Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Tips & Tricks (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Can You Print the Pro Tools Screen? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=9594)

dBHEAD 01-16-2003 09:01 AM

Can You Print the Pro Tools Screen?

I'm teaching an adjunct course in audio and we work with three different Pro Tools systems: TDM, 001 and Free. I'm writing step-by-step instructions for various assignments and I'm wondering if there is a way to print the Pro Tools screen -- especially if there is a way to copy and paste segments of the screen. I've been told that any screen on the Mac can be printed, but I don't know how. Do any of you?

rollo 01-16-2003 09:21 AM

Re: Can You Print the Pro Tools Screen?

Yeah, it's really easy.

On the screen you want to print press-<shift><Apple><3>

This will take a photo of the screen or a screen shot.

next find the photo, probably on the root level of your Internal hard drive, open it and print.

If you want you could open the screen shots in a graphics program and edit them.

Good Luck

dBHEAD 01-16-2003 09:26 AM

Thanks Rollo! I tried what you suggested and it worked. I'll probably select parts of the screen in Photoshop. This will help the students quite a bit! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Avid 01-16-2003 09:34 AM

Capture the whole screen:
Command+Shift+3

Create "cross-hairs" that allow you to select/crop just the area that you want:
Command+Shift+4

Capture just the open window where you click your mouse:
Command+Shift+Caps-Lock+4
(useful for capturing a plug-in window or error message)

These are all in the Apple Help Center, search for Keyboard Shortcuts, titled "Taking pictures of your screen".

All of these place the graphics file on your root level of your startup drive, named "Picture 1", etc.

This graphics file opens in Simpletext. If you want to edit it in a graphics program, or on a PC, you can rename it adding the extension .pct since it is actually a PICT format graphics file.

Kev 01-16-2003 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Digidesign:
Create "cross-hairs" that allow you to select/crop just the area that you want:
Command+Shift+4

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I don't know if I ever knew that one !

Strange, as I'm sure I have used this one,
<Command>+<Shift>+<Caps-Lock>+<4>.

It's like CPM and DOS commands. If you don't use them .. you will forget them.

I'm sure we could write a book on all the things we have forgotten ..... if only we could remember them ???
[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

s2n 01-17-2003 02:15 AM

Command+control+shift+3
- save screenshot to Finder Clipboard

Command+control+shift+4
- save selective screenshot to Finder Clipboard

Command+control+shift+capslock+3
- save screenshot of window to Finder Clipboard

Once the screenshot is in the Clipboard, you can then select "Print Window..." from the File Menu from the desktop/Finder.

Casbah 01-17-2003 10:02 AM

Very cool s2n!

Ben Jenssen 01-23-2003 02:52 PM

S2n:
It doesnt go to the clipboard, it’s like digi said:
Quote:

Originally posted by Digidesign:
All of these place the graphics file on your root level of your startup drive, named "Picture 1", etc.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

Avid 01-23-2003 03:07 PM

We're both right. If you add the Control key to the key options that I mentioned, it places it on the Clipboard, as s2n mentioned.
Try it, then in the Finder, choose Edit/Show Clipboard.

One of the things I've used in the past is to select a portion of a Pict file or other graphics file, choose Copy, then Open Photoshop, choose New Document. The size of the new document will automatically be the same as whatever is on your clipboard. That's one way to use contents on the clipboard.