Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Third Party Interfaces (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   PreSonus Firestudio Mobile and Edirol UA-101 (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=417523)

kw88keys 10-27-2021 06:56 AM

PreSonus Firestudio Mobile and Edirol UA-101

Just wondering if anyone has experience using either or both of the above units solely as preamps going into another DAW interface. Thanks. Kent

albee1952 10-27-2021 07:46 AM

Re: PreSonus Firestudio Mobile and Edirol UA-101

Trying to use an interface as a preamp to another interface is not a great idea.
Many times, it just doesn't work(unless the unit in question has a MIX knob). What inputs are available on the interface? Using a preamp designed for this purpose is much easier(depending on available connections):o

kw88keys 10-27-2021 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2617103)
Trying to use an interface as a preamp to another interface is not a great idea.
Many times, it just doesn't work(unless the unit in question has a MIX knob). What inputs are available on the interface? Using a preamp designed for this purpose is much easier(depending on available connections):o

Thanks much for the response. Going into an 002 Rack (yes, I should get a newer better model). I do have some other preamps but thought these might have a good sound and they are just laying around.

EGS 10-27-2021 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2617103)

+1.

I'd eBay all that stuff & get something new. LOTS of great, affordable audio I/Os to choose from these days.

albee1952 10-27-2021 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kw88keys (Post 2617108)
Thanks much for the response. Going into an 002 Rack (yes, I should get a newer better model). I do have some other preamps but thought these might have a good sound and they are just laying around.

Hmmm, I would put both those devices in the same category as the 002. Serviceable, but unremarkable:o

kw88keys 10-27-2021 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EGS (Post 2617177)
+1.

I'd eBay all that stuff & get something new. LOTS of great, affordable audio I/Os to choose from these days.

Good advice I think :-)
Kent

albee1952 10-30-2021 04:21 PM

I'll give you an example of why I made the recommendation:
I had a client(who has his own PT setup with a 002 at home) that was in working on a new project(I have drums, keys and a dozen guitars he lacks). He did all his electric guitars thru his Kemper Profiler, which I patched thru a pair of Chameleon Labs 581 preamps(modestly priced Neve 1081 clones). After 2 days of tracking, he took the files home to edit and mix. At the last minute, he decided he needed another couple of guitar parts and tried to record them at home. He was unable to get the same quality that he got at my place(so he had to come back for another half day). You would think that the Kemper would bypass all that, but you would be mistaken:o Every studio needs at least 1 "money channel"(and a matching pair is an even better idea).;)

kw88keys 10-31-2021 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2617722)
I'll give you an example of why I made the recommendation:
I had a client(who has his own PT setup with a 002 at home) that was in working on a new project(I have drums, keys and a dozen guitars he lacks). He did all his electric guitars thru his Kemper Profiler, which I patched thru a pair of Chameleon Labs 581 preamps(modestly priced Neve 1081 clones). After 2 days of tracking, he took the files home to edit and mix. At the last minute, he decided he needed another couple of guitar parts and tried to record them at home. He was unable to get the same quality that he got at my place(so he had to come back for another half day). You would think that the Kemper would bypass all that, but you would be mistaken:o Every studio needs at least 1 "money channel"(and a matching pair is an even better idea).;)

Yep. time to move on and up. I have this arriving this week: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd Gen USB Audio Interface