07-22-2005 06:17 AM

Re: Windows trouble and install

Hey thanks for your reply madrock. I just wanna start over wit my computer before i installed anything. So would i need to erase my hard drives too? If so, how would i completely clean my hard drive to start over? And on a music production tip, do you or anyone you know have experience using the EMU Proteus X for the computer? I'm really thinking about checking it out.