Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Let's hear your latest stuff....right here (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=60365)

Mark_Knecht 11-08-2001 03:47 PM

Re: Let\'s hear your latest stuff....right here

Last,
Great tunes, as I said earlier.

Stick around, OK? ;-)

Mark

Mr_Seven 11-08-2001 10:31 PM

Just finished listening to "This Life". Thanks Peter. Your talent is amazing! Truly amazing. The mix is so defined, and moving. Without clutter yet rich with sound. Another I'll add to my portable MP3 playlist.

Roy Howell 11-09-2001 01:35 AM

Peter,

Just fantastic... I am so glad that 'This Life' is as good as 'Over and Over'.

The great actor James Earl Jones once said of Marlon Brando, "I can learn from that..."
And that's how I feel about your incredible production quality. It's not so much the song, as in how you've treated it, with such finesse. Just great, great......

Keep 'em coming ....... Roy

Canteenboy 11-09-2001 02:12 AM

Mark & Last(Peter)-

Thanks for the nice words. I appreciate the tips.

Last-
I just had a chance to listen to these two tunes, and I must say, I have some mixed feelings. I can't decide if I should be excited at the possibilities in my future of music making as I learn more about recording, or if I should just reformat my audio drive and hang up the towel. Your recordings are just soooooooo perfect. I am really speechless. Wow. You have raised the bar for all of us, and in time, I'm sure I will thank you for it. For now, I'll just grit my teeth and say, Great Job...damn Great Job.

Voutsonios 11-09-2001 09:22 AM

Last,

Thnx for the great songs - its so nice to hear this great music - "Over and over" is still my favourite but "this life" is fantastic [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
I travel a lot and i make tapes for my walkman - "over and over" got in to one of my tapes and while am writting this msg am adding "this life" [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I have a question if you dont mind! can you pls let me know how you recorded the stings on the begining of "this life" ?? is it a cello??

as Roy said " keep them coming "

Vouts!!
Greece

Last 11-09-2001 09:49 AM

Yes its a chello,and a violin,with some midi strings,all double tarckced a lot.I find when doing midistrings its best to use layers and layers of different sounds and play each of them in manualy,thus giving the big string effect,and,if possible,mix some real strings into it.This intro was cut out from one of the choruses,cause I wasnt happy with the songs original intro(guitar),which caused the strings to make the song back heavy.I cut it out and did some dubious fade ins and outs to make it work.Although the stings in its original form represents 50%violins,25% violas,and 25% chellos,I like highlighting different layers of it in different parts of the song.This gives the strings more life and more realism.When you listen to an orchestra,they sound different from moment to moment as the room changes,you move your head and the 1st violinist's period starts.This is a big reason for one midi patch not being able to crack it.The artifacts you hear in the mp3 version(slight flanging) isnt meant to be there.It isnt audible on the wav.file,but its still there,it was created because the vocalist decided at the last moment that the song ought to be 2 semitones lower,after everything had been turned to audio and the strings mixed.So the whole song was pitch shifted track by track.Two weeks later she came in the studio and said she is considering asking for the song to be raised a semitone.What happened after that got me fired of the project,about which I am very happy.

Voutsonios 11-09-2001 11:11 AM

Last
Ithought it might be something like that
i tried doing the ssame thing in a song that i had but the cello didnt work very well with the midi sound - it was my first attempt though
i ll to try it again now that i know that you can get so good results

thnx for the Info i really appreciate it
Vouts
Greece

Roy Howell 11-09-2001 01:01 PM

Peter,

Interesting... One question, what did you use for the light, in-pitch, conga-type percussive sound? I think it's at the beginning of a verse. (going from memory).....

You can EMail me if you prefer, and thanks,

Roy

Last 11-09-2001 02:47 PM

The instrument itself is some mid african drum that I just cant remeber the name of lol.What I can remember tis that it is some distant relative of the tabla.A friend of mine(a producer)gave me a couple of loops of a session he recorded of an african drummer once a while ago,using this instrument.I cut samples out of this and assembled my own loop.It was one of the things I didnt pitch shift,because,even though it has a pitch to the ring,it still seemed in the envelope of the shifted song,so I left it alone.Sorry I cant be of more help.There is a regular tabla loop in there too,but I ninja mixed that so you'll only hear it if its gone.

Roy Howell 11-12-2001 11:13 PM

BigRedButton(Jackson Jackson),

I finally got a chance to listen, and I am VERY impressed. Really good songs(and vocals), every one of them. Keep up the great work, and thanks for letting us listen......

Roy