Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Too Many Tracks (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=415589)

tchmura 06-01-2021 05:51 PM

Too Many Tracks

At roughly 120 tracks, it looks like I've reached the limit. I get an error message: "Too many Tracks entered for the current Pro Tools configuration. The maximum value will be substituted."

Is there any way around this?

Philthy 06-01-2021 07:20 PM

Re: Too Many Tracks

Yeah
Upgrade to ultimate,
or print submixes

I started on 4 tracks :D

Sardi 06-01-2021 09:09 PM

What are you doing that requires 120 tracks? IOW - do you need 120 simultaneous tracks? If not, make the ones you don’t need inactive.

I frequently see dozens of muted tracks in sessions and when I query it, I get told they’re alt takes or tracks that didn’t make the cut. Make them inactive and free up resources.

Unless you’re working in post or scoring, 120 tracks is a lot of channels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reml@P 06-02-2021 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sardi (Post 2603356)
IOW do you need 120 simultaneous tracks? If not, make the ones you don’t need inactive

Pretty sure that the current version of Pro Tools tops out at 128 mono tracks whether they are active or not. In the past making tracks inactive was a way around this but not anymore.

Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

Sardi 06-02-2021 04:33 AM

Of course. I was saying 120 as that’s what the OP mentioned.

But you can still free up resources by making them inactive. If you have 130 tracks, 2 won’t play. If you make another 2 inactive, they will.

Reml@P 06-02-2021 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sardi (Post 2603370)
But you can still free up resources by making them inactive. If you have 130 tracks, 2 won’t play. If you make another 2 inactive, they will.

Yeah you’re not hearing what I’m saying. In the latest version of PT vanilla it’s 128 tracks maximum. Doesn’t matter whether half of those are inactive or not. You can’t add anymore than 128.

At least that’s how it was last time I did a post session.

JFreak 06-02-2021 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sardi (Post 2603356)
when I query it, I get told they’re alt takes or tracks that didn’t make the cut. Make them inactive and free up resources

^^ this.

Alternative takes should be taken on playlist on same track.

lesbrunn 06-02-2021 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tchmura (Post 2603343)
At roughly 120 tracks, it looks like I've reached the limit. I get an error message: "Too many Tracks entered for the current Pro Tools configuration. The maximum value will be substituted."

Is there any way around this?

I usually have stacks of 6 or 8 background vocals per part. What I do after comping/tuning is to bounce each part down to stereo. That way I end up with 3 stereo tracks instead of 24 mono. I do the same with keyboard stacks and any other instruments that would benefit from that and make my life easier while mixing.

Sardi 06-02-2021 04:30 PM

Too Many Tracks

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reml@P (Post 2603373)
Yeah you’re not hearing what I’m saying. In the latest version of PT vanilla it’s 128 tracks maximum. Doesn’t matter whether half of those are inactive or not. You can’t add anymore than 128.

At least that’s how it was last time I did a post session.

Rudeness aside, I stand corrected.

I just tried and you’re right, you can not add anymore than 128 tracks regardless of whether you make some inactive. It physically won’t allow you to add any audio tracks after you have 128 in your session.

Does anyone know when this behaviour changed? Is it documented anywhere? This was definitely not the case in the past. Is it a bug or a new implementation? If the latter, why?

BScout 06-02-2021 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sardi (Post 2603419)
s it documented anywhere?

Key Features
https://www.avid.com/pro-tools/comparison

First line

(note the limits for all types of tracks listed in this comparison)