Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Using Virtual Instruments without Midi Keyboard (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=282022)

hendrixrocker2 09-13-2010 02:29 PM

Using Virtual Instruments without Midi Keyboard

I have this old Casio Keyboard with a Midi in and Midi out slots but no cord to connect it to my Mbox 2 Mini or to my computer. So...

While I wait to purchase a new keyboard, is there anyway to use these Virtual instruments with my mouse or computer keyboard?

and is there anyway to connect old keyboards such as my to a computer? I've been looking at this, do you think it'll work?
http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Converte...pr_product_top

spkguitar 09-13-2010 03:00 PM

Re: Using Virtual Instruments without Midi Keyboard

Virtual instruments can be used without a keyboard. You would just need to enter the notes manually. (meaning, you won't actually be able to play them)

You can connect your old keyboard as well. I would probably not recommend the MIDI interface you linked, though it might work. I would trust and recommend the M-Audio Uno a lot more. You can get it for about $40 new.

hendrixrocker2 09-13-2010 03:04 PM

Would I be better off spending $100 and just getting a new Midi keyboard that connects with USB, rather than getting a cord for $40?

spkguitar 09-13-2010 03:08 PM

It depends; which $100 keyboard? :D

Most likely, the answer will be "yes".

Some of the older keyboards, especially the "consumer grade" Casio and Yamaha models are overly complicated with regards to getting MIDI working properly, and you will be much better off with a newer keyboard, especially one that connects via USB.

rogeriofurtadojr 05-31-2023 03:16 PM

I believe this cable will work.
I also recommend that you take a look at some midi controller keyboards that are relatively inexpensive and good for working with virtual instruments. :-)

albee1952 06-01-2023 04:18 PM

Another option is to get a USB-MIDI interface. I have had great success with a MOTU Fastlane USB for over 10 years:o The one I have has dual ports(A and B) for both directions so it allows for 2 keyboard controllers(or 1 and a drum e-kit module like the old Roland TD-7/8/10 boxes):D

Fuzzyc 02-17-2024 10:55 AM

I have a Korg SP-250 MIDI keyboard. It's worked well for many years. However, I can't get the keyboard to function like a true MIDI keyboard. I really don't want to buy a new keyboard, given that this one has worked for many year. Can someone please provide me the necessary information needed to get this keyboard work as a true "MIDI Keyboard"?

I've done this several times over the years, but I can't get it working this go-around. I was out of commission for a few months recently, due to an illness, so I'm having a tough time getting everything back in order.

I will be very grateful for any help you can provide!
FYI - I've been using ProTools since for about 20 years.

Darryl Ramm 02-17-2024 11:13 AM

Here you are again spamming onto other unrelated threads.

Nobody here likely had any clue what you mean by things like "true MIDI keyboard". As pointed out before you should describe what you are doing and what exactly is not working as expected. And I have given you a list of common midi related problem causes before, did you try any of them? People cannot help you if they have no clue what is going on, and DUC is not the place to get an entire tutorial on how to setup MIDI keyboards (and presumably VIs? But it's unclear if you are using VIs or outboard MIDI playback devices because you give almost no useful details). And with so much past experience you should be able to describe what you are doing and what is not working.

I have pointed you at how to create a new thread before, please stop spreading these stupid information lacking posts all over DUC and get focused on your problem in your own clear thread.

Maybe a moderator can move these posts to your their own thread.

albee1952 02-24-2024 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzzyc (Post 2694614)
I have a Korg SP-250 MIDI keyboard. It's worked well for many years. However, I can't get the keyboard to function like a true MIDI keyboard. I really don't want to buy a new keyboard, given that this one has worked for many year. Can someone please provide me the necessary information needed to get this keyboard work as a true "MIDI Keyboard"?

I've done this several times over the years, but I can't get it working this go-around. I was out of commission for a few months recently, due to an illness, so I'm having a tough time getting everything back in order.

I will be very grateful for any help you can provide!
FYI - I've been using ProTools since for about 20 years.

On Windows, if its not configured properly under the Setup>Midi>Midi Studio menu, its not going to function properly(or at all). I can't speak for Macs on this.