Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Audio Fire Wire Drive Sometimes Will Not Mount (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=95445)

Mick F. Cantarella 01-26-2004 05:28 PM

Audio Fire Wire Drive Sometimes Will Not Mount

Intermittently my external audio fire wire drives will not mount when I start up my rig. It is totally random and unpredictable. When they don't mount, I restart my rig 2, 3 or 4 times until they do. At some point they will mount, but it can be embarrassing in front of clients to go through this song and dance. I have tried swapping cables, FW ports, etc. This happens with just about any brand of drive, but I mostly use a combination of a Digi 80 and OWC Mercury Elite drive. All my drives were formatted in OS 9.2.2 (erase disk…).

Thanks a bunch, -Mick
Mac 933 / 750 RAM / OS 9.2.2 / HD3 / two 192’s / PT v.5.3.1r2

tripit 01-27-2004 09:20 AM

Re: Audio Fire Wire Drive Sometimes Will Not Mount

MIne does the same thing. A faster work around is to turn the firewire drives off for a second and then back on. This will get them to mount. Usually the drives need to be turned on after the computer is booted up. If you have them all on the same power source and the drives get going before the computer boots, it won't see them. At least that's my experience with the OWC drives.

slangification 01-27-2004 12:25 PM

Run Disk Warrior on the drives.

Lee Blaske 01-27-2004 07:09 PM

Do you have your Oxford 911 Bridge boards flashed with the latest firmware?

Lee Blaske

Mick F. Cantarella 02-04-2004 06:42 PM

Update. I suspect the problem is with my G4 933, not the external drives. I just bought 2 new OWC FW drives and they would not mount on my G4 933. I took them home and tonight they mounted just fine on my G4 450. Both G4s use OS 9.2.2. Any ideas? Thanks, -Mick

Mick F. Cantarella 06-28-2004 06:55 PM

Bounce. This is still a problem. any ideas? Thanks a bunch, -Mick

Mark Wheaton 06-28-2004 07:01 PM

I downloaded the FW 911 flash files and there is a GUI App, but no detailed info on which of the many files are supposed to be loaded and operated. Is there any info for us simple people on how to operate the 911 flash utility

Lee Blaske 06-29-2004 08:48 AM

Quote:

Bounce. This is still a problem. any ideas? Thanks a bunch, -Mick

It could be a hardware problem on the 933's motherboard, and the only way to fix that is with a board swap (or a new computer). A component, plug or connection could be intermittent. Alternately, you might try a FireWire PCI card if you have an open slot, but it might cause -6042 problems.

Lee Blaske

tripit 06-29-2004 11:08 AM

I have a 933 and the same problem with my OWC firewire. I just turn the drive off and on again and that does it everytime. I've gotten so use to doing this that I don't even think about it anymore. It's not the OWC drive, because I have several and they all work fine on my laptop. I think the problem for the 933 is when the drive spins up before the computer finishes booting.

Mick F. Cantarella 07-06-2004 09:43 PM

It seems a bad FireWire cable was the culprit. Since I've 86ed it, all my external drives have mounted magnificently. Thanks a bunch, -Mick