Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Tips & Tricks (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   tips on creating a region in protools (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=421025)

mgw783 07-22-2022 05:28 PM

tips on creating a region in protools

the answer to this is probably buried somewhere, but when i create a region on a track, to quickly add text to a region, is there a shortcut key rather than double clicking the region, it would be optimal to just hit enter, especially when your trying to cue on a time crunch. :-) .. srry,, new guy.. thanks..

smurfyou 07-23-2022 08:28 AM

Re: tips on creating a region in protools

On a Mac it is SHIFT-OPT-CMD-R.

Not the easiest shortcut. I created an alternate with Keyboard Maestro to create the clip group and rename in one go. Or if you're on PT 2022 you could reassign the shortcut.

albee1952 07-23-2022 05:11 PM

This is a very confusing post on several levels:
#1- A "region" is an old term(from PT 10 and older) for an audio file or midi file. We now call them "clips".
#2-Usually, you don't create a clip, you record a clip, be it audio or midi.
#3-I'm guessing you are trying to name the clip(region)? Unlike smurfyou, I didn't know there was a shortcut(I just double-click on the clip). Having said that, are you naming your tracks BEFORE you record? This is a very good habit to learn. Naming the track will impart the track name onto the clips(with numbers once there are multiple clips or takes on any track).

If none of this is helping, come back with a clearer explanation of what you want to do:o

BTW, given the key command that smurfyou posted, it looks like the 3 modifier keys+R, so on Windows, it SHOULD be Ctrl+Windows+Alt+R. For me, since I have one hand on the mouse most of the time, the double-click feels faster, but not everyone works the same:D

smurfyou 07-24-2022 07:09 AM

I was trying to infer since OP was cueing something they were creating empty clip groups. Make an empty selection, hit OPT-CMD-G and you get an empty clip that uses no disk space and can be used for cues or notes and edited like any other clip.

zoff 07-24-2022 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smurfyou (Post 2642679)
I was trying to infer since OP was cueing something they were creating empty clip groups. Make an empty selection, hit OPT-CMD-G and you get an empty clip that uses no disk space and can be used for cues or notes and edited like any other clip.

Never thought of that. Thanks for the tip.

albee1952 07-24-2022 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smurfyou (Post 2642679)

Hmmm, this raises more questions for me;
1-are you sure this blank clip uses no disk space?
2-can you give me a reason why you would do this?

Still learning:D

smurfyou 07-24-2022 06:11 PM

Yes since it is a clip group it contains no media, it just exists as an empty clip.

It's common in film post. For cueing ADR and Foley. It solves many of the limitations of markers. They can easily be edited, trimmed, sorted by track, exported in an EDL....

mgw783 07-26-2022 11:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
yes the region, I need to add text box to popup without double clicking on it.

Attachment 16155

nednednerb 07-28-2022 08:33 PM

Edit your keyboard shortcuts.

Or as the person above said, it is already all three modifier keys plus R

You seem to have missed the answer and restated your question plainly.

Chevron 09-20-2022 02:22 AM

A quick way to also add a clip/region is to use the key command OPT-SHIFT-3, which creates a blank audio clip or a blank MIDI region.

Add CTRL to the command CTRL-OPT-SHIFT-3, and this creates an audio clip with a 1Khz sine wave ;)

Nice one on the OPT-CMD-G to create a group, I thought this would just be for existing clips but handy to know you can use it in a blank space....