Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Mbox 2 and 2012 Macbook Pro Retina with Mountain Lion (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=327114)

shawnf25 08-23-2012 05:25 AM

Mbox 2 and 2012 Macbook Pro Retina with Mountain Lion

I recently purchased my 2012 retina Macbook pro 15", hooked up my Mbox 2 to my retina with pro tools 10 and the mbox 2 core9 driver. and whenever I use it as an output in the sound prefs; I hear the sound chop in and out. The only way this is resolved is by removing USB switching output back to internal speakers and then reconnecting and changing the sound pref. I have tried to use pro tools 8.0.5, as well as uninstalling Pro Tools 10 and just using the standalone CoreAudio 9 driver, but the same thing occurs. I also have a 003 and was wondering if any of you have tried that setup? Any help would greatly be appreciated!

lancemcv 08-23-2012 12:43 PM

Re: Mbox 2 and 2012 Macbook Pro Retina with Mountain Lion

I heard that you need to use a powered usb 2 hub to get the mbox2 to work with the new macbook pros usb3 ports. there is info on the threads about it somewhere.

shawnf25 08-23-2012 02:39 PM

Thank You!! Works great!

Nozipho 08-26-2012 04:23 PM

Glad that worked for you Shawn. Just for anyone else out there that reads this, I have a brand new MacBook Pro (although it isn't the Retina display version) and it is able to run my Mbox 2 through the USB 3 ports without any issues. It sounds like if you do end up having the same problem as Shawn the powered USB 2 hub is the solution though.

hellojoshgraham 11-04-2013 03:44 PM

Hi ladies and gents,

I have used a USB hub in my home recording setup out of necessity of port space, however came across this problem when I brought my setup into a live stage setting.

A USB hub is not a feasible solution in a performance workspace. there's already too many guitar leads on stage without having to lug an audio interface and a slew of usb cables and a hub. I'm sure everybody who uses a laptop in a live setting would agree.

anyone know any patches that would perform this operation of giving the usb outputs more power/making them straight usb2 compatible?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to look in to this! much appreciated.

- Josh G

RegenerationMix 11-05-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellojoshgraham (Post 2099143)
A USB hub is not a feasible solution in a performance workspace. there's already too many guitar leads on stage without having to lug an audio interface and a slew of usb cables and a hub. I'm sure everybody who uses a laptop in a live setting would agree.

- Josh G

completely dont agree. you think lugging a usb hub and an interface is bringing alot because the guitars bring some cables? lol. Have you clubbed much?

when i was a guitarist, i lugged 6 guitars, two stacks and a wireless rack of effects. When i was guitarist/keyboardist, i lugged two guitars, one amp, one rack with Adat, mixer, headphone mixer, and one keyboard.

Everything you need can be made small, portable and compact. Especially a laptop and interface with a few USB hubs. My USB hub 1 inch by 3 inches and holds 4 slots. Cant imagine any tiny club scenario where you couldnt bring a laptop with USB hubs and interface. Thats all smaller than one keyboard.

Chris