Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Let's hear your latest stuff....right here (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=60365)

jon sutton 05-07-2002 06:57 AM

Re: Let\'s hear your latest stuff....right here

Quote:

Originally posted by Digidesign:
But at least you got to wear some really cool threads. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">lemme guess, the guy with the hat is the keyboard player. 8)

jon sutton 05-07-2002 03:27 PM

man, i thought for sure mr. hat dude was the keyboard player. usually the keyboard player (in the 80's) looked like he just got smuggled out of a chess convention.

as for the new picture, are you sure the photographer wasn't the one using acid?

all kidding aside roy, you seem like a cool guy who has had a fun ride so far. kudos, my friend!

Aussie169 05-07-2002 04:13 PM

I know where you are coming from Vouts. The keyboard player I jam with has a hat too. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Mark

Roy Howell 05-07-2002 04:48 PM

I tell you, those old Jaguar pictures are freaking embarrassing... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Aussie169 05-07-2002 05:08 PM

I think we all have some of those Roy [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Lawrence Arps 05-07-2002 06:27 PM

we could put together a new coffee table book
"THE WORST BAND PHOTOS EVER TAKEN"

jon sutton 05-08-2002 09:47 PM

thats funny, a friend sent me a link to a page displaying hundreds of horrible band photos. it was pretty funny.

i also never realized how many bands shoot band photos in front of brick walls.

Roy Howell 05-09-2002 03:10 PM

This is a work in progress, definitely not finished, but interesting enough to post for now. I'm adding guitars now...

~Roy

(I deleted this mix since doing a better one a few post up from here... it's called 'Mandolin Summer')

Aussie169 05-10-2002 06:54 AM

Sounding great Roy. Nice and clean.

What hardware are you using? I'm assuming there's a lot of midi/samples/loops going on in there.

I'm looking to get into that side of things myself soon. Any suggestions on lower priced gear to begin with?

Mark

Roy Howell 05-11-2002 12:06 AM

Mark,
The only Midi thing in it right now is the bass(Korg 01R/W sound module), which I'm not sold on yet. I'll probably mix a slap bass with a fretless to make one sound that I'm happy with on that.
But, for drums and percussion these days, I'm using samples I've collected, mostly one-hit samples played by real percussionists. I've become proficient at editing them quickly the way I would want a drummer to play it.
Then other than me on mandolin (such a magical little thing, isn't it?), what's chugging along in the background that SOUNDS like a keyboard, are really samples I've created with my Strat. I'm proud of them, because they sound good even stand-alone. So, used wisely in the background, they can really enhance a piece.
If you decide to explore using the one-hit percussion samples (kick, snare, hats, cyms, rides, etc.), I'll be glad to send you some of the best I've found.
I think this song is GONNA be good, but I'm not there yet.

~Roy