Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   New to PT LE and Post-Production (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=176706)

cherryfields 09-10-2006 02:21 PM

New to PT LE and Post-Production

Hello
Mike here with a few questions regarding ProTools LE. I'm just about to jump from Cubase SX 3 with RME fireface 800 interface dual 800 G4 to some kind of mobile ProTools system for post production.

Question 1.
Will I be able to start learning ProTools LE by using my old Powerbook G4 667, 100gb 7200, 768mb with FW800 discs and Lacie FW800 pcm card or is this good old friend too slow for this task

Question 2
What interface should I buy if my plans is to work with post production? DIGI002 or MBox 2 Pro or ... do I have to go for a HD system

Question 3
Is there any good tutorials / books / DVDs on how to work with ProTools you can recommend

Cheers / MIke

hki 09-10-2006 10:41 PM

Re: New to PT LE and Post-Production

#1 Yes, If you have the money upgrade to G% or Quad
#2 M-Box or 002 will work, if you have the money go HD
#3 Yes, Do a simple google search online....If you have money take some courses

SwirlyD 09-11-2006 02:53 AM

[QUOTE]
Question 1.
Will I be able to start learning ProTools LE by using my old Powerbook G4 667, 100gb 7200, 768mb with FW800 discs and Lacie FW800 pcm card or is this good old friend too slow for this task

You should be able to start learning on it - depending on what OS you're on...at home I have an old 733mHz desktop on 10.3.9 and it runs PT6.9 for simple tasks (i.e. voice editing and music bed) with no problems.

Question 2
What interface should I buy if my plans is to work with post production? DIGI002 or MBox 2 Pro or ... do I have to go for a HD system

It depends on the type of the work you do and your budget... The most important thing in my opinion is your computer speed and RAM...the more powerful your computer, the more you can do with less limitation (don't get a ProMac yet though! - not fully compatible).... for mid-level work, you should be able to get by with an 002 (or Mbox Pro, but I'd wait until the reviews are out), though the converters are not very nice (we added an Apogee to compensate). A problem with the LE system is latency (whilst overdubbing or recording a voice), and so having a speedy computer helps when you set your buffer back to 128 or 64 to avoid latency for a voice-over, for example. You also have less tracks, no time code function and no OMF import function with LE, which can be compensated by adding on a DV Tookit. An HD system has less compromise, but costs quite a lot more, especially if you want to use Waves TDM plugins as well...So unless you have a lot of money to spend, I would say start with the 002 or Mbox Pro system (with DV tookit) and think about upgrading to HD later, depending on the work you're doing and whether the limitations of LE drive you insane.

Question 3
Is there any good tutorials / books / DVDs on how to work with ProTools you can recommend

"Pro Tools for Video, film and multimedia" by Ashely Shepherd is quite handy for beginners, though a bit out-of-date now that PT 7 is out.

cherryfields 09-11-2006 06:23 AM

Hi SwirlyD
Thanx a lot for the tips and info. I just borrowed my friend's MBox package and there was no big problems to play the included demo session on my powerbook so I guess I will use this for a few weeks and wait for some reviews on the MBox Pro or even better hope there will be a new DIGI003 :-)

Do you know anything about this lessons "Pro Tools 101 Official Courseware"

Thanx again / Mike

Charles D. Ballard 09-11-2006 08:22 AM

One thing to remember when doing post with LE is that LE won’t do pull-down sample rates. (At least not that I remember.) This won’t always be a problem, but if you’re going to hang a sign out the door saying you do post-production audio you really should be able to do pull-down. If you can’t get a HD system you may be better off getting a used Mix system.

Starcrash 09-11-2006 11:59 AM

Quote:

One thing to remember when doing post with LE is that LE won’t do pull-down sample rates.

You can pull up/down with DV Toolkit 1 and 2.

With so many smaller-budget films being shot digitally these days, I'm finding that we're pulling less often these days. Even the large-budget feature that I'm working on right now was shot digitally and so we're working at 23.976 with no pull.

steppenwolf68 09-11-2006 02:56 PM

How do you LE post guys deal with the fact that the 002 has neither word clock nor video reference.
I mean how can you be sure that your stuff isn't driftng ?

cherryfields 09-11-2006 03:35 PM

Hello Folks
I think you're right about the DV kit BUT the world clock thing seems to be the big problem. It's pretty strange that the Digi002 doesn't have that option but I guess it's a bit too old and I bet the new one will have all that missing stuff (of I hope)

I'm not really in a hurry right now but it seems to me like I have to get my hands on a HD system sooner or later then I don't have to bother about the plugin latency as well (i'm I right)

Well One thing's for sure I shouldn't have swopped my old DIGI001 for a MOTO828 with cubase SX :-(

cheers / Mike

kkfaudio 09-11-2006 03:40 PM

Quote:

How do you LE post guys deal with the fact that the 002 has neither word clock nor video reference.
I mean how can you be sure that your stuff isn't driftng ?

Personally, I work with QT and deliver files back to the Avid for layback..

The odd time I have to do a layback myself, I just watch REALLY closely - but I try to avoid it whenever possible.

Kevin

johnnyreno 09-11-2006 04:36 PM

You can clock the 002 thru the SPDIF input using a box like the Motu Digital Timepiece. Don't know about the Mbox. John.