Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   MADI box recommendation please (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=283834)

1m1 10-10-2010 01:37 PM

MADI box recommendation please

I didn't get any replies in the TDM forum so I thought I'd try my luck here with this question...

I'm looking at getting an interface to connect to a Euphonix console and am wondering which way to go—Avid's new MADI box or the SSL XLogic Delta Link. Anyone have any experience with this and a recommendation?

Thanks

BradLyons 10-10-2010 02:26 PM

Re: MADI box recommendation please

There are pros and cons to each, the biggest point is that with the AVID box you have full AVID support where with a non-AVID box----well you're up the creek if there is an issue. In other words, AVID will not support you. The SSL box is a great solution for less money (off the top of my head here) and well, their stuff has always proven to be wonderful for the money!

clint bennett 10-10-2010 04:38 PM

I'm pretty sure the Avid MADI box also does real time SRC (which for some is a really big benefit), whereas the SSL does not.

BradLyons 10-10-2010 05:08 PM

Correct, Clint.

1m1 10-11-2010 12:17 AM

Thanks for the info guys.

MIKEROPHONICS 10-11-2010 02:27 AM

I know one place with the SSL box and it gets it's knickers in a twist going into their AmS/NEVE Digital desks occasionally.
If you get the avid box - it's far easier to jump up and down and have a tantrum if it doesn't work - rather than get the "not supported" shrug

Cheers

budster 10-12-2010 07:59 AM

We have had an SSL Delta Link for 3 years now with a System 5 console. For the most part, it had been great. Pull ups and pull downs can some times be a bit dicey however.

Buddy

Doug the Brit 10-12-2010 11:05 AM

The Digi unit is nicely thought out.

Unfortunately there is an issue in v8.xx software that prevents me from deploying the units as I had hoped. They are sitting in a stack outside my office.:mad:

-Doug

1m1 10-12-2010 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug the Brit (Post 1680578)
The Digi unit is nicely thought out.

Unfortunately there is an issue in v8.xx software that prevents me from deploying the units as I had hoped. They are sitting in a stack outside my office.:mad:

-Doug

Do you mind describing the issue? And you are using 8.1cs1? Thanks

Doug the Brit 10-12-2010 12:00 PM

There are two issues...

1. A bug that relates to overlapping disabled outputs that kills a workflow between editorial and mix stage.

2. Slow lock times under P2 control when recording to fibre channel storage. Local storage is fine.

The propblems exist with all flavors of v8.xx that we have tried.

-Doug