Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Getting Started (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Beginner questions (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=415365)

maksimvergan 05-13-2021 05:41 AM

Beginner questions

Hi! I am sorry for asking questions that may very well have been answered before but there are some things I can't figure out by myself.

I am an experienced user of different DAW applications and I have been using Reaper extensively for the past few years. However, I've been lately introduced to Pro Tools at my job and I have a couple of questions regarding a few differences between them - mostly about the behaviour of Pro Tools. And I'm sorry to use the phrase "like in Reaper" so much ;)

1. Crossfade between clips - If I overlap 2 clips I need to tap a key to make them crossfade. WHY? Is there an option to auto crossfade the clips?
2. While on the subject of crossfading, is there an option to edit the crossfade in a layered mode like in Reaper? Like having one clip on the top and one on the bottom.
3. Waveform recording / play size - When I record something, the waveform shows normally. When I stop the recording, the waveform get smaller but the playback is at the exact same volume. Is there any specific reason for this behaviour? Is is possible to show the same waveform as when recording (or playing - as long as they look the same)?
4. New track default settings - I'd like to create a track with default settings, like input and output, monitoring while recording etc. I have managed to create a track preset. Is this the only way or is there another?
5. Cursor following recording / play - I've found this one under options -> window scrolling but sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Do I need to have my mouse focused at something, a clip maybe?
6. Zoom in/out ratio - The ratio between the different zoom settings is too big. I would like to have a smaller ratio.
7. Link Faders - I would like to select a bunch of channels so that if I change a setting it changes to all of them simultaneously. Like in Reaper, if I select a channel and move the fader (or pan), the fader (or pan) moves on each selected channel.
8. Deselect channel - It seems that when I select a channel it becomes white but I can't deselect it/them

That's it for now. Thanks for all the responses!

albee1952 05-13-2021 07:43 AM

Re: Beginner questions

I'll try to answer what I can:
1. Crossfade between clips - If I overlap 2 clips I need to tap a key to make them crossfade. WHY? Is there an option to auto crossfade the clips? Different people like to work different ways. I want to control any cross-fades. Using the "smart tool" makes that pretty darn quick and easy(watch some youtube tutorials on using the smart tool)
2. While on the subject of crossfading, is there an option to edit the crossfade in a layered mode like in Reaper? Like having one clip on the top and one on the bottom.Pretty sure there is an option or preference to show overlapped clips
3. Waveform recording / play size - When I record something, the waveform shows normally. When I stop the recording, the waveform get smaller but the playback is at the exact same volume. Is there any specific reason for this behaviour? Is is possible to show the same waveform as when recording (or playing - as long as they look the same)?Never seen that here. Are Record and Playback faders unlinked(in preferences)? Why does it matter?(IOW, remember to use your ears more and your eyes less:-))
4. New track default settings - I'd like to create a track with default settings, like input and output, monitoring while recording etc. I have managed to create a track preset. Is this the only way or is there another?Track presets are probably the best way, but; Output should be always set to your main("normal") output. Not sure why you would have changing needs for monitoring. Talking about 1 track at a time, how much time does it take to select an input? I guess we've become a world of people staring at the microwave yelling, "come on, already":p
5. Cursor following recording / play - I've found this one under options -> window scrolling but sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Do I need to have my mouse focused at something, a clip maybe?Without watching you work, I have no idea either. Certainly having a clip selected(highlighted) will cause playback to be constrained to that clip, and act accordingly. Personally, I set scrolling to PAGE and it works as expected
6. Zoom in/out ratio - The ratio between the different zoom settings is too big. I would like to have a smaller ratio.Start using the R and T keys for horizontal zoom, and the E key for quick-zoom of any selected clip(s). BTW, Keyboard Focus needs to be ON for these(another good thing to watch a tutorial for as seeing beats reading)

albee1952 05-13-2021 07:44 AM

7. Link Faders - I would like to select a bunch of channels so that if I change a setting it changes to all of them simultaneously. Like in Reaper, if I select a channel and move the fader (or pan), the fader (or pan) moves on each selected channel.Groups are what you need to learn for this function
8. Deselect channel - It seems that when I select a channel it becomes white but I can't deselect it/themClicking any other track will de-select the previous. Alt-Click on the name(Windows) will de-select a track(or all tracks if you accidentally selected all)Guessing the Mac equivalent is Option-Click?

albee1952 05-13-2021 07:45 AM

Sorry about the split up reply, but the DUC likes to give me an "Access Denied" message any time I type a long response.

The learning curve on any DAW is painful, but its much worse when moving from one DAW to another. Give yourself some time and watch lots of tutorials and it will make sense pretty quickly(hey, you might even find some things make more sense in Pro Tools):o